Connect with us

News

Again, fire razes Yobe Fika main market, shops, others destroyed

Published

on

A catastrophic fire erupted and razed Fika main market in Fika Local Government Area of Yobe State on Monday, wreaking havoc on many local businesses.

According to reports, the inferno did not only destroy vital infrastructure at the market but also disrupted the livelihood of dozens of individuals who depend on the market for daily sustenance.

The incident which occurred yesterday came a few minutes after authorities reviewed plans to support victims of previous fire outbreaks in Bukarti and other communities in Yunusari, Geidam and Yusufari local government areas.

Yobe State Emergency Management Agency has confirmed the incident where it commiserated with the affected business operators at the market.

“Government stands firmly with you in this trying moment and will continue to provide the necessary support within available resources”, SEMA said.

The agency urged all communities to remain at alert, prioritize safety, and report emergencies promptly.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Fubara sacks commissioners, others
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu confirms killing of ISIS leader in Nigeria-US joint operation; read details

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has announced the killing of a senior Islamic State leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, during a joint operation carried out by Nigerian and United States forces in the Lake Chad Basin.

In a statement personally signed on Saturday, Tinubu said the operation marked “a significant example of effective collaboration in the fight against terrorism” between both countries.

The President said Nigerian troops, working with the US Armed Forces, carried out “a daring joint operation that dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State.”

He added that “early assessments confirm the elimination of the wanted IS senior leader, Abu-Bilal Al-Manuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound in the Lake Chad Basin.”

Tinubu described the operation as a major step in advancing the security objectives of both countries and commended the forces involved for their conduct.

“Nigeria appreciates this partnership with the United States in advancing our shared security objectives. I extend my sincere gratitude to President Trump for his leadership and unwavering support in this effort,” the statement read.

The President also praised military personnel from both countries, saying, “I commend the personnel involved on both sides for their professionalism and courage, and I look forward to more decisive strikes against all terrorist enclaves across the nation.”

The development comes amid renewed military offensives against insurgent groups operating in the North-East and the Lake Chad region, where Islamic State-linked factions have sustained attacks on military formations and civilian communities.

United States President Donald Trump had earlier confirmed the operation, describing Al-Minuki as “the most active terrorist in the world.”

See also  Electoral Act : El-Rufai backs protest, blasts senate

“Tonight, at my direction, brave American forces and the Armed Forces of Nigeria flawlessly executed a meticulously planned and very complex mission to eliminate the most active terrorist in the world from the battlefield,” Trump wrote on Truth Social on Friday.

Trump said the slain militant leader, whom he described as the “second in command of ISIS globally,” had believed he could evade capture in Africa.

“Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, second in command of ISIS globally, thought he could hide in Africa, but little did he know we had sources who kept us informed on what he was doing,” he said.

The US leader added that Al-Minuki, who was placed under American sanctions in 2023 over his ties to the Islamic State group, would “no longer terrorize the people of Africa, or help plan operations to target Americans.”

He further stated that “with his removal, ISIS’s global operation is greatly diminished,” while thanking the Nigerian government for its “partnership” in the operation.

The joint operation underscores growing security cooperation between Nigeria and the United States as both countries intensify efforts to weaken extremist networks operating across the Lake Chad Basin and the wider West African region.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

NDLEA trains NYSC members in Edo

Published

on

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Edo Command on Thursday trained members of the National Youth Service Corps Drug Free Club as anti-drug abuse advocates.

The specialised one-day “Anti-Drug Abuse Train the Trainer” seminar, held in Benin on Thursday, was meant to strengthen grassroots sensitisation and prevention efforts among young people.

Speaking during the event, Mitchell Ofoyeju, who is the state Commander of the NDLEA, said the initiative was designed to equip corps members with the knowledge and skills required to champion drug abuse prevention campaigns in their communities.

Ofoyeju, who officially decorated the President of the NYSC Drug Free Club, Patience Ichin, as a War Against Drug Abuse partner, urged the corps members to serve as role models and peer educators in the fight against substance abuse.

He also presented copies of the NDLEA Edo State Command magazine to participants to support their advocacy activities.

Delivering a lecture titled, “Drug Use Among Youth: A Global Perspective,” Ofoyeju highlighted the growing prevalence of substance abuse among young people and its social, health and security implications.

According to him, youths remain one of the most vulnerable groups affected by drug abuse, making preventive education and community engagement critical in tackling the menace.

Also speaking, the Head of Counselling, Treatment and Rehabilitation of the command, Hope Aigbogun, stressed the importance of the NYSC Drug Free Club in combating drug abuse.

Aigbogun described corps members as strategic change agents capable of influencing positive behavioural change among their peers and within communities.

See also  VIDEO: VP Shettima arrives in Kwara over tragic terrorist attack that claimed 100

The training also featured a drug exhibition session where participants were exposed to various illicit substances and educated on their harmful effects

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Atiku demands release of El-Rufai before Eid celebrations, says detention unfair

Published

on

Ex-Vice President Atiku Abubakar on Friday called on federal authorities and the Kaduna State Government to immediately release former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai, describing his continued detention before the Eid-el-Kabir celebrations as “cruel, unjustifiable, and deeply troubling.”

Atiku described the situation as a violation of civil liberties, democratic norms and the rule of law, and warned against the use of state institutions to intimidate perceived political opponents.

The position was contained in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu.

The former vice president, a chieftain of the African Democratic Congress, described El-Rufai’s continued detention as politically provocative and inconsistent with the principles of justice and democracy.

He said: “At a time when millions of Muslims across Nigeria and around the world are preparing to celebrate Eid-el-Kabir — a sacred season of sacrifice, compassion, forgiveness, and family reunion — it would be unconscionable for any government to weaponise state power in a manner that denies a citizen his liberty without just cause, particularly in circumstances that raise legitimate concerns about political persecution.

“Eid is a time for mercy, reconciliation, and humanity. There is absolutely no justification for keeping a man away from his family during such a solemn and spiritually significant occasion, especially where due process has not been clearly demonstrated.

“I therefore call for the immediate release of Mallam El-Rufai and urge all relevant authorities to rise above political bitterness and act in the interest of justice, peace, and national cohesion.”

Atiku said the Federal Government and Kaduna State authorities must ensure that democracy is judged by how fairly perceived opponents are treated, warning that selective justice undermines confidence in the rule of law.

He said that if the former Kaduna governor is being detained through a legal process, authorities should be transparent with Nigerians.

See also  Jigawa LG unveils monthly allowances for ex-council chairmen, others

“Mallam El-Rufai, regardless of political differences or shifting alliances, remains a Nigerian citizen entitled to the full protection of the Constitution, including his rights to dignity, liberty, and due process.

“Democracy does not grant the government the licence to punish dissent, settle political scores, or deploy coercive institutions as instruments of intimidation.

“The Federal Government and the Kaduna State authorities must understand that selective justice is injustice. The credibility of any democracy is measured not by how it treats loyalists, but by how it treats perceived opponents,” he said.

The demand comes one week after the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission announced that a Federal High Court in Kaduna granted El-Rufai access to medical treatment while in custody.

The ruling followed a plea by defence counsel during proceedings in the ongoing trial of the former governor over alleged money laundering and corruption-related offences.

El-Rufai and co-defendant Joel Adoga are facing a 10-count charge before Justice Rilwan Aikawa of the Federal High Court, Kaduna, bordering on alleged conversion and possession of proceeds of corruption, as well as money laundering contrary to the Money Laundering (Prevention and Prohibition) Act, 2022.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending