Connect with us

News

Trump’s envoy arrives in Israel as Gaza criticism mounts

Published

on

US President Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff arrived in Israel on Thursday to discuss ways to end the crisis in Gaza, where nearly 22 months of grinding war and dire shortages of food have drawn mounting international criticism.

Gaza’s civil defence agency reported dozens of Palestinians killed late Wednesday when Israeli forces opened fire on a crowd attempting to block an aid convoy — the latest in a spate of near-daily incidents of desperate aid seekers being shot.

The Israeli military confirmed having fired “warning shots” as Gazans gathered around aid trucks, but said it had no knowledge of casualties in the incident. An AFP correspondent saw the bullet-riddled corpses of Palestinians in Gaza’s al-Shifa hospital.

Jameel Ashour, who lost a relative in the shooting, told AFP at the overflowing morgue that Israel troops had opened fire after a crowd surged towards the convoy.

“When people saw thieves stealing and dropping food, the hungry crowd rushed in hopes of getting some,” he said.

With indirect ceasefire and hostage release negotiations between Hamas and Israel at an impasse, Witkoff will meet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss humanitarian aid and the “next steps” on Gaza.

He may also visit a US-backed humanitarian group distributing food in Gaza, according to Israeli reports.

Witkoff has been the top US representative in indirect ceasefire negotiations between Israel and Hamas, but the discussions broke down last week when Israel and the United States recalled their delegations from Doha.

Israel is under mounting international pressure to agree a ceasefire and allow the world to flood a hungry Gaza with food, with Canada the latest Western country to announce plans to recognise a Palestinian state.

See also  Turkey probes Israel’s arrest of 24 citizens in international waters

– MAGA doubts –

Trump has been Israel’s staunchest international defender at a time when concerns about the campaign in Gaza have left Netanyahu increasingly isolated on the world stage, but the two leaders have occasionally found themselves at odds of late.

Earlier this week Trump promised to get more humanitarian aid into Gaza, warning that the territory faces “real starvation” — directly contradicting Netanyahu’s insistence that reports of hunger were exaggerated.

UN-backed experts, meanwhile, have reported “famine is now unfolding” in Gaza, with news images of sick and emaciated children drawing outrage and powers like France, the UK and now Canada lining up to support Palestinian statehood.

Trump is now reportedly concerned that his most fervent domestic US supporters, the so-called “MAGA base”, are turning against Israel.

Israel is also under pressure to resolve the crisis from other traditional supporters.

Germany’s top diplomat Johann Wadephul was expected in Jerusalem on Thursday for talks with Netanyahu and Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar.

– ‘Warning shots’ –

In Canada, Prime Minister Mark Carney warned that the worsening suffering of civilians in Gaza left “no room for delay in coordinated international action to support peace”.

Israel blasted Canada’s announcement as part of a “distorted campaign of international pressure”, while Trump warned that trade negotiations with Ottawa could be hurt by what Washington regards as a premature bid to back Palestine.

The fighting in Gaza has lasted for almost 22 months, triggered by Hamas’ October 7, 2023 attack on Israel, which left 1,219 people dead, according to a tally based on official figures.

See also  Malami asks EFCC chair to step aside, alleges bias

Of the 251 Israelis kidnapped that day, 49 are still held in Gaza, 27 of them declared dead by the Israeli military.

The Israeli campaign has since killed 60,249 Palestinians, according to a tally from the Hamas government’s health ministry, and this week UN aid agencies warned that deaths from starvation had begun.

In the incident Wednesday night, Gaza’s civil defence agency said gunfire killed at least 58 people in a crowd gathered around a humanitarian aid convoy in the north of the territory.

According to an AFP correspondent and witnesses, the trucks had entered Gaza through the Israeli military checkpoint at Zikim, on their way to World Central Kitchen and the World Food Programme warehouses in Gaza City.

Thousands of people rushed to stop the trucks before they continued to the warehouses, and shooting erupted.

Separately, the Hamas-led Gaza government’s health ministry issued a statement Thursday begging Palestinians not to loot a new aid convoy, warning that it contained no food but instead medical supplies for the territory’s hard-pressed hospitals.

Another 32 people were reported killed by the civil defence on Thursday in Israeli attacks across Gaza.

Media restrictions in Gaza and difficulties accessing many areas mean AFP cannot independently verify tolls and details provided by the civil defence and other parties.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Turkey probes Israel’s arrest of 24 citizens in international waters

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ex-CDS Musa meets Tinubu as Irabor dismisses B’Haram recruitment claim
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Build Nigeria from grassroots, not just Abuja, Lagos – Ex-presidential candidate

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  House of Reps probe foreign interest in Edo museum

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending