Connect with us

News

Ogun LGs to enroll 8,000 Okada riders in health insurance scheme

Published

on

The Chairman of Abeokuta North Local Government, Lanre Oyegbola-Sodipo and his counterpart from the Abeokuta South Local Government, Afeez Balogun, have both declared plans to register not fewer than 8000 commercial motorcyclists operating in the two council areas for the Ogun State Health Insurance Scheme.

Oyegbola-Sodipo disclosed this on Tuesday at a joint press briefing with the Abeokuta South LG Chairman held at the press centre of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Ogun State Council secretariat, Abeokuta

The LG boss explained that the initiative is in line with the commitment of Gov Dapo Abiodun to ensure that the people at the grassroots, especially the poorest of the poor in the informal sector of the economy, have unfettered access to qualitative healthcare services.

The council chairman disclosed that people who subscribe to this health care insurance scheme will get treatment for ailments ranging from Malaria, Typhoid, diabetes, and hypertension to even basic surgeries like hernia, appendicitis, among others.

He said that though other artisans and traders in the informal sector would also be captured for the exercise but the two local governments which fall within the Abeokuta metropolis are targeting the commercial motorcycle operators, given the risk they are exposed to daily, which could sometimes lead to accidents.

Oyegbola-Sodipo explained that “The Federal Road Safety Corps said that 45% of the accidents in the state are motorcycle-related, and when this happens, more often than not, the riders and the passengers are left on their own. Some may not have what it takes to get the required medical treatment.

See also  Chimamanda Adichie lawyers write Lagos hospital, doctor suspended

“But with this health insurance scheme, the riders and the passengers are covered. They can easily get treated because the motorcycle riders have subscribed to the scheme.

“Each subscriber to this scheme will pay N300 daily for six days every week. The beauty of this is that even without being involved in any accident, you can always go to the nearest health facilities around you to access medical care if you have Malaria, Typhoid, Hypertension and even basic surgeries like hernia and appendicitis.”

He explained that, Contrary to misinformation making the rounds, this scheme does not, in any way, affect the daily ticketing system operated by the recognised Okada riders’ unions — ROMO, ACOMORAN, and AMORAN.

Oyegbola-Sodipo also said that participation in this insurance scheme is strictly voluntary, while no rider is under any obligation to subscribe, and no penalties exist for those who choose not to participate.

He noted that key stakeholders within the unions have also been fully carried along since November last year, while several meetings and engagements were held to explain the purpose, benefits, and operational details of the insurance scheme, ensuring full transparency and stakeholder buy-in before implementation.

Oyegbola-Sodipo also said that the exercise, which kicked off last week Thursday at the Abeokuta North Local Government, had already captured 900 motorcycle riders and that the plan is to bring on board about 8000 okada riders working in the two local governments.

Also speaking at the briefing, the Chairman of Abeokuta South, Afeez Balogun, said that 2000 elderly people have been registered for this health insurance scheme in both local governments, and they have continued to enjoy free health care services and which they have always appreciated.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEOS: National strike by Belgium's big unions hits public transport, airports and ships

He disclosed that his local government will also be starting the onboarding of the commercial motorcycle riders into the health insurance scheme on Wednesday.

Balogun said that the essence of this health insurance scheme is to provide a safety net for the people and ensure that their well-being does not suffer unnecessarily due to a lack of funds.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  We’ll support Nigeria in fight against terrorism – France

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  3,345 BVAS deployed, movement restricted ahead of FCT poll
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  PHOTOS & VIDEOS: National strike by Belgium's big unions hits public transport, airports and ships

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Alleged N5bn fraud: Ex-minister Stella Oduah arraigned, barred from foreign trips

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending