Connect with us

Crime

Cover up! Nasarawa cops freed after murder of seven Lagos traders

Published

on

Police authorities have released the three policemen accused of killing seven traders at the Owode-Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market in Lagos State.

Our correspondent also gathered that the suspected land grabber involved in the incident had been released on bail.

Families of the deceased said they were being asked to pay huge sums for postmortems before the bodies of their loved ones could be released.

On August 30, 2025, Saturday PUNCH had reported how a suspected land grabber allegedly led policemen from the  Nasarawa State Police Command to unleash violence in the market.

About 50 vehicles were reportedly destroyed.

Sources revealed that the three policemen involved in the incident were taken to Abuja instead of facing trial in Lagos where the incident occurred.

A source said, “The policemen were from Nasarawa command. They were brought from their state to Lagos by the suspected land grabber. After the killings, they were taken to Abuja for an orderly room trial. But the Provost freed them on claims of self-defence.”

It was alleged that the provost and the Nasarawa Commissioner of Police were friends, which influenced the decision to free the cops. The claim could not be confirmed by our correspondent.

It was gathered that the alleged mastermind, identified as Abiodun Ariori, had also been released.

While in detention at the State Criminal Investigation Department, he reportedly filed a bail application at the High Court, which the police failed to challenge.

Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, condemned the development, saying his chamber was ready to prosecute the suspects.

See also  37 Katsina kidnap victims regain freedom after negotiations with bandits -Lawmaker

“If the police are not willing to prosecute, we will. The offence was committed in Lagos, so there was no basis for the case to be transferred to Abuja. If they are claiming self-defence, they should come and say it in court,” Falana said.

Families of the deceased also accused the authorities of neglect, injustice, and extortion.

They lamented that while the suspected land grabber had regained his freedom, their loved ones’ bodies still remained in the morgue.

Moruf Olayemi, uncle to one of the deceased, Akinboye Oluwaseyi, said the demand for payment before postmortems was an exploitation of victims.

He said, “We were told there were about 600 bodies in the morgue and that if our association pays, the process will be done quickly. But it means families will indirectly bear the cost. Meanwhile, the land grabber who was handed over to the police has been freed. It shows there is no justice in Nigeria. When you have money, you can behave anyhow. The poor are always on the receiving end. Oluwaseyi left behind three children, aged seven, five and two.”

Owolabi Ganiu, the employer of another victim, Wale Adebayo, accused the police of monetising postmortems.

Ganiu expressed anger at the silence of both state and local governments.

“Not even a condolence visit has come. This is about human lives. We call on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to intervene. Adebayo left behind a three-year-old child, and his mother-in-law even suffered a stroke after his death.”

Another bereaved father, Abiodun Temilola, who lost his son Abraham, described the process as unfair.

See also  Nigerian national pleads guilty to years-long romance scam that defrauded multiple US citizens of over $400,000

“They should release his body to us if they are not ready to conduct the postmortem. Abraham was a gentleman with no issues with the police. We cannot afford the amount they are asking for,” he said.

Similarly, Biliaminu Adeoye, father of Akeem Adeoye, said the widows and orphans left behind were struggling.

“Asking us for huge sums in this condition is wickedness,” he lamented.

The Chairman of the Owode-Onirin Motor Spare Parts Market, Abiodun Ahmed, urged families to be patient, saying the government would be responsible for postmortems.

“We were informed that some funds might help speed up the process, but it’s not as though the police are demanding money from us,” Ahmed clarified.

He also confirmed that the suspected land grabber had been released after instituting suits against the police, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, and the market.

He said, “We heard he was granted bail on medical grounds. But the police have since stationed officers at the market to protect traders and prevent further violence.”

The Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Adebisi, said this was the first time she was hearing about the case and would get back to our correspondent.

She had yet to do so as of press time.

The Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, could not be reached for comment.

But Saturday PUNCH gathered that the Inspector General of Police had ordered a review of the case.

The Lagos CP, Moshood Jimoh, is also said to be determined to prosecute the suspects.

See also  PHOTOS: Nigerian man sentenced to 90 months imprisonment in US for fraud and money laundering

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Bandits behead abducted Oyo teacher

Published

on

One of the kidnapped teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State, Michael Oyedokun, has been killed.

Oyedokun was beheaded in a new video allegedly released by bandits on Sunday.

The video obtained by our correspondent on Telegram on Monday showed that the teacher was gruesomely killed after being tied and forced to speak.

The viral inhumane video has raised fresh concerns over the safety of the remaining victims.

This latest development has thrown the community into mourning as residents, families of the victims and native continue to call on security agencies and the Oyo State Government to intensify rescue operations to secure the release of those still in captivity before being killed.

Confirming the killing of the teacher, Dr Suleimon Olanrewaju, the Special Adviser on Media to Governor Seyi Makinde, in a statement on Monday, said the governor extended his condolences to the victim’s family and assured his government would explore both kinetic and non-kinetic approaches to rescue others in the kidnappers’ den.

He also added that about six suspects related to the kidnapping incident have been arrested.

He equally sympathised with the family members of the tactical team of soldiers, Amotekun Corps and local vigilantes, who lost their lives in the rescue operation.

According to him, the operatives lost their lives when they ran into Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), planted by the abductors.

He stated that the wounded security personnel were responding positively to treatment and that the government would spare no cost in taking care of them.

He appealed to the victims’ relatives, religious bodies and other interested parties to exercise patience, promising that the government will rescue and reunite the victims with their families.

See also  Two Nigerian nationals arrested for drug dealing in South Africa

“So, please, there may not be quick fixes, but we will continue to endeavour to push ourselves to the limit to resolve this quickly.

“What we know right now is that seven teachers in all were abducted. And, unfortunately, we got a video this morning that one of the teachers, I understand, the mathematics teacher, was killed by the terrorists,” he stated.

Makinde, however, said the government has achieved some success with the operation, with some individuals already arrested in connection with the situation.

“Well, from the information available from the Commissioner of Police, about six individuals have been arrested within the locality.

“Some of them, we believe, are perhaps informants or people running logistics for the terrorists.

“Also, three individuals of interest have been arrested by another security outfit within the state,” he said.

PUNCH Online reports that the gunmen invaded the school on Friday, May 15, and abducted the principal, alongside other teachers and several students.

The attack, which happened some weeks after a failed kidnap attempt that left one traveler dead along the Ibadan-Ijebu road, has renewed concerns over rising insecurity in parts of Oyo State and across Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Crime

Hoodlums rape Lagos sexagenarian to death

Published

on

Residents of Oke Egan in the Ilogbo-Eremi area of Badagry, Lagos State, were thrown into shock on Friday after the body of a sexagenarian woman, Victoria Adegoke, was found abandoned in a nearby bush.

PUNCH Metro learnt from community sources on Sunday that the deceased was allegedly found naked and was suspected of having been raped and strangled before her body was dragged into the bush.

One of the photographs obtained by PUNCH Metro on Sunday showed what appeared to be marks indicating that the victim’s hands had been tied by her assailants.

A community leader, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the incident, said Adegoke, believed to be in her 60s and a grandmother, was found around 6:10am on Friday.

He told our correspondent that the deceased had attended a programme at The Joy of Christ Ministry, popularly known as Ayo Jesu Church.

According to the source, Adegoke was allegedly ambushed by some hoodlums while returning home in the early hours of the day.

“The deceased is someone I know. Her daughter stays abroad. She went to church last Tuesday and had been there for some time because they were holding a programme that ended four days ago.

“She later stayed with one of her siblings who lives close to the church. It was while she was returning home around six in the morning that she was reportedly attacked.

“The suspects removed her clothes and underwear. They strangled her and also took her phone. Her ATM card and Bible were found at the scene,” the source said.

See also  LASTMA Apprehends Six Members Of ‘One-Chance’ Syndicate

Another resident who identified himself only as Adeola described the incident as shocking, questioning why an elderly woman would be subjected to such brutality.

“She should be between 65 and 68 years old. Passersby found her body inside the bush and reported the matter at the police post in Ilogbo-Eremi.

“The police are aware of the incident and should be able to track the assailants through the woman’s stolen phone,” the resident said.

A community member, who also requested anonymity for fear of attack, described the area of the incident as notorious for violent crimes.

“The community is along the boundary between Lagos and Ogun states and is known for criminal activities. This is not the first time such a crime has happened here.

In fact, this would be about the fourth such incident reported in the area.

“The place is prone to violence, so people have to be careful. She was a grandmother, not a young woman. She was found naked, and it was when the police arrived that her body was covered. Her pants had been removed, which suggested she was raped,” the source added.

When contacted on Sunday, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Police Command, CSP Abimbola Adebisi, did not respond to calls or a WhatsApp message sent to his line at the time of this report.

This is not the first time a disturbing incident has been reported in Badagry. In November 2025, the corpse of an unidentified man was discovered in front of a filling station in the Seme area of the town.

See also  PHOTOS: Dad 'r@ped daughters, 7 and 8, in front of 10-year-old son'

The discovery was first reported by CityMood Badagry, a local social media news platform.

The deceased was found lying face-up, wearing what appeared to be a white top with black stripes, with parts of his chest and neck visibly exposed.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Supporter shot dead during Lagos APC primary election

Published

on

A yet-to-be-identified man was shot dead while several others sustained injuries during a violent clash that erupted at the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election in the Ikotun area of Lagos State on Saturday.

PUNCH Metro learnt  on Sunday that the incident occurred during the party’s primary election held at a primary school in the Ile-Iwe, Egbe area of the community.

The APC on Saturday conducted primary elections for aspirants vying for seats in the House of Representatives across the country.

It was gathered that the exercise was ongoing peacefully before an argument allegedly broke out among rival supporters at the venue. This was said to have led to chaos and violence.

A resident familiar with the incident, who asked not to be identified for security reasons told our correspondent on Sunday that gunshots later rang out during the disruption.

The resident said, “The primary held in a primary school at the Ile-Iwe area of Ikotun Egbe. The exercise was ongoing when an argument suddenly broke out among some supporters.

“The situation later degenerated and people started running for safety. In the process, gunshots were heard and one person was hit. Some others were also injured during the confusion.”

Another resident, who identified himself simply as Taofeek, said the violence disrupted activities in the area as other supporters and delegates fled for fear of further attacks.

“We suddenly started hearing people shouting and running. Everybody became confused because nobody initially knew what was happening.

“After the gunshots, people started jumping fences and hiding in nearby houses. It was later that we heard that one person was killed while others sustained injuries,” Taofeek disclosed.

See also  PHOTOS: Dad 'r@ped daughters, 7 and 8, in front of 10-year-old son'

He further explained that the injured victim was rushed out of the venue but later died on the way to the hospital.

“The victim was rushed out after he was shot, but we learnt he later died. It created serious tension around the venue because many people were afraid,” he added.

A police source in the area told PUNCH Metro that additional security operatives were drafted to the scene of the incident before normalcy was restored.

“The moment the situation became violent, our men called for backup and the DPO and Area Commander moved to the venue to restore peace,” the police source said.

The police source, however, did not confirm if any arrest had been made.

Efforts to reach the spokesperson for the Nigeria Police Force in Lagos State, Abimbola Adebisi, were unsuccessful as calls and messages sent to his telephone line were not responded to.

Party officials were yet to issue an official statement regarding the incident as of press time.

Electoral and political violence have remained recurring concerns in Nigeria, particularly during party primaries, elections and rerun polls, with clashes among rival supporters often resulting in injuries, deaths and destruction of property.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending