Connect with us

News

Shiites Hold Abuja Rally To Mourn Iran’s Supreme Leader

Published

on

Members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (Shiites) on Friday held a rally in Abuja to mourn the death of Iran’s Supreme Leader, Ali Khamenei.

The gathering marked the first time the group has staged a demonstration in the Federal Capital Territory since the cleric was reportedly killed on February 26 during the ongoing conflict involving the United States and Israel.

The rally coincided with the annual Quds Day observance and drew thousands of Shiite Muslims to the National Mosque in Abuja.

Participants were seen carrying banners, waving flags and chanting slogans condemning Israeli actions against Palestinians.

Prior to the rally, concerns over possible protests in the FCT had prompted heightened security measures across parts of Abuja.

The United States Embassy in Nigeria had also temporarily shut its operations amid fears of demonstrations.

Speaking with Punch, the Chairman of the Media Forum of the Islamic Movement, Ammar Rajab, said the group had been observing Quds Day in Nigeria for more than four decades.

According to him, the annual event typically features lectures, discussions, processions and public awareness campaigns.

Rajab said the 2026 observance was particularly significant due to the worsening humanitarian situation in Palestinian territories.

He said, “This year’s observance is particularly urgent as reports indicate that over 200,000 Palestinians have been killed or injured since October 2023, with hundreds of thousands displaced. Journalists have been barred from reporting the crisis, leaving the reality largely hidden.

“We also mourned the assassination of Ayatullah Ali Khamenei, highlighting his uncompromising stand against oppression and injustice, and reaffirmed the movement’s call for the freedom and liberation of Palestine.”

See also  Anglican church to consecrate 15 bishops, unveil 14 dioceses

Rajab, however, dismissed reports that security operatives attacked members of the group during the rally.

“It is not true. We started peacefully and left without any intervention from the police,” he said.

Meanwhile, some residents reported traffic congestion along the Nyanya–Mararaba axis as security personnel mounted checkpoints and conducted vehicle searches following the announcement of the rally.

The movement also held a demonstration in Bauchi State in support of Palestine and Iran.

Speaking with Saturday Punch, the leader of the movement in the state, Ahmad Yashi, said the protest formed part of activities marking Quds Day, which is observed on the last Friday of Ramadan globally.

“This is a known demonstration held on the last Friday of every Ramadan worldwide under the Quds Day platform. It is to show support and sympathy for Palestinians who have been under invasion for about eight decades,” he said.

Yashi maintained that the demonstrations organised by the group had always been peaceful.

He alleged that previous breakdowns of law and order occurred due to what he described as misunderstandings by authorities regarding the group’s activities.

The IMN also reiterated its support for Iran amid the ongoing conflict involving the United States and Israel. According to Yashi, the killing of Khamenei would not resolve the crisis but could further escalate tensions.

“We are with Iran in heart and soul. They targeted the Iranian Supreme Leader to make the country surrender, but they are mistaken. The Supreme Leader, as a religious authority, was among those dousing tensions,” he said.

See also  Trump gets royal treatment on UK state visit

He also criticised Western powers, accusing them of contributing to global instability.

“Islam is a peaceful religion, but the West is the problem. They are selfish and want everyone to bow to them. This will not happen; those days are gone,” Yashi added.

He disclosed that members of the movement in Bauchi had earlier staged a peaceful demonstration in solidarity with Iran.

“We conducted a peaceful demonstration in support of Iran, and every Muslim must take a side in this war. You are either with the righteous or with the oppressors,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Malami, son face new terrorism-linked firearms charges

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Malami, son face new terrorism-linked firearms charges
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS: US deploys troops to Nigeria to boost fight against Terrorism after airstrikes

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending