Connect with us

News

Transparency, implementation crucial for tax reforms’ success — Dogara

Published

on

Former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Mr Yakubu Dogara, has described President Bola Tinubu’s sweeping tax reforms as the most ambitious overhaul of Nigeria’s fiscal framework in decades.

‎He urged the government to prioritise transparency and sustained implementation to secure public trust.

Dogara made the call on Tuesday while delivering the maiden Distinguished Parliamentarian Lecture organised by the House of Representatives Press Corps at the National Assembly Complex, Abuja. His lecture, titled “Navigating Tax Reform in Nigeria: Insights on President Tinubu’s Policies”, examined the origins, scope, and expected impact of the reforms encapsulated in the Nigeria Tax Act 2025 and related legislation.

‎He recalled that President Tinubu inherited a troubled economy riddled with “Economic debris,” including excessive deficit financing through Ways and Means, dual exchange rates that enriched a few at the expense of many, and crude oil forward sales tied to foreign loans.

“By the time President Tinubu took office, N22.7tn had been printed and injected into the economy, destroying the value of the naira. Some anointed people were making hundreds of millions off forex allocations without producing any goods or services whatsoever,” he said.

According to Dogara, these distortions made urgent reforms inevitable. “From day one, it was clear that something urgent, nay revolutionary, must be done to prevent our economy from imploding,” he stressed, praising the President’s courage in driving the reforms despite opposition.

He outlined key provisions of the reform package, which consolidate 16 federal tax statutes into four principal Acts: the Nigeria Tax Act 2025, Nigeria Tax Administration Act 2025, Nigeria Revenue Service (Establishment) Act 2025, and the Joint Revenue Board (Establishment) Act 2025. These laws will take effect in January 2026, simplifying Nigeria’s tax regime, broadening the tax net, and aligning rules with global standards.

See also  Venezuelan interim president announces proposal for mass amnesty

Quoting the report of the Presidential Committee on Fiscal Policy and Tax Reform, chaired by Prof. Taiwo Oyedele, Dogara said the reforms were conceived to “protect the poor, empower businesses, encourage investment, and ensure fairness across society.”

Among the reliefs are exemptions for small companies with turnover of N100m or less, rent reliefs for salaried workers, and a full income tax exemption for individuals earning N800,000 or less annually.

He also addressed concerns over a five per cent fuel surcharge, clarifying it was not a new tax but a provision already in the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency Act, 2007.

‎“This safeguard eliminates recklessness and ensures timing and economic conditions are carefully considered,” he said.

‎While applauding the reforms, Dogara warned of challenges with interpretation, digital readiness, and compliance costs. “True tax reform is not about raising rates, but about raising trust. When citizens can see where their naira goes, they are proud to give it,” he said, urging government to channel revenues into infrastructure, healthcare, and education.

‎“This is a legacy that would impact generations after us and cement President Tinubu’s place in Nigeria’s history as the undisputed most consequential economic reformer of our time,” he added.‎

‎The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, also commended the reforms, calling them a decisive step toward fairness and efficiency. He was represented by the House Spokesperson, Akin Rotimi, who said, “Indeed, what we now have before us is one of the most significant steps of building our Fourth Republic, with the greatest potential to transform our economy and fiscal institutions.”

See also  Tinubu reinstates Fubara after Emergency Rule

Other voices at the event, including the Federal Inland Revenue Service, the Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Centre, lawmakers, and the Nigeria Union of Journalists, echoed calls for transparency, accountability, and effective communication to build trust in the reforms.

‎‎Chairman of the House of Representatives Press Corps, Gboyega Onadiran, said the lecture was designed to demystify Tinubu’s tax reform agenda and clarify issues for Nigerians.

‎Organising Committee Chairman, Philip Nyiam, added that the initiative marked a new chapter for parliamentary reporting by positioning journalists as “Agenda setters and contributors to national development.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  US expands travel restrictions, adds Nigeria to list of countries

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PenCom urges FG to raise police pension contribution to 20%

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu reinstates Fubara after Emergency Rule
Continue Reading

Trending