Connect with us

News

Wike sues FCT workers over indefinite strike

Published

on

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, has taken the Joint Unions Action Committee of the Federal Capital Territory Administration to court over the ongoing strike by FCTA workers, as the dispute heads for a hearing on Monday.

Workers of the FCTA and the Federal Capital Development Authority commenced an indefinite strike on Monday after the expiration of a seven-day ultimatum, grounding activities across major government offices in Abuja.

The industrial action shut down operations at the FCTA Secretariat, prompting the deployment of operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps and the Nigeria Police Force to restrict access to the complex.

Despite claims by the FCTA management that most of the workers’ demands had been met, the JUAC rejected the assertion and insisted that the issues at stake remained unresolved.

The lawsuit, sighted by our correspondent on Thursday, was filed at the Abuja Division of the National Industrial Court of Nigeria.

It bears suit number NICN/ABJ/17/2026 and is being presided over by Justice E. D. Subilim.

The claimants are the FCT Minister and the FCTA, while the defendants are the President of JUAC, Rifkatu Iortyer, and the Secretary General, Abdullahi Saleh, sued in their representative capacities.

Court documents sighted by The PUNCH indicated that the minister and the FCTA are seeking an order restraining the unions and their agents from engaging in picketing, obstruction, lockouts or any action directed at the claimants, departmental heads and political appointees.

The unions were accused of blocking roads, shutting offices and disrupting the smooth running of the FCT administration.

See also  Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon

At the hearing of the application, counsel for the claimants were present in court, while the defendants were absent.

The minister and the FCTA were represented by a team of senior lawyers, including Ogwu Onoja (SAN); M.A. Ebute (SAN); George Ibrahim (SAN); K.O. Mustapha and Esther Audu.

After reviewing the affidavits and written submissions, Justice Subilim held that the applicants had established sufficient grounds for the reliefs sought and granted leave for substituted service of court processes on the defendants.

In a ruling delivered on January 21, the court granted leave for substituted service of court processes on the defendants.

The judge ordered that service be effected through publication in Leadership Newspaper or any other national daily, as well as by pasting the processes at the JUAC office located at the FCTA Secretariat, No. 1 Kapital Street, Area 11, Garki, Abuja.

The court ruled that this mode of service would be deemed valid and proper.

 

 

Justice Subilim said, “Having listened to counsel for applicants and taking a close look at the reliefs, the affidavit and the written address thereto, I am of the view that the applicant has established a case to warrant the granting of the reliefs sought. “Accordingly, an order for leave is hereby granted to serve the originating processes and any or all subsequent process in this suit on the defendants by substituted means by advertising/publishing same in the Leadership Newspaper or any other National Newspaper or Daily in Nigeria and pasting same on the premises of Joint Union Action Committee at FCTA Secretariat No 1 Kapital Street, Area l1, Garki, Abuja.

See also  Ogun warns traders as refuse overruns Lagos-Ibadan Expressway

“An order is hereby granted, deeming the said mode of service as good and proper service on the Defendants. This case is hereby adjourned to 26/01/2026 for Motion on Notion.”

Meanwhile, JUAC has vowed to continue the strike action despite the legal challenge.

In a statement issued on Thursday and signed by its Publicity Secretary, Holina Adejoh, the union leadership commended workers for complying with its directive to stay away from work.

“We sincerely appreciate you for complying with the directive to stay at home. The strike action continues until our demands are met,” the statement said.

JUAC confirmed it was aware of the court action, stating, “The union wishes to bring to the notice of all staff that the Minister of the FCTA has taken us to court.”

The union insisted it would not be intimidated into suspending the strike, declaring, “We will not relent in the struggle nor allow agents of oppression to cow us into submission. JUAC will not succumb to any form of intimidation or harassment by any means.”

Appealing for unity among workers, the statement urged continued compliance with the strike directive, adding, “We appeal for your cooperation. Do well to continue to stay at home until further directive from JUAC.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Lawmakers claim tax laws altered, warn of constitutional breach

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Six Dead, 23 Injured in Lagos–Ibadan Expressway Crash

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending