Connect with us

News

Alleged coup plot: DSS moves detained Islamic cleric, Zaria to court for trial

Published

on

Sheik Abdukadir Sani Zaria, the Islamic scholar arrested by Defence Intelligence Agency, DIA, in connection with the alleged plot to overthrow the government of President Bola Tinubu has been moved to the Federal High Court in Abuja for prosecution.

He was brought to court with a retinue of security escorts and his personal associates.

Sani who has been in the detention facility of the DIA and later the Department of the State Service, DSS, since December 2025, was named among the six coup plotters on the charge sheet filed by the Federal Government and billed for arraignment in court today, Wednesday.

He is to be put on trial by the Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, AGF, along with five others, including military officers accused of plotting to wage war against the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The Islamic cleric was named in counts 1, 2, 3,4, 6 and 7 of conspiring with others to commit felony while he was separately charged on count 9 of the 13-count charge.

Among the accusations against him were that he conspired to bring down a legitimate government, concealed information on the coup plot and rendered support to the coup plotters.

In count 9, the cleric was accused of retaining a sum of N2 million in his account with number 0005620270 domiciled at Jaiz Bank and transferred into the account by a Company, “A & A Express Link Concept” whose ownership was traced to one Colonel Mohammed Alhassan Ma’aji, said to be the arrow head of the coup plot.

See also  Ogun residents protest after fatal crash kills four pupils

His offense of terrorism financing was said to be contrary to section 18 (2) (d) of the Money Laundering Prevention and Prohibition Act 2022 and punishable under section 18 (3) of the same Act.

Justice Peter Odo Lifu of the Federal High Court in Abuja had on Monday ordered immediate unconditional release of the Islamic scholar from the custody of the
DIA and later the DSS.

The judge had imposed a fine of N2 million each on DIA and DSS to be paid to the cleric for breaching sections 35 and 36 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s Constitution in the ways and manners the 75 year old man was hauled into detention for more than four months without trial.

In a judgment on the fundamental rights suit instituted against DIA and others by the detained Islamic cleric,

Justice Lifu ordered the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, and Jaiz Bank to pay N1 million each as compensation to him for freezing his bank account without order of any law court.

Besides, the Federal High Court directed the DIA and DSS to tender a public apology to the detained islamic scholar for the breach of his fundamental rights.

Sheikh Sani Abdulladir Zaria was hauled into detention without order of court for allegedly associating with one of coup plotters against President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Justice Lifu had lambasted the DIA for its refusal to subordinate itself to civil rule and rule of law by refusing to produce the detained man in court when ordered to do so.

See also  Kebbi gov signs N642.9bn 2026 budget into law

He said that as agency established by law, the DIA should not place itself above the laws of the land in the discharge of its statutory functions.

The judge held that the provisions of Section 36(1)(5) and (6) of the 1999 Constitution avail him and “for all citizens.”

He noted that Nigeria, being a signatory to different international conventions on human rights, cannot afford to be held behind on such issues.

The judge noted that since December 11, 2025, the applicant was kept in “safe custody” without access to family and associates after an investigation was opened about him, on grounds described as security reasons.

Justice Lifu ordered the AGF to ensure immediate compliance with the judgment of the court.

The cleric had been hauled into the DIA custody since December last year following the discovery of N2 million in his Jaiz Bank account paid by one of the indicted coup plotters.

Although he agreed to forfeit the amount to the Federal Government to regain his freedom, the security agency held him to determine the level of his complicity in the alleged coup plot.

The Islamic cleric claimed innocence of the alleged crimes adding that the person who transferred the money into his account was just one of his disciples.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  NCAA petitions Attorney-General and IGP to prosecute KWAM1

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  NCAA petitions Attorney-General and IGP to prosecute KWAM1
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Kebbi gov signs N642.9bn 2026 budget into law

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending