Connect with us

Crime

PHOTOS: FG announces arrest of Kuje prison break masterminds and top Al-Qaeda affiliate leaders

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced the arrest of two top leaders of Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina fi-Biladis Sudan, an Al-Qaeda affiliate in Nigeria.

The National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, who disclosed this at a press briefing held at the Office of the National Security Adviser in Abuja on Saturday, August 16, 2025, said the arrest was made following a months-long counter-terrorism operation.

Ribadu said the intelligence-led operation was carried out between May and July 2025 in collaboration with security and intelligence agencies.

Those arrested are Mahmud Muhammad Usman, also known as Abu Bara’a, Abbas or Mukhtar, identified as the self-styled Emir of Ansaru, and his deputy, Mahmud al-Nigeri, also known as Mallam Mamuda.

According to Ribadu, Abu Bara coordinated terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria and masterminded high-profile kidnappings and armed robberies to finance terrorism.

He added that his deputy, Mamuda, led the “Mahmudawa” cell around Kainji National Park and trained in Libya between 2013 and 2015 under foreign jihadist instructors.

“The targeted operation, which was conducted between May and July 2025, led to the capture of two top ANSARU leaders who have been responsible for masterminding several terrorist attacks against Nigeria over the past years. The first is Mahmud Muhammad Usman (aka Abu Bara’a/Abbas/Mukhtar), the self-styled Emir of ANSARU,” he said.

“He is the coordinator of various terrorist sleeper cells across Nigeria. He is also the mastermind of several high-profile kidnappings and armed robberies used to finance terrorism over the years.

“The second is Mahmud al-Nigeri (aka Mallam Mamuda), Abu Bara’s proclaimed Chief of Staff and Deputy. He is the leader of the so-called “Mahmudawa” cell hiding out in and around the Kainji National Park, straddling Niger and Kwara States up to the Benin Republic. Mamuda trained in Libya between 2013 and 2015 under foreign jihadist instructors from Egypt, Tunisia, and Algeria, specialising in weapons handling and IED fabrication.”

See also  PHOTOS: Police arrest notorious car snatching syndicate, recover 6 stolen cars and N15m cash in Abuja

FG announces arrest of Kuje prison break masterminds and top Al-Qaeda affiliate leaders

The NSA said the two men had been on Nigeria’s most-wanted list for years and were also internationally wanted.

Ribadu said the suspects were responsible for attacks including the 2022 Kuje prison break, the attack on Niger’s uranium facility, the 2013 abduction of French engineer Francis Collomp, and the 2019 kidnapping of Alhaji Musa Umar Uba, Magajin Garin Daura.

“They were also behind the abduction of the Emir of Wawa and they maintain active links with terrorist groups across the Maghreb, particularly in Mali, Niger and Burkina Faso. d The two men, who are wanted internationally, are currently in custody, ” Ribadu added.

The NSA stated that their capture dismantled Ansaru’s central command structure and marked a significant achievement in Nigeria’s fight against terrorism.

He added that security forces recovered materials and digital evidence during the operation, which are undergoing forensic analysis.

“This strike has effectively dismantled its central command while paving the path for the complete annihilation of the group. 8. Let me use this opportunity to inform the public that, in the course of the operation, our security forces captured and recovered valuable actionable intelligence,” the NSA said.

“These include a cache of materials and digital evidence which are all now undergoing forensic analysis. The findings from the analysis are expected to support our ongoing efforts to exploit this success, bring them to justice, and completely bring them to justice, and completely annihilate the remnants of ANSARU networks and disrupt their foreign collaborators.”

See also  PHOTOS: NDLEA secures 10-year jail terms for drug kingpins Ajetsibo Emami, Akpomuai

Ribadu also called on citizens to remain vigilant and provide timely information to authorities.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get – BBNaija star, Tacha

Published

on

BBNaija star, Tacha, has called for the maximum punishment for Mirabel, the lady who in a viral video claimed she was r@ped inside her home by an unknown man.

In a shocking revelation, Mirabel on Thursday, February 19, confessed to social critic, VeryDarkMan, that she lied about the r@pe claim. She claimed she was dealing with serious mental health issues which was why she came up with the false claim.

Many Nigerians have called for her to be prosecuted. In a post shared on X, Tacha also called for Mirabel’s prosecution. She opined that Mirable should be punished just the way a r@pist would be punished if found guilty.

‘’Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the r*pe allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling r*pe and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..

We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized”

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get - BBNaija star, Tacha

 

In a follow-up video, Tacha stated that false rape claims only empower r@pe apologists to dismiss the claims of real r@pe victims whenever a fresh case of the crime surfaces.

 ‘’R@pe is a very serious issue. Women should never waponize r@pe for whatever reason. Never use r@pe to get back at an ex or a man. Never try to do so because at the end of the day, you are taking away from the real victims. You are Honestly!

You are empowering these r@pe apologists and r@pists because they feel like the next girl that comes out to talk about it how many people will believe her? because truthfully how many people will believe her?”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: EFCC hands over properties recovered from fake spiritualist to fraud victim in Ibadan
Continue Reading

Crime

Police, military step up patrols in Kebbi LG after 33 killed

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Meanwhile, earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

See also  PHOTOS: Police recover stolen day-old baby, arrest suspect in Ekiti

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts intensify to restore lasting peace in the troubled communities.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS invites suspects as wife opens up on the abduction of Dadiyata

Published

on

The Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna.

His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.

The development comes as Kadijah, the wife of social media commentator and critic, expressed fresh worries over her husband’s disappearance.

She spoke in a video interview with Ambassador-designate Reno Omokri, which was released on his X handle on Thursday.

Omokri, who visited the mother of two at her residence, sought support for Kadijah and her children, pledging to get justice for her.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” Kadijah said when asked what she had to say about her husband’s disappearance over the years, especially given recent comments made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

Appealing to Nigerians, she said, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Omokri further asked Kadijah what she had to say about an old comment made about her husband that suggested “mockery.”

“It was somebody who showed me (the post) because I didn’t have a phone at that time,” she said of the 2019 comment reportedly made by the son of a former Kaduna State Governor.

The post had read, “Those same clowns who encouraged him when he was creating false stories and capitalising on lies that could endanger lives solely for political ends are the same individuals trending hashtags asking, ‘#WhereisDadiyata.’

See also  Graphic photos: Police inspector arrested for brutalising his children in Bayelsa over witchcraft allegations

“Dangerous lies in the public space have consequences. I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” Kadijah stated in the video.

She further narrated how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she watched from the window as it happened.

Assuring Kadijah of Dadiyata’s safe return if he is alive, and justice in the unlikely event of his death, Omokri empathised with the woman and sought assistance for the family.

He appealed to the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, for “whatever he can do for them… to help their living conditions, probably relocate them, help their education, or help the mother with a job. Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them.”

Dadiyata, a lecturer and online commentator, was abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he drove into his home in Barnawa, Kaduna.

The incident has continued to attract public attention and demands for accountability.

Dadiyata’s matter resurfaced on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement in the case and argued that the missing commentator was primarily critical of the Kano administration rather than the Kaduna State government.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government.

“He is a Kwankwasiya guy; he lives in Kaduna and lectures at a university in Katsina State, but is a fierce critic not of Kaduna State. Go and review his timeline,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Police arrest notorious car snatching syndicate, recover 6 stolen cars and N15m cash in Abuja

El-Rufai further stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to the police.

“It was Ganduje that was his problem. I didn’t even know him. We only got the report of Dadiyata’s existence and the fact that he lives in Kaduna State after the family reported to the police that he was abducted as he was returning home in the evening.

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he said.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed being linked to the case in a statement issued by his former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Muhammad Garba.

He described the claims as “reckless, unfounded, and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.”

According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government.

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he said.

A security source told The PUNCH that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping.

See also  Four arraigned over murder of Osun LG chair

The Service was reported to have reopened the case and was set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning over the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending