Connect with us

News

Nigerians languish in prisons as Ethiopia stalls repatriation MoU

Published

on

Dozens of Nigerians remain behind bars in Ethiopia as efforts to repatriate them stall, following delays in finalising a crucial Memorandum of Understanding between both countries.

The agreement, which would allow convicted Nigerians to serve the remainder of their sentences at home, has yet to be ratified by the Ethiopian government despite repeated diplomatic engagements and mounting pressure from civil society groups.

Speaking on the matter on Wednesday, the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, said the delay was not from the Nigerian side.

“The ministry has fulfilled its own side of the formalities for the Transfer of Sentenced Persons MoU.

It is the Ethiopian side that is stalling,” she said through her media aide, Magnus Eze.

The ministry disclosed in 2023 that more than 270 Nigerians were serving various prison terms in Ethiopia, mostly for drug-related offences.

Families and advocacy groups have continued to raise alarm over the poor conditions in detention centres.

President-General of the My Dreamalive Development Foundation, Ambassador Onwuka Collins,  condemned the situation last week, describing conditions in the prisons as “deplorable.”

“It is sad that some Nigerians in Ethiopian prisons have already died due to these harsh conditions, while others are suffering from illnesses, including kidney stones and stroke. We cannot continue to watch helplessly as our brothers languish in prison without a fair trial. We, therefore, need urgent help,” Collins said.

He further alleged reports of abuse, citing “inadequate food which is often self-made, inadequate medical care and negligence, brutal treatment, as well as extortion by prison officials.”

See also  Technology key to implementing new tax laws – Adedeji

Despite a Federal High Court ruling in November 2024 ordering the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission to facilitate the return of Nigerians imprisoned in Ethiopia, progress remains stalled.

The court had also noted Ethiopia’s admission that it lacked the budget to care for foreign inmates.

Renewed pressure was mounted on April 17, 2025, when Odumegwu-Ojukwu led a delegation to meet the Ethiopian Ambassador to Nigeria, Legesse Geremew Haile, urging Ethiopia to expedite the MoU.

“Our people don’t want to hear that another Nigerian inmate died in Ethiopian prison,” the minister said, expressing frustration over what she called a lack of political will from Ethiopia despite earlier assurances.

Ambassador Haile, while reaffirming Ethiopia’s ties with Nigeria, admitted the MoU was still awaiting ratification by the country’s House of Representatives.

The prolonged delay has already claimed lives. On March 12, 2023, Favour Eze, held at Kaliti Prison in Addis Ababa, reportedly died after being brutalised by prison officials.

Another inmate, Uchenna Nwanneneme, died on September 21, 2023, from tuberculosis after allegedly receiving little to no medical attention.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Supreme Court affirms President’s power to declare state of emergency, suspend elected officials

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG withdraws criminal complaint against Ibom Air passenger, reduces KWAM 1’s ban

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  See why it’s hard tracking bandits with technology — Presidential aide
Continue Reading

Trending