Connect with us

News

Four persons hospitalised as fire guts two Lagos buildings

Published

on

Four yet-to-be-identified persons are currently battling for their lives after fire gutted a six-storey building at the Afriland Tower, which houses a branch of the United Bank for Africa and other companies on Broad Street in the Lagos Island area of Lagos State.

This is just as another plaza located in the same area, was gutted by fire, which led to a part of the building caving in.

It was learnt that the first incident caused panic among occupants and passersby in the busy commercial hub.

According to multiple videos shared on social media, individuals were seen attempting to jump from the storey building, while others were rescued with the aid of ladders by residents and passersby.

Crowds gathered in front of the building also watched in panic as firefighters and volunteers attempted to bring the situation under control.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Tuesday, the Deputy Controller of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Ogabi Olajide, said the emergency call was received at 1:38 p.m., and fire crews from the Ebute Elefun and Sari Iganmu fire stations responded.

“The call was received at 13:38 hours, and fire crews from Ebute Elefun Fire Station and Sari Iganmu Fire Station responded.

“The fire originated in the inverter room located in the basement of the building, while smoke spread across multiple floors and engulfed the structure,” Olajide stated.

According to him, evacuation of occupants was in progress, while firefighting operations had been concluded, dousing the earlier panic before the arrival of the first responders.

See also  SEE FULL LIST: Nigeria drops to 90th in latest global passport ranking

An unidentified emergency responder, who was interviewed at the scene of the incident, has said he was able to rescue two people out of the fire.

“I brought out two people with my own hands from the top of the building, but when the firefighters came, we were asked to go out,” he said.

While providing an update, the firefighting agency official, in another terse statement obtained, stated that 11 persons had been evacuated into the ambulances.

He further explained that out of the 11, a total of nine casualties were rescued, while five individuals were successfully resuscitated.

“Several others escaped unhurt, while efforts are currently ongoing to resuscitate the remaining four individuals. Relevant emergency agencies are on the ground to ensure crowd control and easy movement of emergency responders.”

In another incident, PUNCH Metro gathered that a part of the Central Plaza located on Broad Street, Lagos Island, caved in after it was gutted by fire on Tuesday.

The inferno, which began at about 7:40 p.m., spread rapidly through the multi-storey shopping complex.

Our correspondent, who monitored the incident, observed that the collapse occurred while the emergency responders were making efforts to curtail the inferno.

Traders and shop owners were also seen carrying out their wares and equipment in an effort to salvage their livelihoods.

An eyewitness who did not want to be mentioned in print told PUNCH Metro that the occupants of the building had been evacuated before a part of it collapsed.

“When the fire started, the traders had been evacuated before the building collapsed.

See also  Attempted Coup in Benin Republic as military attacks President Talon’s residence, seizes national TV

“The collapse occurred while the emergency responders were trying to curtail the fire. I don’t think anybody was trapped under the building,” the eyewitness said.

When contacted for a reaction to the second incident, the spokesperson for the LSFRS, Shakiru Amodu, disclosed that the rescue operation was ongoing.

He, however, said details of the incident would be disclosed upon the conclusion of the operations.

“We are at the scene of the incident. I cannot give details at the moment because the rescue operation is still ongoing. Details will be provided later,” Amodu said.

As of the time of filing this report, the exact causes of the fire incidents could not be ascertained.

PUNCH Metro had on September 5 reported that a fire gutted A1 Petroleum Filling Station on Isawo Road, off Agric Bus Stop, Ikorodu, Lagos, causing panic among residents and commuters in the area.

Reports indicated that the blaze started from a diesel-laden truck parked within the premises of the station, forcing people to scamper for safety as fears of a possible explosion spread.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  315 Nigerians To Be Evacuated From South Africa On Final Flight

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  US-based Nigerian doctor escapes death in Oyo mob attack
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Police summon VeryDarkMan, quiz AIG over allegations

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending