Connect with us

News

Fubara consults Tinubu on Rivers peace sustenance

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, on Monday in Abuja said he is at peace with his political benefactor.

He also noted that “proper peace” has returned to the state after a months-long feud that triggered an emergency rule in March.

Speaking to journalists after meeting President Bola Tinubu at the Aso Rock Villa in Abuja, Fubara stressed that he had resumed his duties in an atmosphere of peace and cooperation.

“As far as I’m concerned, we have made peace. Fubara and his principal are working together,” the governor said, referring to his estranged predecessor and current Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike.

Fubara also revealed that his visit to Tinubu was a courtesy call and an opportunity to seek direction following the expiration of the six-month emergency rule that saw his suspension and those of key political leaders of the state.

“Ideally, it’s proper for me to see Mr. President and to tell him that I’m back, and I’ve also resumed my responsibility as the governor of Rivers State,” he said, adding, “It’s not much. It’s a father-son discussion, telling him thank you, and the areas where, if at all, there should be any issue for him to guide me properly so we don’t get in any situation of crisis.”

Tinubu lifted the emergency rule on September 17, restoring the offices of governor, deputy governor and the House of Assembly after a political impasse between Fubara and Wike that had crippled governance.

The Supreme Court had earlier declared that “there was no government in Rivers State,” citing the collapse of relations between the loyalists of both men in the assembly.

See also  Nigerians lose millions in dashed Umrah dreams due to US-Iran war

The crisis threatened governance in the oil-rich state as vital pipelines came under attack in the days leading to Tinubu’s declaration of emergency rule.

Meanwhile, Fubara on Monday lamented the huge economic opportunities lost due to the underutilisation of the state’s two seaports, warning that unless their capacities are optimised, both Rivers and Nigeria will continue to miss out on jobs, investments, and industrial growth.

The governor stated this when he received a delegation of the Nigerian Ports Authority Board and Management, led by its Chairman, Senator Adeyeye Adedayo Clement, on a courtesy visit to Government House, Port Harcourt.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Nelson Chukwudi, the governor said seaports remain critical to national development, noting that world-class ports and airports drive prosperity in many countries.

He stressed that despite being strategically blessed with the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports, Rivers had yet to fully harness their potential.

“We are blessed with the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports, but the truth is they are underutilised. Imagine if Onne Port was working at full capacity—the level of activities around Eleme, Tai, and the surrounding areas would transform the entire state’s economy. It will drive employment, create opportunities in manufacturing, and expand clearing and forwarding operations,” he said.

Fubara explained that maximising the capacity of both ports would attract industries seeking proximity to export facilities, reduce logistics costs, and boost investor confidence. He added that the ripple effects would include job creation, business growth, and higher tax revenues.

He also highlighted the relatively peaceful environment in Rivers under his administration, which, he noted, had fostered smoother relations between host communities, government, and the port authority compared to the disruptions seen elsewhere.

See also  Senate meets Tuesday as fake agency budget row deepens

On infrastructure, the Governor decried the poor federal roads linking the ports, describing them as a major hindrance to operations. While acknowledging that road repairs were a federal responsibility, he pledged state support through traffic management, discipline among trailer drivers, and complementary measures to ease congestion.

Fubara further promised to enhance security within the port precincts by establishing a new police station. He linked insecurity to unemployment, stressing that reviving port activity would reduce youth restiveness and crime.

“Most of these societal issues stem from unemployment. If activities pick up at the ports, nobody will want to be a criminal when there are genuine opportunities to make a living,” he said.

The Governor also cautioned against encroachment on port lands, warning that such practices undermine development. He urged the NPA Board to provide details of encroachment cases for immediate government intervention.

On flooding, he explained that poor access roads and drainage were the major causes and assured that the state would collaborate with the NPA on remedial works once the problem areas were identified.

Commending the board for partnering with the state before embarking on intervention projects, Fubara said such collaboration would ensure community buy-in and sustainability. “When government is part of your programmes, it means you have already succeeded, because the government represents the people,” he noted.

He pledged his administration’s full support to the NPA, urging the Board to transform the seaports into engines of economic growth rather than “monuments of neglect.”

In his remarks, NPA Board Chairman, Senator Adeyeye Adedayo Clement, said Nigeria’s littoral states are endowed with rich marine resources that are veritable catalysts for growth. He pledged the Board’s commitment to reviving operations at the Port Harcourt and Onne seaports and sought the state government’s support in rehabilitating access roads, ensuring environmental cleanliness, curbing illegal truck parking, and establishing a police post to tackle insecurity.

See also  PDP convention: Wike bloc installs new NWC in Abuja

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Oyo kidnap carried out by dislodged JAS terrorists — DHQ

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigerians lose millions in dashed Umrah dreams due to US-Iran war
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Forensic report reveals Amupitan has no X account, says INEC

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending