Connect with us

News

Explosion alleged in Abia building collapse, lawyer urges expanded probe

Published

on

As the Abia State Government and the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria are set to launch their separate investigations over the collapse of a three-storey building in Umuahia in the early hours of last Saturday, a Umuahia-based legal practitioner, Goodman Iheikwunacho, on Wednesday urged them to look beyond preconceived factors and dig deeper.

He had also alleged that reports indicated a boom or explosion sound was heard before the building crumbled.

The two teams have indicated their interest in investigating the incident, as the state government, through the Umuahia Capital Development Authority, has announced that it was going to carry out investigations as well as an integrity test on the rest of the standing 2-storey buildings belonging to the same owner in the compound.

Fielding questions from newsmen in Umuahia following concerns generated by the unfortunate incident in which a 35-year-old woman, Blessing Ugochukwu, and her two young children miraculously survived, Iheikwunacho advised, “The scope of investigations should not be circumscribed but expanded beyond the obvious factors so that the real cause of the building collapse will be unravelled and future occurrences prevented.”

While stressing the need for investigators to go beyond the usual technical issues of structural defects and non-compliance with building regulations, Iheikwunacho said, “There should be a check for possible sabotage, taking into consideration all the circumstances.

“I am aware that the owner of the collapsed building, Chief Ikechi Emenike, is a well-known political figure and governorship candidate of the APC here in Abia State in 2023. So, you can’t rule out the possibility that his enemies could be at work.

See also  Panick as Abuja-Kaduna Train Derails

“I have also read reports in the media quoting residents of the area where the building collapsed as saying that they heard a loud boom (sound), which some said sounded like thunder; others said it sounded like an explosion.”

A property and commercial lawyer, Iheikwunacho stated, “As a top politician, you never can tell if there are people nursing grievances against him (Emenike) and might resort to doing all sorts of things to damage his name and image.”

He insisted that investigations should include looking out for extraneous factors that might have brought down the building, adding, “When an edifice crumbles like a pack of cards, a whole lot of things could have been responsible.

“So, let the investigators open their minds and approach their job from every angle and every possible lead, and in that way arrive at a conclusion that would not be questionable.”

The Abia State Government, which is set to carry out integrity tests on the two remaining buildings, has also announced that all new and old buildings in Umuahia that are above two floors will be subjected to integrity tests in order to forestall future occurrences of building collapse.

Meanwhile, COREN, Umuahia Area Office, is also poised to launch its own investigation, having already sent a technical team to the scene of the collapsed building for a preliminary assessment of the situation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  US Secretary of war expresses readiness to act over attacks on Christian in Nigeria

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Diezani lavished over N4bn in London luxury store – UK prosecutor

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigeria, Türkiye strengthen defence, economic ties ahead of Tinubu’s visit
Continue Reading

Trending