Connect with us

Crime

Inside bandit bloody attack that emptied Kwara community

Published

on

On Sunday, September 28, residents of Oke-Ode, a quiet agrarian town in Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, woke up to the staccato of gunfire.

What followed was not just another bandit attack, it was a massacre that shattered the town’s soul.

When the smoke cleared, no fewer than 15 people were confirmed dead— hunters, vigilantes, traders, a traditional leader and young men who had been the community’s first line of defence.

Families were kidnapped, entire compounds emptied, and hundreds of residents fled in panic.

They abandoned farmlands, shops, and schools.

Oke-Ode, once considered the safest town in the Igbomina axis, is now deserted.

Markets that once buzzed with traders are silent, sachet water sellers have disappeared, and bread is no longer available.

Fear is now the only currency that circulates in the town.

Some of those who died in the incident were identified as the Baale of Ogba Ayo, Abdulwasiu Abdulkareem; his brother, Fatai Abdulkareem; a prince from Agunjin, Ishola Muhammed; and Abdulfatai Elemosho from Babaloma.

Others are Salaudeen Bashir from Babaloma; Saheed from Abayan; Olowo-Ila  from Oke-Ode, Oluode Ologomo, Oji and Saheed Matubi.

We gave the attackers fire for fire  – Hunter

Amid the grief, survivors pointed to what they described as a suspicious security lapse.

It was first a grieving widow who accused men of the Department of State Services of complicity in the attack.

She alleged that the operatives disarmed the hunters and gave the guns to the herdsmen.

 

 

But Rafiu Ajakaye, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, said there was no truth to the claim.

He also noted that the leadership of the forest guards had disputed the claim.

But a local hunter, who narrowly escaped death and spoke on condition of anonymity, insisted that their guns were taken away before the bandits struck.

He also narrated how hunters confronted the hoodlums, who carried sophisticated guns.

The hunter said, “It is someone who has not seen a real fight that calls himself a man. It was a tough battle. Those people came with sophisticated weapons. We tried our best, but we were overwhelmed. We gave them fire for fire; the bandits were many.

“A military officer had collected most of our guns the previous day, saying he wanted to service them. Immediately, he collected the guns, he kept them in the house with bullets. He slept at Ajase, and maybe it was one of those supplying the guns that hinted them that the guns had been recovered from us, and that they should start coming.

See also  PHOTOS: Ex-convict, 3 Others Arrested Over Uk-Bound Cocaine Consignment In Liquid Starch

“That was the way I thought about it because since the guns were given to us, nobody attacked us. But it was the day he collected the guns and bullets for servicing that those people attacked. That looked suspicious.

“The remaining guns we had to protect ourselves were not enough at all. If the guns had not been collected and everything was available, they wouldn’t have been able to do that. They were able to attack us because we had insufficient guns and bullets.”

‘I hid in the roof while baale, brother were killed’

At Ógba-Ayo Quarters, one of the bloodiest flashpoints of the invasion, tragedy struck at the home of Abdulwasiu, the leader of the community.

A relative, who asked not to be named for security reasons, recounted the horror in a trembling voice.

“It was early in the morning, and I was sleeping when I started hearing gunshots,” he said.

“I quickly climbed the roof to hide. After about 30 minutes, I came down and saw my brother — the baale – his younger brother, and son lying dead in a pool of blood. Their bodies were riddled with bullets.”

The local chief left behind two wives and six other children, all now in hiding.

“There is no one left in Ógba Ayo. We don’t know if we will ever return to our homes or what the future holds for us,” the source lamented.

From hiding, another resident, Gbemisola Muhammed, popularly called Yeye Oge, still trembles when she recalls her husband’s final words.

“On Saturday night, he told me not to travel after dark because he had a premonition,” she told Saturday PUNCH.

“He went for a hunters’ meeting the next morning. He was not on duty that day, so he didn’t carry a gun. That was the last time I heard his voice.”

By Sunday, her husband, Prince Ishola Muhammed, was dead.

He was ambushed alongside his younger brother and brother-in-law. The attackers were said to have attempted to abduct his sister-in-law, who narrowly escaped.

See also  Tinubu signs ₦68.32trn 2026 budget, extends 2025 spending deadline

“My mother-in-law had just returned from hajj. The bandits asked after her too. They eventually left with my sister-in-law’s bag and phones,” Gbemisola said.

“Now, I am a widow,” she said.

For 27-year-old Rilwan Tajudeen, the pain of loss remains raw.

His father, a charcoal dealer, had only gone to Oke-Ode to buy goods when the bullets found him.

“My father was not a hunter. He was returning from the market when they shot him and the motorcycle rider carrying him,” Rilwan said.

“I carried him in a pool of blood. Six bullets were removed from his body. He died in my hands. I don’t know how to continue without him.”

Rilwan has since abandoned the only home he knew.

Families wiped out, babies kidnapped

Saturday PUNCH gathered that in Dabu village, a man identified as Taiye, his wife, and their two-month-old baby were kidnapped.

A popular doctor known as Baba Gold was also abducted along with his wife and two children.

“They killed Oluode Ologomo, a powerful hunter whose charms used to protect him. They stripped him of his amulets before shooting him. They wanted to make a statement that nobody is safe,” another resident said.

In Alade village, a Bororo man and a Hausa trader were reportedly killed before the bandits advanced into Oke-Ode.

No fewer than 15 people were killed.

A youth leader, Sesan Okeleye, lamented that the hunters died while serving without any form of remuneration.

“They were killed like chickens because their weapons were taken away under the guise of repairs. Somebody somewhere knows what is happening.”

Another indigene, Sunmonu Jamiu, added, “People here know the bandits’ hideouts. The soldiers too know. Why are they not going into the forests to flush them out? Until they do, we are not safe.”

Exodus in 200 vehicles

By midweek, Oke-Ode had emptied.

From Ajase-Ipo Junction down to the affected villages, residents carried bags of clothes and food as they boarded buses.

Commercial drivers confirmed that more than 200 vehicles evacuated residents between Sunday and Wednesday.

“The whole town has emptied,” one driver said. “It is possible the criminals will now take over after killing the Baale and the vigilantes.”

Even institutions were not spared. At the School of Nursing in Oke-Ode, where about 700 students were enrolled, classrooms and hostels stood empty.

See also  Oyo protests go nationwide, NASS moves on state police in reaction to school children abduction

Students were hurriedly relocated to Ilorin for safety.

“We could not take chances with their safety,” said Dr. Nasirudeen Tajudeen, a senior lecturer. “Accommodation has been secured in Ilorin. Academic work will continue there.”

The  Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, told Saturday PUNCH that the command had scaled up joint operations with other forces to restore normalcy.

She said, “We are not leaving anything to chance. The Kwara State Police Command, in synergy with the Nigerian Army, the Office of the National Security Adviser, and our sister agencies, is intensifying operations to ensure calm is restored to the hinterlands and the bandits terrorising our people are routed out.”

Kwara to set up task force, says gov

Kwara State Governor, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, vowed to ensure justice for the forest guards, hunters, and community leader killed in the attack.

The governor, in a statement posted on X on Friday, also announced plans to set up a civilian task force to bolster local security and tackle the growing wave of kidnappings and violent attacks across the state.

He said he held an emergency security meeting with stakeholders from Edu and Patigi LGAs on Thursday night.

He noted that the new civilian outfit would be drawn from local communities, adequately trained, and supported to work closely with conventional security agencies.

The governor explained that the task force would complement existing security structures, while its modalities would be fine-tuned in consultation with stakeholders to guarantee sustainability.

During the meeting, he noted that discussions also focused on supporting victims of past attacks, upgrading infrastructure at the College of Education (Technical), Lafiagi, and improving power supply across the Edu–Patigi axis.

Expressing grief over the Oke Ode tragedy, the governor described the slain men as heroes who laid down their lives for the safety of others.

“They will not die in vain. Beyond our solidarity and planned support for their families, we will not spare the criminals behind their deaths,” he said.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has arrested 10 suspected human parts sellers.

The suspects were arrested in the Iseyin and Saki areas of the state.

Public Relations Officer of the command, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The statement said the exhibits have been secured for forensic examination and further investigation.

The suspects were identified as Adam Ibrahim, Nasiru Kabiru, Tijani Wasiu, Abiola Nasiru, Amusa Gbadamosi, Raheem Taofeek, Jimoh Muritala, Suleiman Busari, Ganiyu Nurudeen and Usman Abdullahi.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Police arrest five for alleged kidnapping, drug trafficking in Kwara
Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Kebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qur’an after burying it in pit with s€men to make woman more submissive to her husband

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.

The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.

According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.

The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.

“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.

“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.

“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.

See also  Bauchi shuts all schools over security concerns

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Gunmen abduct 14 passengers in Benue

Published

on

Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.

A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.

“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.

According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.

Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.

“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read

“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”

The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.

See also  Recovered ISWAP footage reveals Palestinian trainer, Moroccan doctor – Army

He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.

According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.

He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending