The Edo State Special Security Squad has dismantled five suspected kidnappers’ camps in Edo North Senatorial District following a major bush-combing operation in the Ekeke Erah Forest, Owan East Local Government Area.
In a statement by Governor Monday Okpebholo’s Chief Press Secretary, Monday Itua, the operation, carried out on Thursday and Friday, was coordinated by the Governor’s Principal Security Officer in collaboration with the Nigerian Army, local vigilantes, and other security agencies.
Operatives reportedly trekked nearly five kilometres deep into the forest between Afuze and Ora, where the camps were uncovered and destroyed.
A member of the squad, Eribo Ewanta, said after the six-hour exercise that evidence confirmed the camps were still in active use.
“We discovered five camps with clear indications that their occupants had only just fled. We found fire still burning and a pot of food left on the fire. This confirms the presence of suspected kidnappers in the area,” Ewanta said.
He explained that the operation escalated into an exchange of gunfire at a riverbank, as suspected kidnappers, apparently alerted to the presence of security personnel, attempted to evade capture. He also noted evidence of cattle grazing in the forest, raising suspicion that the hideouts may have been linked to armed herdsmen.
“We engaged the suspects in a serious gun duel, but they escaped deeper into the forest. Nevertheless, we are on their trail. Their camps have been dismantled and destroyed. Edo State will no longer provide a haven for criminal elements,” he declared.
Ewanta assured residents that the exercise was part of ongoing efforts to flush out kidnappers and violent groups from the state.
“We are battle-ready. The directive of the Governor is clear: Edo must be free of criminal elements. We will pursue them relentlessly until they are apprehended.”
He also commended Governor Okpebholo for his commitment to fortifying security, noting that the administration’s coordinated strategy is restoring public confidence and sending a clear message to criminal gangs.
The clampdown comes against the backdrop of persistent insecurity in Edo and neighbouring states. Kidnapping and cult-related violence have remained major threats, particularly along the Benin-Auchi axis.
In September, police rescued 16 abducted travellers along the highway, while earlier this year the ESSC arrested 18 suspected kidnappers and armed robbers near an army checkpoint along the same route. https://punchng.com/edo-security-outfit-arrests-18-suspected-kidnappers/ https://punchng.com/kidnappers-abduct-travellers-in-edo-police-rescue-16/
Since assuming office in 2024, Okpebholo has prioritised security by launching the Edo State Special Security Squad, codenamed Operation Flush Out Cultists and Kidnappers.
The outfit has since led raids on criminal hideouts, arrested suspects, demolished buildings used by cultists or kidnappers, and targeted the heads of cult groups to weaken their networks.
Kidnapping and cult-related violence have remained persistent security threats in Edo and neighbouring states in recent years.
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.