Connect with us

Business

Fuel distribution controversy: Dangote restores marketers amid mounting pressure

Published

on

Just one day before the commencement of Dangote Petroleum Refinery’s direct fuel distribution scheme, marketers and tanker drivers said they had met with the company amid fears that they might be sent out of business.

The refinery would start its direct fuel distribution on Friday, August 15, having received some of the 4,000 Compressed Natural Gas-powered trucks needed for the plan.

Dangote’s announcement of the direct fuel distribution programme had sent shivers down the spines of tanker drivers and members of the Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria over fear that they might lose their livelihoods.

In reaction, the Natural Oil and Gas Suppliers Association of Nigeria warned that the refinery’s plan to bypass existing distribution channels and supply refined petroleum products directly to end-users would lead to a nationwide disruption, long-term product scarcity, and the collapse of existing supply networks.

The oil and gas suppliers called on the refinery to halt its plan and seek further dialogue before commencing the distribution of products to end users, urging it to learn from what happened to non-functional refineries under the management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

They also called on President Bola Tinubu to intervene in the issue, stressing that Dangote alone cannot handle nationwide distribution of products sustainably. The NOGASA National President, Bennett Korie, made the call during the association’s Annual General Meeting held in Abuja recently.

However, tanker drivers and the petroleum product suppliers on Wednesday said that they recently met with the Dangote Group in a bid to collaborate.

See also  Despite Increased Earnings, Most States Silent On End-Of-Year Bonus For Workers

The National Publicity Secretary of NOGASA, Chinedu Ukadike, and the National President of the National Association of Road Transport Owners, Yusuf Othman, confirmed this to our correspondent in an interview.

According to the NOGASA spokesman, both Dangote and the association have agreed to work together through the existing distribution channels. He said the fear of job losses had been allayed, as the refinery assured them that fuel would be sold to bulk buyers for onward distribution to end users.

Ukadike told our correspondent that Dangote would not sell petroleum products directly to end users; he would sell to NOGASA members as bulk buyers. “I want to say that Dangote heeded our plea by agreeing with us that they will be sending these products to the bulk buyers, who are the suppliers. Based on that, we don’t have issues again.

“What we were saying ab initio was the issue of the supply chain in which we have invested so much. We requested that the supply chain be given to us in distribution, which I think Dangote has also complied with, since he is not going to supply directly to end users. We want to appreciate him for that,” he said.

Ukadike stated that NOGASA members panicked because they thought Dangote would sell directly to end users. “We are the bulk buyers; we buy in bulk, and we supply. Before, we were thinking that he was going to supply by retailing to the end users, the telecom masts, hotels, and the rest of them, but now he said no, that he is going to supply to the bulk buyers.

See also  Petrol Landing Cost Drops To ₦840/Litre, But Pump Prices Remain High

“This is giving us that power as suppliers to continue our jobs. We were afraid that if he sold fuel directly to end users, our labour capacity would be lost and our return on investment would be in jeopardy,” he said.

Our correspondent asked Ukadike if NOGASA members met with Aliko Dangote or his team for the clarifications; he replied, “There was no time when Dangote said he wanted to sell directly to end users. There’s no way Dangote can sell to end users. We have met his team, and we spoke with his communication officer, who assured us of the value chain of distribution.”

He added that NOGASA members have started registering on the Dangote portal to be bulk buyers of the refinery’s products. He added that the trucks would supply fuel to bulk buyers.

“Some of our members who are buying in bulk are now their companies in line with the guidelines they gave to us for registration, so that they can take these products and sell to end users. We were told that the 4,000 CNG-powered trucks will be delivering to bulk buyers. Once you pay, they deliver to you, not to end users,” he explained.

In his words, the NARTO President, Othman, said consultations are still ongoing with stakeholders on the effect Dangote’s fuel distribution scheme would have on tanker drivers.

Othman stated that the association once met with Dangote himself, and there were plans to meet him again. “We are still consulting with our stakeholders. We met Dangote first, and we are going to meet him again,” he said.

See also  220 oil blocks abandoned amid debt, crude crises

The NARTO boss declined to comment on the outcome of the meeting with Dangote.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Vice President, Oil and Gas, Dangote Industries Limited, Mr Devakumar Edwin, said the planned deployment of 4,000 CNG-powered trucks to support the distribution of refined petroleum products across Nigeria is aimed at ensuring that the benefits of domestic refining and the resulting reduction in fuel prices are fully passed on to Nigerian consumers.

Edwin stated that the introduction of the CNG-powered fleet is a strategic step to reduce logistics costs in fuel distribution—a major factor in the final pump price.

“The deployment of these 4,000 CNG-powered trucks will help us pass down the benefits of domestic refining and the reduction in product prices to consumers. The aim is to support logistics and make distribution more efficient, not to displace any existing players in the sector,” he said.

He further explained that the use of CNG-powered trucks, in addition to being more environmentally friendly, will significantly reduce transportation expenses, ultimately making refined products more affordable for Nigerians.

When contacted on Wednesday to confirm the position of the marketers and tanker drivers, the spokesman of the Dangote Group, Anthony Chiejina, simply told our correspondent that the dealers should hold a press conference.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Lagos enforces 5% tax on gaming winnings

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has begun enforcing a five per cent withholding tax on gaming winnings from licensed gaming platforms operating within the state.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Lagos State Lotteries and Gaming Authority, Are Bashir, made this known in a public notice issued on Friday.

He stated that the policy, which takes immediate effect, applies to players’ net winnings and is to be deducted at the point of payout.

Bashir directed all licensed gaming operators in the state to comply immediately with the new tax framework in line with existing Nigerian tax laws and regulatory directives governing the gaming industry.

According to the notice, the five per cent deduction will be automatically withheld before winnings are paid to players and remitted to the Lagos State Internal Revenue Service as the statutory tax authority.

Bashir said the initiative is part of the state’s wider efforts to improve tax compliance, transparency and accountability in the fast-growing gaming sector.

“The measure forms part of Lagos’ broader drive to strengthen tax compliance, transparency, and accountability in the rapidly expanding gaming sector,” the notice read.

He said under the new arrangement, players are required to provide their National Identification Number (NIN) in line with Know Your Customer (KYC) regulations.

Bashir clarified that all deductions and remittances will be handled strictly by licensed gaming operators in accordance with regulatory requirements, adding that players will receive their winnings net of the statutory deduction, with proper records maintained to ensure transparency.

See also  220 oil blocks abandoned amid debt, crude crises

He further noted that the withholding tax deducted will serve as a tax credit to the player.

“All licensed gaming operators in Lagos State have now been formally directed to commence the deductions with immediate effect,” the notice said.

Bashir reiterated that the policy is aimed at ensuring effective regulation of the gaming industry while aligning both operators and players with existing tax obligations in the state.

Continue Reading

Business

Customs hand over seized N40.7m petrol to NMDPRA

Published

on

The Comptroller-General of Customs, Adewale Adeniyi, on Friday handed over 1,650 jerrycans of Premium Motor Spirit, worth N40.7 million, to the Nigerian Midstream and Downstream Petroleum Regulatory Authority for further investigation.

Addressing journalists at the handover ceremony held at the Customs Training College in Ikeja, Adeniyi said the seized fuel was intercepted at various locations, including Badagry, Owode, Seme, and other axes within Lagos State.

Represented by the National Coordinator of Operation Whirlwind, Deputy Comptroller-General Abubakar Aliyu, Adeniyi said the contraband was intercepted over the past nine weeks.

“In the space of nine weeks, our operatives intensified surveillance and enforcement across critical border communities. A total of 1,650 jerrycans of 25 litres each were seized along notorious smuggling routes, including Adodo, Seme, Owode Apa, Ajilete, Idjaun, Ilaro, Badagry, Idiroko, and Imeko. The total duty-paid value of the PMS is N40.7 million,” Adeniyi said.

He added that three tankers used to transport the fuel were carrying 60,000, 45,000, and 49,000 litres respectively, totalling 154,000 litres of PMS.

According to Adeniyi, the interception was the result of intelligence-driven operations and the vigilance of Operation Whirlwind in safeguarding Nigeria’s economy and energy security.

He explained that the transportation and movement of petroleum products are governed by regulatory frameworks and standard operating procedures designed to prevent diversion, smuggling, hoarding, and economic sabotage.

“These items contravened the established Standard Operating Procedures of Operation Whirlwind,” Adeniyi said, emphasising that such violations undermine government policy, distort market stability, and deprive the nation of critical revenue.

See also  220 oil blocks abandoned amid debt, crude crises

He warned that border corridors such as Owode, Seme, and Badagry remain sensitive economic arteries. “These routes have historically been exploited for illegal cross-border petroleum movement. Under our watch, there will be no safe haven for economic sabotage,” he said.

Adeniyi said the handover to NMDPRA reflects inter-agency collaboration. “While Customs enforces border control and anti-smuggling mandates, NMDPRA regulates distribution and ensures compliance with downstream laws. This collaboration ensures due process, transparency, and regulatory integrity,” he said.

Representing NMDPRA, Mrs. Grace Dauda said the agency ensures that petroleum products produced in Nigeria are consumed domestically. “It is unfortunate that some businessmen attempt to smuggle the product out of the country. The public must work together to stop economic sabotage,” she said.

Operation Whirlwind is a special tactical enforcement operation launched by the Nigeria Customs Service in 2024 to combat cross-border smuggling of petroleum products, particularly PMS, and other contraband that threaten Nigeria’s economic security. It was established in response to a surge in illegal fuel diversion across the country.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Stocks drop, oil rises after Trump Iran threat

Published

on

Most Asia equities fell and oil prices rose on Friday after Donald Trump ratcheted up Middle East tensions by hinting at possible military strikes on Iran if it did not make a “meaningful deal” in nuclear talks.

The remarks fanned geopolitical concerns and cast a pall over a tentative rebound in markets following an AI-fuelled sell-off this month.

Traders are also looking ahead to the release of US data later in the day that will provide a fresh snapshot of the world’s top economy.

A slew of forecast-beating figures over the past few days have lifted optimism about the outlook but tempered expectations for more interest rate cuts.

The US president told the inaugural meeting of the “Board of Peace”, his initiative to secure stability in Gaza, that Tehran should make a deal.

“It’s proven to be over the years not easy to make a meaningful deal with Iran. We have to make a meaningful deal otherwise bad things happen,” he said, as he deployed warships, fighter jets and other military hardware to the region.

He warned that Washington “may have to take it a step further” without any agreement, adding: “You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu earlier warned: “If the ayatollahs make a mistake and attack us, they will receive a response they cannot even imagine.”

The threats come days after the United States and Iran held a second round of Omani-mediated talks in Geneva as Washington looks to prevent the country from getting a nuclear bomb, which Tehran says it is not pursuing.

See also  Despite Increased Earnings, Most States Silent On End-Of-Year Bonus For Workers

The prospect of a conflict in the crude-rich Middle East has sent oil prices surging this week, and they extended the gains Friday to sit at their highest levels since June.

Equity traders were also spooked.

Hong Kong fell as it reopened from a three-day break, while Tokyo, Sydney, Wellington and Bangkok were also down. However, Seoul continued to rally to a fresh record thanks to more tech buying, with Singapore, Manila and Mumbai also up.

City Index market analyst Matt Simpson said a strike was not certain.

“At its core, this looks like pressure and leverage rather than a prelude to invasion,” he wrote.

“The US is pairing military readiness with stalled nuclear negotiations, signalling it has credible strike options if talks fail. That doesn’t automatically translate into boots on the ground or a regime-change campaign.

“While military assets dominate headlines, diplomacy is still in motion. The fact talks are continuing at all suggests both sides are still probing for a diplomatic off-ramp before tensions harden further.”

Shares in Jakarta slipped even after Trump and Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto reached a trade deal after months of wrangling.

The accord sets a 19 percent tariff on Indonesian goods entering the United States. The Southeast Asian country had been threatened with a potential 32 percent levy before the pact.

Jakarta also agreed to $33 billion in purchases of US energy commodities, agricultural products and aviation-related goods, including Boeing aircraft.

– Key figures at around 0700 GMT –

Tokyo – Nikkei 225: DOWN 1.1 percent at 56,825.70 (close)

Hong Kong – Hang Seng Index: DOWN 0.7 percent at 26,508.98

See also  FG sets Dec 20 deadline to pay contractors

Shanghai – Composite: Closed for holiday

West Texas Intermediate: UP 0.9 percent at $67.05 per barrel

Brent North Sea Crude: UP 0.9 percent at $72.27 per barrel

Euro/dollar: DOWN at $1.1756 from $1.1767 on Thursday

Pound/dollar: DOWN at $1.3448 from $1.3458

Euro/pound: DOWN at 87.42 pence from 87.43 pence

Dollar/yen: UP at 155.17 yen from 155.07 yen

New York – Dow: DOWN 0.5 percent at 49,395.16 (close)

London – FTSE 100: DOWN 0.6 percent at 10,627.04 (close)

AFP

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending