Connect with us

News

Niger gov mourns as 35 killed in tanker explosion

Published

on

Governor Mohammed Bago of Niger State has expressed condolences to the families of the victims of a tanker explosion that claimed no fewer than 35 lives and left 17 people hospitalised.

Bago, in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Bologi Ibrahim, on Tuesday evening, described the incident as “worrisome, unfortunate, and pathetic.”

PUNCH Metro learnt that the incident happened at about 2.40 p.m. when the tanker fell on its side in a lone accident.

The Niger State Police Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun, in a statement sent to our correspondent on Tuesday, disclosed that following the accident, some residents had gone to the scene to scoop the spilt petrol.

He noted that while the residents were scooping the spilt content, fire engulfed the tanker.

Abiodun stated, “Today, October 21, 2025, at about 2.40 p.m., a report was received from the DPO of Katcha Division that there was a lone tanker vehicle accident along the Bida/Agaie highway, and as a result, the tanker conveying PMS fell by the roadside.

“Unfortunately, members of the public living around Essa village via Katcha rushed to the scene and were scooping PMS, and in the process, the tanker was suddenly engulfed in an inferno.”

He noted that out of the 48 victims affected by the fire, 31 people lost their lives at the spot of the incident, while 17 others sustained varying degrees of injuries.

“Sadly, forty-eight persons were affected by the fire, and among these victims, thirty-one persons lost their lives, while others are still receiving treatment in various nearby hospitals. Three motorcycles were also burnt.

“Teams of Policemen and other security agencies were moved to the scene for a rescue operation. Further investigation is ongoing to identify the driver and the owner of the said tanker,” Abiodun concluded.

See also  Why Do You Continue To Lie Against Your Motherland? Presidency Calls Out Kemi Badenoch

Reacting, Bago prayed for the repose of the lives of the victims while expressing displeasure towards the act of petrol scooping.

“The farmer governor prays that Allah will repose the souls of those who died in the explosion and grant quick recovery to the injured.

“He says it is disheartening how people have continued to approach a fallen tanker to scoop its contents despite several sensitisation on the danger of such action.

“The farmer governor enjoins the people to value their lives no matter the situation,” Ibrahim stated in part.

The tragedy adds to the growing list of tanker-related explosions across the country.

PUNCH Metro reported in January that no fewer than 70 persons were burnt to death while scooping petrol from a crashed tanker in Niger State.

Similarly, a recent investigation by PUNCH Metro revealed that more than 400 people have died in tanker explosions nationwide over the past year, prompting the Federal Government to launch a national awareness campaign on the dangers of petrol scooping.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Full list of those pardoned by President Tinubu

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  President Bola Ahmed Tinubu Arrives in Brazil | Historic Visit & Warm Reception

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Ohanaeze condemns bill to elevate Ooni of Ife, Sultan of Sokoto
Continue Reading

Trending