Connect with us

News

Court threatens to revoke Sowore’s bail over absenteeism

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday threatened to revoke the bail earlier granted the publisher of SaharaReporters, Omoyele Sowore, over his absence in court in his ongoing trial for alleged cyberstalking of President Bola Tinubu.

The trial judge, Mohammed Umar, warned that he would issue a bench warrant for the activist’s arrest if he fails to appear at the next adjourned date.

Sowore is being prosecuted by the Department of State Services over alleged defamatory statements he made against Tinubu on his social media platforms.

The DSS accused Sowore of referring to Tinubu as “a criminal” in posts published on his X and Facebook accounts, which the prosecution alleged were false and capable of causing public disorder.

At Thursday’s proceedings, Sowore and members of his legal team were absent when the case was called.

Counsel for the DSS, Akinlolu Kehinde (SAN), informed the court that the matter was scheduled for the defence to conclude the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness.

Kehinde told the court that the defendant was duly served with a hearing notice through his lawyers.

He added that there was no explanation for Sowore’s absence and none of his lawyers, whom he said were about 30 in number, appeared in court to represent him.

Citing Section 352(1) and (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, the senior lawyer urged the court to revoke the bail granted to the defendant and issue a bench warrant for his arrest to ensure his production in court.

In his ruling, Umar confirmed that the defendant had been served with the hearing notice through his legal representatives.

See also  AFRIFF 2025 returns with Herbert Wigwe Awards for Excellence

However, the judge noted that Sowore had consistently attended previous proceedings since the commencement of the trial late last year.

He also observed that some of the earlier adjournments in the matter were at the instance of both the prosecution and the defence.

Umar held that the defendant should be given the benefit of the doubt since it was the first time he was absent from court.

The judge, however, warned that he would not hesitate to grant the prosecution’s request to revoke Sowore’s bail and issue a bench warrant for his arrest if he fails to appear at the next hearing.

The matter was subsequently adjourned until March 16 for continuation of trial, while the court directed that another hearing notice be served on the defence.

Sowore had earlier been admitted to bail after pleading not guilty to the charge.

The court granted him bail in the sum of N10m with one surety in like sum.
The judge held that the surety must be a responsible Nigerian citizen with landed property within the Federal Capital Territory and must depose to an affidavit of means.

Umar also ordered the defendant to deposit his international passport with the court registrar, while the surety is required to submit valid identification and original title documents of the property for verification by the court.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Alteration claims: National Assembly to re-gazzette tax laws, says Reps spokesperson

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Alteration claims: National Assembly to re-gazzette tax laws, says Reps spokesperson
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Coup: Benin Republic arrests Ex-president’s son

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending