Connect with us

Sports

Nigeria’s D’Tigress Win Fifth Consecutive AfroBasket Title, Extend 10-Year Unbeaten Run

Published

on

Nigeria’s national women’s basketball team, D’Tigress, have claimed their fifth consecutive FIBA Women’s AfroBasket title after defeating Mali 78-64 in the final match of the 2025 tournament held in Kigali, Rwanda.

It was reports that the D’Tigress defeated Senegal 75-68 in the semifinals to book their place in the final.

Nigeria’s win over Mali in the final earlier today, August 3, marks D’Tigress’ seventh AfroBasket title overall and extends their remarkable unbeaten run in the competition to 29 games, a streak that began in 2015.

They are now the first African team, male or female, to win the continental title five times in a row.

The tightly contested game saw D’Tigress hold a narrow 61-56 lead at the end of the third quarter, but the defending champions dominated the final quarter, outscoring Mali 17-8 to seal the win.

Head coach Rena Wakama, who was appointed in 2023, continues to make history with the team. She became the first woman to lead a team to an AfroBasket title in 2023 and has now secured back-to-back championships.

Note that Wakama, 33, also previously led Nigeria to their first-ever Olympic quarterfinals.


D’Tigress coach Rena Wakama

The 2025 championship adds to Nigeria’s earlier AfroBasket wins in 2017, 2019, 2021, and 2023.

D’Tigress have not lost a single game at the Women’s AfroBasket tournament in ten years, maintaining a perfect record across five consecutive editions.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Garnacho arrives at Chelsea as £40m move from Man Utd moves closer

Published

on

Alejandro Garnacho has arrived at Chelsea’s training ground in advance of his reported £40 million ($54 million) move from Manchester United, Blues boss Enzo Maresca said Friday.

A deal was said to have been agreed between the two Premier League clubs on Thursday, with the 21-year-old no longer required by Ruben Amorim at Old Trafford.

Garnacho was at Chelsea’s training ground in Cobham, southwest of London, on Friday to undergo a medical and finalise terms.

“I know he is around here,” Chelsea manager Maresca told reporters. “I don’t know exactly where.”

Maresca, asked how the United academy graduate would fit into his team, replied: “He’s a winger. I see him as a winger.”

The Italian would not rule out the possibility of more arrivals and departures before Monday’s summer transfer window deadline.

“You can expect anything, the transfer window is open, anything can happen in and out,” he said.

Maresca also confirmed Cole Palmer will miss the game against West London rivals Fulham on Saturday with the groin injury which forced him to pull out of the game against West Ham.

Benoit Badiashile and Romeo Lavia also remain sidelined with their respective injury issues.

“Cole we need to see day by day,” said Maresca, adding: “Romeo and Benoit – I don’t think they will be back after the international break but they will be closer.”

“Two years ago, he (Lavia) didn’t play any games. Last year, he played some games. The target is to give him more games this season. I don’t know (when he will be back).

“When Cole is not in the game, we need to find different solutions. Hopefully, tomorrow we can do the same.”

Chelsea head into the weekend fourth in the table following a goalless draw with Crystal Palace and 5-1 rout of West Ham.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Tuchel apologises to Bellingham over ‘repulsive’ blast

Published

on

England boss Thomas Tuchel has apologised to Jude Bellingham after describing the Real Madrid star’s on-pitch behaviour as “repulsive”.

Bellingham’s competitive personality has led to questions over his temperament after several high-profile rows.

Tuchel said in an interview the day after England’s 3-1 friendly loss to Senegal in June that he loved the 22-year-old’s “fire” but revealed his mother found some of the midfielder’s antics repulsive.

The German has now said sorry to Bellingham, who is absent from the England squad for September’s World Cup qualifiers against Andorra and Serbia after shoulder surgery.

“I used this word unintentionally, just to make it very clear.

“I had no intention, there was no message, there was no hidden agenda.

“I fully understand it’s my responsibility that I created these headlines. I’m sorry for the upset and for the headlines that I created,” Tuchel said on Friday.

As a former Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain boss, Tuchel admitted he should have had the experience to handle the situation better.

“I’m experienced enough, I should have known better and should have done better,” he said.

“I thought I have a little bit more credit with you guys, that I do all this in my second language.

“I did it on the morning after a loss and not a lot of sleep. I did it in a live interview and I used the wrong word.”

Conceding his use of the word repulsive was inappropriate, Tuchel added: “It’s my responsibility. I used the wrong word.

“I didn’t want to use this word. I used it. I created the opposite. It’s my responsibility.

“I made straight away contact with him, of course and I got in touch with him straight away. Jude’s focus is now in his rehabilitation.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Sports

Atalanta hit Lookman with sanctions after failed transfer

Published

on

Ademola Lookman will face heavy sanctions from Atalanta after embarking on a two-week training strike in a bid to force through his desired move to Inter, a transfer that ultimately collapsed, with talks between player and club now scheduled following his return to Zingonia.

The Nigerian forward resurfaced at Atalanta’s training headquarters, where he met with CEO Antonio Percassi to discuss his future after Inter formally withdrew their interest according to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

“The Nigerian forward has resurfaced at Atalanta’s headquarters in Zingonia,” the outlet reported, confirming that the highly anticipated move to Inter has now collapsed beyond repair.

The saga had dragged on for weeks, with Inter and Atalanta locked in tense negotiations.

Inter had already agreed personal terms with Lookman, offering him a five-year deal, but CEO Percassi stood firm, insisting that while he had promised to allow the player to leave in 2025, he would not sanction a sale to another Italian club.

This position infuriated Lookman, who accused the club of breaking their word. In protest, he staged a two-week strike, refusing to attend training or present a medical certificate, while also deleting all Atalanta-related photos from his social media accounts.

Atalanta, however, refused to bow to pressure and rejected Inter’s latest €45m bid. That prompted the Nerazzurri to walk away from the deal, with sporting director Piero Ausilio and president Beppe Marotta opting to shift focus to other areas of the squad.

“Negotiations with Atalanta are completely frozen,” transfer expert Fabrizio Romano reported, confirming that Inter had told Lookman’s representatives the deal was “OFF.”

Lookman’s tactics left Atalanta deeply unimpressed. La Gazzetta dello Sport noted, “Lookman complicated matters further by going missing in recent weeks without informing the club or presenting a medical certificate.”

“Atalanta kept a low profile during his absence, despite Lookman removing Atalanta photos from his social media and openly requesting a transfer,” the paper added. But the Bergamo side are now reportedly preparing to take disciplinary action.

“They will not let it slide. Sanctions are coming,” La Gazzetta stated.

“The club will fine him for failing to notify his absence and dock his wages for the days he missed at Zingonia, applying the punishment at a time of their choosing.”

Calciomercato further reported that Lookman will be required to issue a public apology as part of the disciplinary process.

Despite the tension, Atalanta may choose not to push their star too far. Head coach Ivan Juric has privately expressed concerns about losing too much firepower after the shock sale of Mateo Retegui, Serie A’s top scorer last season.

Juric reportedly warned that the team would “lose 90 per cent of their goals” if Lookman were also allowed to leave.

This has left both Atalanta and Lookman in a delicate position, balancing discipline with pragmatism as the club cannot afford to diminish his market value or while he cannot also leave himself unprepared ahead of the Africa Cup of Nations in December. As such, a reintegration plan remains on the table, with the possibility of restoring him to the starting XI once disciplinary matters are settled.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending