Connect with us

News

Why Nigerian Airports Do Not Have Wi-Fi – Tinubu’s Minister, Keyamo Explains

Published

on

The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has revealed the reason behind the persistent absence of Wi-Fi services at Nigerian international airports, attributing the delay to a prolonged dispute between two agencies of the ministry.

Speaking on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics, Keyamo disclosed that the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) and the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) had been locked in a dispute over who should be responsible for providing Wi-Fi facilities.

According to the minister, NAMA argued that its statutory role of managing navigation equipment, radio, and communication systems also covered the provision of Wi-Fi at airports.

NAMA vs FAAN Argument Over Who Should Handle Wi-Fi

“There is an agency called NAMA, Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, and they said, ‘Well, if you look at the law of NAMA, it says NAMA is in charge of all navigation equipment, radio, communication, and all.’ So NAMA felt it’s our responsibility to take care of Wi-Fi,” Keyamo explained.

On the other hand, FAAN maintained that Wi-Fi falls under airport infrastructure, which legally falls within its purview.

“Another of my agencies, FAAN, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria, was arguing that it is part of the infrastructure at the airport. And FAAN, by law, is imbued with the power to take care of all infrastructure at the airport. So they said Wi-Fi is part of infrastructure,” the minister added.

Resolution Came Too Late for 2024 Budget

According to Keyamo, the argument dragged on until late 2023, when he intervened and directed that FAAN should back out, leaving NAMA fully responsible for Wi-Fi deployment.

See also  ‘Horrific Violence’ – Trump Govt Condemns Killing Of Christians In Nigeria

However, because the resolution came after the passage of the 2024 Budget, funds could not be allocated for the project during the current fiscal year.

“By the time we resolved it, the budget for 2024 had already passed. So, it couldn’t be implemented then,” Keyamo noted.

Wi-Fi Project Included in 2025 Budget

The minister assured that the Wi-Fi project has now been captured in the 2025 budget, with plans to begin implementation by the end of the year.

“We have made provisions for it in the 2025 budget, and by the end of 2025, there will be a functional Wi-Fi at Terminal 2 of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport,” Keyamo stated.

Keyamo further disclosed that the government is exploring a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement to ensure the sustainability and effectiveness of the Wi-Fi service across Nigerian airports.

“We are working on a PPP model that will guarantee not just the deployment of Wi-Fi but its proper maintenance and expansion to other terminals,” he assured.

The announcement comes amid growing criticism from travellers who have expressed frustration over the lack of internet connectivity at major international airports across Nigeria.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria seeks $2bn China loan for new ‘super grid’ — Adelabu

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Ex-political appointees beg Kogi gov to pay salary arrears

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  ‘Horrific Violence’ – Trump Govt Condemns Killing Of Christians In Nigeria
Continue Reading

Trending