Connect with us

News

Hajj: S’Arabia slashes Nigeria’s camp slots to 67,000

Published

on

The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria has raised the alarm over a drastic reduction in camp slots for Nigerian pilgrims by Saudi authorities ahead of the 2026 Hajj exercise, warning that the cut could significantly limit participation next year.

The commission disclosed in a statement on Thursday titled “NAHCON, States Discuss Hajj Costing and Other Critical Issues; Ministry Briefs NAHCON on Tour Operators.”

The statement, signed by NAHCON Deputy Director of Information and Public Relations, Fatima Usara, noted that only 66,910 accommodation slots had been approved on Saudi Arabia’s NUSUK Masar portal, despite Nigeria’s official allocation of 95,000.

According to NAHCON, “the Mashair space reserved for Nigeria’s pilgrims on the NUSUK Masar portal is actually 66,910 slots for the 2026 Hajj. The implication of this is that while 95,000 slots were allocated to Nigeria, the actual number that can participate in the 2026 Hajj is 51,513 for States and all other officials, while 15,397 will go to licensed tour operators.”

The reduction, the commission explained, was imposed as a penalty by Saudi authorities following Nigeria’s underutilisation of its quota during the 2025 pilgrimage.

In February 2025, NAHCON announced that it secured 52,544 slots for state pilgrims, but only 41,218 were airlifted under the government quota. Another 18,000 pilgrims travelled through private tour operators, bringing the total number of participants to 59,128 — leaving 35,872 unutilised slots from the 95,000 made available by Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.

During a meeting between NAHCON and officials of State Pilgrims Welfare Boards on Thursday, the Commissioner of Operations, Prince Anofiu Elegushi, said that allocations for 2026 would be reviewed based on each state’s performance during the previous exercise.

See also  Yuletide: FRSC intensifies patrols, public awareness to curb road crashes

“Earlier allocations will be reversed based on each state’s utilisation during the 2025 Hajj,” Elegushi warned, adding that states that failed to fill their quotas last year would be affected most by the new adjustment.

The Commission also revealed that it held a virtual meeting with officials of the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah, during which it was directed to allocate a minimum of 2,000 slots to each group of tour operators and ensure their registration on the NUSUK platform.

In his remarks, NAHCON Chairman, Professor Abdullahi Usman, urged all stakeholders to work collaboratively to avert a crisis in the buildup to the 2026 pilgrimage.

“Unity in this assignment is crucial if Hajj 2026 must succeed,” Usman said, while appealing to state executive secretaries to take medical screening seriously, due to the importance Saudi Arabia attaches to it.”

Addressing concerns over the rising cost of Hajj caused by foreign exchange volatility, Usman disclosed that efforts were ongoing to negotiate reductions in certain cost components, including cargo handling charges, to ease the financial burden on intending pilgrims.

However, he cautioned that service providers’ rates “will not be arbitrarily reduced,” as such action could compromise the quality of services offered to pilgrims.

A board member representing the Central Bank of Nigeria at NAHCON, Dr Adetona Adedeji, also pledged to engage the CBN on reducing the 2% charge currently imposed on pilgrims’ transactions.

The meeting further resolved that funds should be remitted to the CBN regularly as they are received from the states to benefit from favourable exchange rates.

See also  DSS arrests Malami after release from Kuje prison

NAHCON reminded state officials of the December 21 deadline for remittances, urging them to set earlier internal deadlines to ensure full payments before the cutoff date. It also announced plans for a nationwide sensitisation campaign to highlight the urgency of meeting the deadline.

The Commission confirmed that the 2026 Hajj would adopt international aviation luggage standards, allowing each pilgrim two 23kg checked-in bags and one hand luggage.

It further reiterated Saudi Arabia’s strict medical regulations, warning that individuals suffering from organ failure, neurological or psychiatric disorders, dementia, pregnancy, active cancer under chemotherapy, tuberculosis, or other communicable diseases would not be granted entry into the Kingdom.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Israel To Support Persecuted Christians In Nigeria – Netanyahu

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Yuletide: FRSC intensifies patrols, public awareness to curb road crashes

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Okpebholo directs Edo cabinet members to wear Tinubu-branded outfits
Continue Reading

Trending