Connect with us

News

Four persons hospitalised as fire guts two Lagos buildings

Published

on

Four yet-to-be-identified persons are currently battling for their lives after fire gutted a six-storey building at the Afriland Tower, which houses a branch of the United Bank for Africa and other companies on Broad Street in the Lagos Island area of Lagos State.

This is just as another plaza located in the same area, was gutted by fire, which led to a part of the building caving in.

It was learnt that the first incident caused panic among occupants and passersby in the busy commercial hub.

According to multiple videos shared on social media, individuals were seen attempting to jump from the storey building, while others were rescued with the aid of ladders by residents and passersby.

Crowds gathered in front of the building also watched in panic as firefighters and volunteers attempted to bring the situation under control.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Tuesday, the Deputy Controller of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Ogabi Olajide, said the emergency call was received at 1:38 p.m., and fire crews from the Ebute Elefun and Sari Iganmu fire stations responded.

“The call was received at 13:38 hours, and fire crews from Ebute Elefun Fire Station and Sari Iganmu Fire Station responded.

“The fire originated in the inverter room located in the basement of the building, while smoke spread across multiple floors and engulfed the structure,” Olajide stated.

According to him, evacuation of occupants was in progress, while firefighting operations had been concluded, dousing the earlier panic before the arrival of the first responders.

See also  PHOTOS: Remi Tinubu Donates 1,000 Bags Of Rice To Bauchi Christians

An unidentified emergency responder, who was interviewed at the scene of the incident, has said he was able to rescue two people out of the fire.

“I brought out two people with my own hands from the top of the building, but when the firefighters came, we were asked to go out,” he said.

While providing an update, the firefighting agency official, in another terse statement obtained, stated that 11 persons had been evacuated into the ambulances.

He further explained that out of the 11, a total of nine casualties were rescued, while five individuals were successfully resuscitated.

“Several others escaped unhurt, while efforts are currently ongoing to resuscitate the remaining four individuals. Relevant emergency agencies are on the ground to ensure crowd control and easy movement of emergency responders.”

In another incident, PUNCH Metro gathered that a part of the Central Plaza located on Broad Street, Lagos Island, caved in after it was gutted by fire on Tuesday.

The inferno, which began at about 7:40 p.m., spread rapidly through the multi-storey shopping complex.

Our correspondent, who monitored the incident, observed that the collapse occurred while the emergency responders were making efforts to curtail the inferno.

Traders and shop owners were also seen carrying out their wares and equipment in an effort to salvage their livelihoods.

An eyewitness who did not want to be mentioned in print told PUNCH Metro that the occupants of the building had been evacuated before a part of it collapsed.

“When the fire started, the traders had been evacuated before the building collapsed.

See also  US Secretary of war expresses readiness to act over attacks on Christian in Nigeria

“The collapse occurred while the emergency responders were trying to curtail the fire. I don’t think anybody was trapped under the building,” the eyewitness said.

When contacted for a reaction to the second incident, the spokesperson for the LSFRS, Shakiru Amodu, disclosed that the rescue operation was ongoing.

He, however, said details of the incident would be disclosed upon the conclusion of the operations.

“We are at the scene of the incident. I cannot give details at the moment because the rescue operation is still ongoing. Details will be provided later,” Amodu said.

As of the time of filing this report, the exact causes of the fire incidents could not be ascertained.

PUNCH Metro had on September 5 reported that a fire gutted A1 Petroleum Filling Station on Isawo Road, off Agric Bus Stop, Ikorodu, Lagos, causing panic among residents and commuters in the area.

Reports indicated that the blaze started from a diesel-laden truck parked within the premises of the station, forcing people to scamper for safety as fears of a possible explosion spread.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  SERAP Writes Tinubu, Demands Certified Copies Of Tax Laws

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  You can’t lie about your country and then we keep quiet - Dabiri-Erewa slams Kemi Badenoch over claim on Nigerian citizenship

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Remi Tinubu Donates 1,000 Bags Of Rice To Bauchi Christians
Continue Reading

Trending