Connect with us

News

Why we will resist our ancestral home renaming — Lagos community

Published

on

The Ilaje community in the Bariga area of Lagos State has vowed to resist the renaming of Ilaje Street after the music legend, King Sunny Ade, accusing the local council authority of attempting to erase its historical identity.

Last Friday, the immediate past Chairman of the Bariga Local Council Development Area, David Kolade Alabi, announced the renaming of several streets, including Ilaje Street, as part of efforts to honour notable figures.

However, the move has sparked intense backlash both on the streets and online, where critics allege it reflects ethnic bias and a disregard for local history.

Protesters from the Ilaje community took to the streets on Wednesday, demanding a reversal of the name change, arguing that the council’s decision undermined the cultural and historical heritage of their people.

In an exclusive interview on Thursday, the President General of Egbe Omo Ilaje Worldwide, Raphael Irowainu, condemned the renaming as a “calculated attempt to decimate” the Ilaje people in Lagos State.

“It was a calculated attempt by the political elites and some Yoruba ethnic groups to erase the historical and cultural involvement of the Ilaje people in the creation of Lagos State.

“The Bariga community was founded in 1948 by our great-grandfathers. The entire place was like a forest.”

They were the ones who made the road before the state government took over later,” Irowainu said.

He further alleged a pattern of targeted and deliberate marginalisation of his people in the state.

He said, “On March 7, the Lagos State Government, in connivance with some persons, went to another Ilaje community and demolished the area.

See also  Greece set to approve controversial 13-hour workday reform

“A monarch in Oworo sent people to demolish parts of Ilaje in Oworonshoki. Go to Majidun, and you will hear a similar story. These are calculated events to erase and decimate the Ilaje people.”

Highlighting the group’s historical significance, Irowainu added, “The Ilaje are among the three early settlers of Lagos State —alongside the Awori and Ijebu.

“We are not strangers. We are Yorubas just like any other Yoruba. Ilaje is a recognised sub-ethnic group in Yorubaland.”

He also questioned the rationale behind honouring King Sunny Ade in an Ilaje territory when other areas could be named after the revered music icon.

He said, “They now want to rename Ilaje Street to King Sunny Ade Street, when we have Ondo Street in Ebute Meta. Why not rename that one if they truly want to honour him? This is a war against the Ilaje people.”

Disclosing that the community had already filed a petition against the decision, Irowainu threatened legal action, arguing that the LCDA lacks constitutional authority to rename streets.

“If it requires going through legal means, we will do it. Even the so-called LCDA is illegal.

“The constitution only recognises 20 local governments—not LCDAs. It’s only the local governments that have the power to rename streets, and even at that, there must be consultation with the affected communities,” he maintained.

The former council chairman, who initiated the renaming, had defended the decision, saying it was meant to celebrate individuals who had brought global recognition to Bariga.

“As an administration, we took our time to reflect on a number of our people who have put the name of our local council out on the global map through their respective God-given talents and crafts,” David had stated.

See also  Iran Army Chief vows response to threats from Trump and Netanyahu

Efforts to reach the new LCDA Chairperson, Bukola Adedeji, for comments on whether the council would review the street renaming were unsuccessful.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria killings: US officials prepare high-level briefing for Trump

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  MDAs under fire as FG probes TSA violations

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEO: Ekpoma Youths In Edo Attack Fulani Settlements Over Kidnappings
Continue Reading

Trending