Connect with us

Crime

Alleged $14.8m fraud: Timipre Sylva asks EFCC for appearance date

Published

on

Former Minister of State for Petroleum, Chief Timipre Sylva, has written to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission seeking a mutually agreed date to honour its invitation over an alleged $14.8m fraud.

Sylva, in a letter he personally signed and addressed to the EFCC Chairman, Ola Olukoyede, faulted the commission’s move to declare him wanted, saying he had never shunned any lawful invitation.

The letter, dated November 24 and acknowledged by the EFCC on November 26, stated that he was currently receiving urgent medical care for a “life-threatening condition.”

He said he was consulting his medical team to determine whether he could temporarily suspend treatment to appear before the commission.

“In view of the foregoing, I most humbly request that a mutually agreed date be set, subject to medical clearance, to enable me appear physically and formally,” he wrote.

“I trust that the objective of your invitation is not to unalive, but to genuinely investigate an alleged crime. For only the living can appropriately, fully and responsibly respond to any allegation, which I firmly and respectfully deny.”

Sylva recalled recent events that had put him, his family, and associates under pressure, beginning with “an unverified accusation” linking him to an alleged plot to undermine the authority of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

He noted that the matter escalated into a military raid on his Abuja residence, during which several persons, including his drivers, security aides and domestic staff, were arrested and remain in detention.

“While still grappling with the emotional and psychological strain of those events, I was on Monday, November 10, 2025, publicly declared wanted by your esteemed agency over an alleged $14.8m fraud,” he said.

See also  See how FG moves to recover unremitted funds before April

Sylva insisted he had previously honoured an EFCC invitation in December 2024 in relation to the same matter, after which he was granted administrative bail on self-recognition and told he would be contacted again if needed.

“To the best of my knowledge and belief, no further invitation or correspondence was issued to me thereafter,” he wrote, saying it was “deeply surprising and profoundly unsettling” to learn through a public announcement that he had been declared wanted.

He also rejected claims that he jumped bail, stating that “no such incident occurred, nor was any such bail condition ever violated.”

Sylva said the recent actions against him may create “a public impression of political witch-hunt,” adding that he has appeared to be “a target since the beginning of this administration.”

Sylva, a chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, has recently been linked to a rumoured aborted military coup.

His Abuja home was raided by operatives believed to be from military intelligence, and he was subsequently declared wanted by the EFCC.

During the raid, his younger brother, Paga, who serves as his Special Assistant on Domestic Affairs, and his driver were reportedly arrested.

His Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Julius Bokoru, confirmed the raid but denied Sylva’s involvement in any coup plot.

He accused unnamed politicians of orchestrating mischief because they view the former governor as a threat to their ambitions.

Bokoru also criticised the EFCC for declaring Sylva wanted, saying he was never invited before the announcement.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

EFCC to grill Malami as probe may open Buhari-era asset recovery deals to fresh scrutiny

Published

on

Former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), says he has been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), a move that could reopen long-standing questions around asset recoveries, seized-asset disposals and contract approvals handled during the Buhari administration.

Malami revealed this in a statement he personally signed and shared on Facebook, reaffirming his readiness to honour the invitation. He maintained that his public service record has always been shaped by accountability and transparency.

“This is to confirm that I have been invited by the EFCC. As a law-abiding and patriotic citizen, I hereby reaffirm my commitment to honour the invitation,” Malami wrote.

He stressed that the ideals of openness and responsible governance have guided his conduct over the years. “I understand the spirit of accountability and transparency in public service, the principles that I both advocate and champion,” the ex-Justice Minister stated.

Malami explained that he had already informed his family and friends of the development, noting that the EFCC had asked him to clarify certain issues, and he was prepared to do so.

“I am informing my family and friends that EFCC has invited me to clarify on some issues, and as a citizen of law and order and patriot, I am willing to honor this invitation without any hesitation,” he declared.

He also emphasised that honesty and integrity had always shaped his approach to leadership during his years in government.

“I believe in the importance of honesty, integrity and honesty in leadership, these are principles I’ve long supported and uphold, over the years I’ve spent in public service,” he said.

See also  APC defends Yilwatda amidst fierce opposition over INEC ties

Malami added that he would keep Nigerians informed as events unfold, saying transparency remains important in matters of public interest.

“On this note, I am informing Nigerians of any development that will follow, so that everyone will be aware,” he added.

As of the time of filing this report, Malami had not yet arrived at the EFCC headquarters. Officials of the Commission say they only intend to obtain “certain information” from him.

However, Saturday Vanguard learnt that the invitation may be linked to several controversial decisions taken during his tenure. These include high-profile asset recoveries, the sale or disposal of seized vessels and oil, and contract approvals that had earlier drawn public scrutiny.

According to sources, some of these actions raised concerns about the transparency and management of recovered national assets.

The EFCC has yet to release details on the full scope of its inquiry.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

37 Katsina kidnap victims regain freedom after negotiations with bandits -Lawmaker

Published

on

Bandits have released 37 villagers abducted from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State after weeks of negotiations that led to a peace agreement, a lawmaker, Abdulraham Kandarawa, has said.

Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the state House of Assembly, said on Friday that the latest release brought the number of freed villagers to 82.

He had earlier disclosed that 45 captives were freed under the same peace arrangement.

Speaking to journalists in Katsina, Kandarawa said the villagers, held in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, were released without ransom following sustained negotiations with the bandits.

“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.

The released hostages include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.

Kandarawa emphasised that the bandits had promised to release the captives if the community maintained peace, a commitment they fulfilled.

“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” Kandarawa appealed, highlighting the negotiation’s foundation on promises of non-violence.

The lawmaker thanked the bandits for adhering to their word, stressing that no ransom was paid.

“This is what they promised, and they fulfilled it today,” he said.

However, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda has earlier denied negotiations with bandits while on several fora said it was purely a community initiative while he applauded the initiative as well celebrated the return of peace to the state through the truce.

Continue Reading

Crime

50 Nigerians arrested in India drug busts

Published

on

No fewer than 50 Nigerians have been arrested in one of India’s largest coordinated crackdowns on a transnational narcotics network. They are believed to be linked to a sprawling drug-distribution and hawala laundering syndicate spread across several major cities in India.

According to a report on Thursday by NDTV, an Indian news agency, the operation was led by the Delhi Police in collaboration with the Telangana Police’s EAGLE unit.

It was reported that months of intelligence gathering culminated in days of simultaneous raids across Delhi, leading officers to dismantle key layers of a cartel moving methamphetamine and cocaine across India.

According to the report, investigations revealed that the cartel maintained an extensive customer base using encrypted communication and delivery methods modelled after food-delivery apps to execute drug “dead drops” and avoid face-to-face exchanges.

“The network was extremely sophisticated. They used layered communication channels and app-based delivery patterns to evade law-enforcement detection,” the report stated.

Officials also disclosed that the syndicate’s distribution chain was intertwined with a sex-trade ring, which provided both cover and logistics for drug circulation.

The report reads, “Investigators have identified approximately 2,000 individuals who were supplied drugs through courier and dead-drop methods.”

“Furthermore, the authorities uncovered that the sex trade was used as a cover for drug supply and distribution, extending the criminal reach of the cartel.”

The report further stated, “The operation, which involved months of intelligence gathering, culminated with the arrest of 50 Nigerian nationals in Delhi. This massive effort was executed in close collaboration with the Telangana Police’s Elite Action Group for Drug Law Enforcement, along with police teams from Noida, Vizag, and Gwalior.”

See also  Oil output slumps as Nigeria, Libya, Venezuela drag OPEC+ targets

On the financial side, authorities said the cartel routed its proceeds through hawala operators. The illicit profits were converted into goods, including garments and human hair, which were exported to Lagos, Nigeria, disguising the drug earnings as legitimate trade.

“The proceeds from drug sales were funnelled through local hawala operators who converted the Indian Rupees into goods such as garments and human hair, shipped to Lagos, Nigeria, effectively cleaning the illicit earnings.”

“One identified kingpin is suspected to have laundered at least ₹15 crore through these hawala channels alone,” the report added.

The report, however, noted that the recent arrest of the 50 Nigerian nationals marked a pivotal moment in multi-agency efforts to root out these persistent drug cartels.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported multiple arrests of Nigerians in India over synthetic-drug trafficking, including seizures in Bengaluru, Delhi and Goa, where foreign nationals were linked to methamphetamine circuits.

The latest coordinated crackdown, which resulted in the arrest of 50 suspects of Nigerian nationality, is now regarded by Indian police as a major step toward disrupting what they described as an “entrenched and continually evolving” narcotics supply chain.

Police officials said the next phase of the investigation will focus on tightening immigration checks, tracking hawala facilitators, and identifying remaining cartel commanders believed to be operating from outside India.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending