Connect with us

News

Starmer slams Man United’s co-owner Ratcliffe over immigration comments

Published

on

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer has described comments about immigration made by Manchester United co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe as “offensive and wrong”, after the billionaire businessman said the UK had been “colonised by immigrants”.

Sir Jim, founder of chemicals giant Ineos, made the remarks during an interview with Sky News at the European Industry Summit in Antwerp, Belgium.

He argued that high immigration and rising welfare costs were placing pressure on the country’s economy.

“You can’t have an economy with nine million people on benefits and huge levels of immigrants coming in,” he said. “The UK has been colonised by immigrants, really, hasn’t it?”

He also claimed the UK population had risen from 58 million in 2020 to 70 million today.

However, the Office for National Statistics estimates show the population was 66.7 million in mid-2020 and 69.4 million in mid-2025 — an increase of about 2.7 million.

As reported by the BBC, responding on Wednesday evening, the prime minister said Britain was “a proud, tolerant and diverse country” and called on Sir Jim to apologise.

A Downing Street spokesperson said the comments “play into the hands of those who want to divide our country”.

Sir Jim also suggested that political leaders would need to be prepared to take unpopular decisions to address immigration and welfare.

“If you really want to deal with the major issues of immigration… you’re going to have to do some things which are unpopular, and show some courage,” he said, adding that the prime minister faced a “tough job”.

The remarks prompted criticism from across the political spectrum. Liberal Democrat leader Sir Ed Davey described them as “totally wrong” and “out of step with British values”. Labour MP Stella Creasy said Sir Jim did “not seem to understand the contribution” immigrants make to the country.

See also  MURIC Rejects Life Imprisonment For Terrorists, Advocates Capital Punishment

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage said Britain had undergone “unprecedented mass immigration” that had changed many communities, adding that while Labour may “try to ignore that”, Reform would not.

Fan groups linked to Manchester United also condemned the comments. The Manchester United Supporters Trust said no supporter should feel excluded because of their race, religion, or background, adding that senior leadership should unite fans rather than marginalise them.

The Manchester United Muslim Supporters Club said it was “deeply concerned”, arguing that the term “colonised” echoed language used in far-right narratives that portray migrants as invaders.

Anti-racism organisations Kick It Out and Show Racism the Red Card described the remarks as divisive. At the same time, The 1958 Group of supporters called them “very ill-advised” and criticised Sir Jim for commenting on UK affairs while living in Monaco.

Sir Jim, 73, acquired a 27.7% stake in Manchester United in 2024 and has overseen significant restructuring at the club, including hundreds of redundancies and managerial changes.

He acknowledged some of his decisions had been unpopular but said they were necessary to “get the big issues sorted out”.

According to the Sunday Times Rich List, Sir Jim is the seventh richest person in the UK, with an estimated net worth of £17bn. He reportedly moved to Monaco in 2020.

The BBC has approached Ineos and Manchester United for comment.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  MURIC Rejects Life Imprisonment For Terrorists, Advocates Capital Punishment

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Obaseki failed Edo, Oshiomhole replies PDP
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  US President Donald Trump threatens military action should k!lling of Christians continue in Nigeria

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending