Connect with us

News

ECOWAS revives regional blue economy strategy

Published

on

The Economic Community of West African States has restarted efforts to finalise its long-pending Regional Blue Economy Strategy, beginning with a high-level consultative workshop held on Monday in Abuja.

The workshop gathered key representatives from ECOWAS member states, regional economic bodies, and continental institutions to review and validate the draft strategy, which has been inactive since its initial development in 2022.

The blue economy—covering marine resources, aquaculture, maritime transport, ocean conservation, and climate adaptation—is regarded as essential for sustainable growth across West Africa.

The initial draft was created under the Programme for Improved Regional Fisheries Governance in Western Africa, but had since stalled due to administrative delays.

The Programme Officer for Fishery Development and Focal Person for Blue Economy at ECOWAS, Djiga Thiao, delivered remarks on behalf of the outgoing Director of Agriculture and Rural Development, Alain Traoré.

Thiao warmly welcomed participants to Abuja and underscored the strategic importance of regional cooperation on marine resource management.

He highlighted the interconnected nature of marine sectors and the need for policy alignment.

“You know that the marine resources and the water resources are the crossroads of many sectors—fisheries, aquaculture, shipping—also in the context of climate change and sustainable livelihood that we need to get from these resources. So we need to have harmonised policies and guiding policies to get the best benefit from these resources.

“That’s why we need a blue economy strategy. It is highly important for ECOWAS to have a regional one.

He acknowledged the historical gap in progress.

See also  LASG Addresses Makoko Demolition Concerns, Unveils $2m Redevelopment Initiative

“I should remind you that we had a draft since 2022 that was pending. I think that was during the PESCAO project. And unfortunately, after the PESCAO project, this draft was staying just like it is so far.”

Despite the delay, Thiao emphasised that the strategy remains a top priority within the ECOWAS Commission.

“The Commissioner said she wanted this blue economy strategy to be one of ECOWAS’ biggest legacies. Unfortunately, she is leaving us tomorrow and as well as the director.

“But like the French people say, les personnes partent, les institutions demeurent. So this blue economy will still be a big priority for the new director and Commissioner who are coming. And that’s why we are fully committed to making this process of review and validation very successful.”

He stressed the shared responsibility among stakeholders.

“This work we are doing, if we get success, it will be our success together. But if we fail, we will fail together. So, you delegate from the member state and on our side from ECOWAS, we have the duty to work closely with the experts so that we get this blue economy strategy, a draft that will be validated later.”

Thiao thanked the African Union-InterAfrican Bureau for Animal Resources for its swift support.

The Blue Economy Advisor at the African Union Commission, Linda Etta, spoke virtually on behalf of Hassan Nyambe, Director, Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy Division, AUC.

“The African Union Commission is deeply committed to supporting member states and regional economic communities in translating the strategic ambitions into tangible outcomes.

See also  Changing service chiefs won’t end insecurity in Nigeria – Getso

“Initiatives like the ECOWAS regional blue economy strategy are critical to ensuring policy harmonisation, shared best practices, and investment mobilisation across our region,” she said.

A Blue Economy Expert at AU-IBAR, Dr Mohammed Seisay, reinforced the AU’s commitment to national and regional efforts.

“One of the decisions taken was to support AU members and regional economic communities so that they are able to have their own respective blue economy strategy.

“We started with four countries. Then we supported another 11 countries. We have also been supporting regional economic communities,” he noted.

Seisay also highlighted recent support to Burkina Faso. “It was on that basis that we supported Burkina Faso to develop its national blue economy strategy. So this support is timely for that region.”

Participants at the workshop included representatives from AU-IBAR, the AUC, the Fisheries Committee for the West Central Gulf of Guinea, and national delegates from across ECOWAS member states, alongside technical experts working on the strategy’s finalisation.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Oyo unveils plans to digitise street, house numbering

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Invasion Threats: US Looking For Opportunity To Establish Base In Nigeria — Dambazau
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  '𝗜 𝗹𝗲𝗱 600 𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿', 𝗚𝘂𝗺𝗶 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀 𝗻𝗲𝗴𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗲

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending