Connect with us

News

Fubara swears in SSG, cautions against power abuse

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, on Monday, swore in  Benibo Anabraba as the new Secretary to the State Government, urging him to discharge his duties honourably and avoid abuse of power.

Anabraba’s appointment marked the first major appointment by Funara since his reinstatement following the lifting of the six-month emergency rule declared by President Bola Tinubu on September 18.

Anabraba, a former Minority Leader in the Rivers State House of Assembly on the platform of the All Progressives Congress, also previously served as Commissioner for Housing under the incumbent administration. He was among those screened by the former factional Speaker of the State Assembly loyal to the governor, Victor Oko-Jumbo.

While congratulating the new SSG, Fubara described the appointment as an act of divine favour.

He said, “So, I use the word ‘congratulations’ because this position you just got can only be God’s. My charge is very simple — God has brought you in at this particular time to be the Secretary to the Government of Rivers State.

“It’s a real opportunity. We can count the number of SSGs from the inception of Rivers State, but you can’t count the number of commissioners — they are too many. So, it’s a position of honour.

“I want you to guard that office with honour, discharge your duty with respect, and protect the interests of Rivers State. When you leave office, I want you to leave with honour, and you can only do so when you discharge your duty responsibly.”

The governor expressed confidence in Anabraba’s ability to perform, noting his past record of service.

See also  Presidential panels rack up N13bn bill

“I have no doubt that you’re going to perform well,” Fubara said. “I know you were a former member of the Rivers State House of Assembly. In fact, you were a principal officer at that time — I think Minority Leader. You were also one of my commissioners, and I knew, within the period we worked together, that you did well.

“You’re a very dedicated person. So this opportunity is not an opportunity to show power. It’s not an opportunity to say, ‘Because I have a big office, I can do as I please.’ It’s a call to duty.

“We’re coming from a very, very bad position. We really need to reassure the people of Rivers State that we mean well for them — especially now that peace has returned to the state. So please, by the grace of God, do your work very well to help us succeed in this assignment that God Almighty has given to us,” the governor added.

Our correspondent reports that Fubara’s return to the governorship has coincided with a flurry of administrative changes as the governor consolidates his team.

The appointment follows Fubara’s reinstatement after months of political and legal turbulence that led to his suspension under the emergency rule declared by President Tinubu.

Tinubu had, on March 18, 2025, declared a state of emergency in Rivers State, suspending the governor, his deputy, and members of the House of Assembly. He cited the prolonged political crisis between Fubara and his predecessor and political benefactor, Nyesom Wike, as the reason for the drastic measure.

In Fubara’s place, the President appointed retired Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas as Sole Administrator, with a mandate to restore political stability in the state.

See also  Oba Ladoja coronation rites begin with prayers

Upon assumption of office, Ibas suspended all commissioners, special advisers, and assistants appointed by Fubara. He also dissolved boards and suspended heads of parastatals he met in office.

Since Ibas exited the state on September 18, the fate of Fubara’s appointees had remained uncertain. The Rivers State House of Assembly, at its first sitting after the lifting of the emergency rule, called on the governor to submit a fresh list of commissioner-nominees for screening, alongside the 2025 budget for passage.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Tinubu has no plan to change Nigeria’s name, abolish Sharia law — Presidency 

Published

on

The Presidency has dismissed as false reports claiming that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu plans to initiate constitutional amendments aimed at changing Nigeria’s name to the “United States of Nigeria” and abolishing Sharia law in the northern region.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, described the viral report as fake and politically motivated.

According to the statement, the story was fabricated by “desperate politicians” seeking to create tension and political instability ahead of the next general elections.

“The Presidency wishes to inform Nigerians and state clearly that there is no truth to the viral fake story claiming that President Bola Tinubu seeks to carry out constitutional amendments that will change Nigeria’s name to the United States of Nigeria and abolish Sharia Law in the Northern region, among other claims,” the statement read.

The Presidency said the report falsely alleged that the administration intended to forward a constitutional amendment bill, reportedly code-named “Project True Federation,” to the National Assembly before the elections.

Onanuga stressed that President Tinubu has no such plan, explaining that constitutional amendments in Nigeria follow a strict legal and legislative process that cannot be undertaken unilaterally by the president

“President Tinubu has no plan whatsoever to send any bill code-named Project True Federation to the National Assembly by December 15, a few weeks before the general election.

“The process of amending the constitution is not at the President’s or the National Assembly’s whim. It is a task that requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers of the National Assembly and the concurrence of 24 State Houses of Assembly,” the statement added.

See also  Veteran Nollywood Actor, Victor Eriabie, Is De@d

According to the Presidency, Tinubu remains focused on economic reforms and governance rather than constitutional controversies, urging Nigerians to be cautious of misinformation and divisive content, especially as political activities intensify ahead of the elections.

“President Tinubu is focused on the arduous task of entrenching and deepening the economic reforms his administration has embarked upon. He is focused on delivering more tangible dividends to Nigerians.

“Nigerians should be wary of consuming fake and divisive reports, which will proliferate as the nation begins political campaigns,” the statement added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Fayemi reveals how he pushed Obi to greet Tinubu at Vatican

Published

on

Former Ekiti State Governor Kayode Fayemi has revealed that he persuaded Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, to approach President Bola Tinubu for a handshake at the inauguration of Pope Leo XIV in Vatican City last May.

Fayemi made the disclosure in an interview on Edmund Obilo’s YouTube channel which was uploaded on Thursday, saying Obi had initially hesitated over fears the encounter would be misrepresented in the media.

The meeting had first come to public attention on 18 May 2025, when presidential aide Bayo Onanuga shared photographs of the three men on X during the ceremony.

Onanuga said Fayemi spotted Tinubu seated among other world leaders and urged Obi to join him in greeting the president. “Fayemi sighted President Tinubu, where he sat with other leaders and asked Obi to follow him to pay homage to the Nigerian leader. Obi agreed,” he posted.

Fayemi’s account in the interview largely corroborates Onanuga’s version but adds that Obi initially hesitated and had to be persuaded, a detail the presidential aide did not mention.

Fayemi said both he and Obi attended the papal inauguration as Catholics and had shared breakfast with Cardinal Lazarus that morning before making their way to the ceremony, where they were seated four rows behind the president.

“Peter and I are Catholics. We were at the Vatican for the inauguration of the new pope. We happened to have had breakfast the morning of inauguration with Cardinal Lazarus and we came from his apartment to the venue of the inauguration and we sat four rows behind the president. We were there before the president came with his team,” Fayemi said.

See also  Veteran Nollywood Actor, Victor Eriabie, Is De@d

He said it was Minister of Foreign Affairs Bianca Ojukwu who first walked across from the presidential delegation to greet them, and that the moment gave him the opening to suggest they return the courtesy.

“The current minister of foreign affairs, Bianca Ojukwu, was on the president’s delegation and she came to say hello to us. And I felt, well, our president is there regardless of our politics. Peter, please let us go,” he said.

Fayemi said Obi was not immediately convinced, worried the moment could be weaponised against him in the press.

“He had his concern that this might be misused in the media. I said, Peter, it really didn’t matter. You are Catholic. You are a Nigerian. You are here. Our president has honoured us. He is even a Muslim. He is not a Catholic like you and I. So we could extend courtesies to him for doing this on behalf of all Nigerians to celebrate the pope,” Fayemi recalled.

He said Obi yielded and the two men walked up to the president together.

“Readily, Peter agreed. So we walked up to the president and I said, ‘Mr President, welcome to the Vatican. Thank you for honouring us with your presence,’” Fayemi narrated.

He said Tinubu responded swiftly and with humour.

“The president is quick-witted, you have got to give him some credit for that as well. He immediately retorted, ‘Kayode, what are you saying? I should be the one welcoming you because I am the leader of the Nigerian delegation,’” Fayemi said.

Obi then acknowledged the president’s position directly.

See also  Alassane Ouattara tipped for fourth term as Ivory Coast goes to polls

“Peter kindly said to him, ‘Yes sir, you are our leader. So thank you for coming to Rome to honour us even though we are not part of your delegation, but you are our leader.’ So we joked about it and that was it,” Fayemi said.

The encounter ended there, with both parties going their separate ways as Tinubu proceeded to a state-by-state courtesy visit to Pope Leo XIV.

Asked whether it was the first time the two men had shaken hands since the bitterly contested 2023 election, Fayemi was measured.

“I wouldn’t know, but they shook hands there,” he said.

Fayemi and Obi are both devout Catholics and Papal Knights, an honour conferred by the Vatican on distinguished members of the Church.

The two men had attended the inauguration of Pope Francis at the same venue in 2013 as sitting governors. Obi recalled this in a statement on X after the ceremony.

Tinubu, a Muslim, told reporters after the mass that his attendance was in keeping with Nigeria’s unity in diversity.

He told members of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Nigeria, who were part of his delegation, “If we use our diversity not for adversity but for prosperity, the country’s hope is stability and progress.”

The photographs Onanuga shared on X drew reactions from supporters of both men, with some praising the exchange and others raising the 2023 election.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

MISSING GIRL FOUND – KINDLY SHARE

Published

on

Young Girl Found in Agege, Now at Dopemu Police Station

Authorities have confirmed that a young girl was found around Capitol Road in Agege Lagos State.

She is currently in the custody of officers at Dopemu Police Station.

According to police sources, the girl is unable to recall her name, her parents’ names, or provide any contact information. She was not carrying a phone at the time she was found.

The police are appealing to members of the public for assistance in identifying her. Anyone who recognizes the girl or has information about her family is urged to visit Dopemu Police Station or call 09025621914.

Officials emphasize that she is someone’s daughter and sister, and community support is vital in reuniting her with her family.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Oba Ladoja coronation rites begin with prayers
Continue Reading

Trending