Connect with us

News

Acting Awujale, Abiodun’s aide push for Ijebu State

Published

on

The regent head of Ijebu Ode and co-founder of EKO Hospital, Lagos State, Dr Sunny Kuku, and the Special Assistant to Governor Dapo Abiodun on Youth Development, Pastor Okikiola Fayomi, have both urged President Bola Tinubu to help actualise the long-held dream of the creation of Ijebu State.

Kuku, who is also the Ogbeni Oja of Ijebu land and the acting Awujale, alongside Okikiola, who doubles as the National President of the Ijebu Youth Association, made the plea while addressing journalists during the 2025 International Youth Summit, Empowerment, and Award Programme.

The event, with the theme: “Youth empowerment for a new era: Catalysing the great creation of Ijebu State,” was held at Ijebu-Ode.

Represented by Dr Yemi Kuku, the renowned physician said in a statement on Sunday from the media office of the youth organisation, signed by Okikiola, that although the agitation for Ijebu State had spanned several decades, the people remained hopeful that President Tinubu would finally make it a reality.

“We have been promised in the past that we shall get it, but it all ended there. We are, however, hoping that this is our time, and I have no doubt about that.

“There is hope that we shall get it under the leadership of President Bola Tinubu, who has been doing fantastically well with the management of the affairs of our nation.

“We have that assurance that the dream of having Ijebu State will be realised under this present administration by the special grace of God,” he said.

See also  Police arrest Sowore in court

Kuku also urged the youth to serve as catalysts for excellence and to shun any acts that could jeopardize their future.

Similarly, Okikiola said that several leaders, beginning with the late Senator Abraham Adesanya, had fought for the creation of Ijebu State but failed due to disunity between Ijebu and Remo people.

He stressed that the time had come for both groups to speak with one voice to achieve their common goal.

He explained that all Ijebu and Remo youths had been sensitised and now united in their resolve not to miss the opportunity.

“We are appealing to President Bola Tinubu to please help with the creation of Ijebu State, because it remains the only province among 24 provinces created over 100 years ago that is yet to metamorphose into a state.

“So, we are appealing to our hardworking President to help correct this imbalance. It is a dream that we are quite optimistic will be a reality under President Tinubu.

“We are also appealing to the entire National Assembly to please support the bill for Ijebu State creation to come to limelight,” he said.

Okikiola noted that the youth had earlier held a rally around Ijebu-Ode to mobilise support and cooperation from all stakeholders to ensure that the dream finally came to fruition.

The Founder of Eyes Foundation Hospital, Dr Kunle Hassan, represented by Yusuf Adesanya, commended the youth group for championing empowerment and urged them to refrain from social vices.

Highlights of the event included the distribution of empowerment tools to the youth, with a call on them to embrace vocational training and pursue entrepreneurial ventures to create wealth and reduce unemployment.

See also  ‘Lagos Govt Property Demolition Was Not Authorized By Any Court’ – Falana

Recall that former governor and senator representing Ogun East, Gbenga Daniel, recently alleged that some indigenes of the state were collaborating with outsiders to frustrate the agitation for the creation of Ijebu-Remo State out of the present Ogun State.

Daniel, who is sponsoring the bill for the new state in the National Assembly, warned that such internal sabotage could derail years of collective struggle and the dream championed by the late Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona.

“From what I have gathered, each geopolitical zone may not get more than one new state.

“In the South-West, we have competition from our Ibadan brothers, who are also demanding their own state. Our only advantage is that, of all the provinces created in 1923, only the Ijebu Province, which comprises nine local governments, has yet to become a state,” Daniel said.

He expressed concern that “some of our people, perhaps because of temporary benefits, are working with outsiders to sabotage this dream,” adding that, “We are short of calling them bastards.”

Daniel stressed that the proposed Ijebu-Remo State, with its capital in Ijebu land, would correct historical imbalances and accelerate regional development and political representation.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that Nigerians owe no one an apology for seeking assistance from the international community to tackle the country’s persistent insecurity, stressing that lives are being lost daily regardless of religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.

Speaking on Friday night at the ongoing Plateau Unity Christmas Carols and Praise Festival in Jos, Obasanjo urged the Nigerian government to urgently deploy modern technology to curb killings, noting that no criminal should be beyond the reach of security agencies.

In these days of technology, there should be nobody who can hide after committing a crime,” he said.

Before I left government, we had the capacity to pick up anybody in Nigeria once identified… Every Nigerian life matters, whether Christian, Muslim or pagan. Nigerians are being killed; this must stop.
He insisted that Nigerians have the right to seek international partnerships if domestic efforts fall short, arguing that saving lives must remain the nation’s priority.

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, also addressed the gathering, reassuring citizens that Nigeria would overcome its current trials.

By the grace of God, those who want Nigeria destroyed will not succeed,” he declared, praying that national and state leaders continue to receive strength and wisdom to act rightly.

The governor explained that the annual carol event was inspired by the vision of uniting the people of Plateau through worship and thanksgiving.

God is delighted when we come together in unity to exalt His name. Despite all odds, we are gathered again this year to celebrate the goodness of God in the land of the living,” he said.

See also  Trump: Why we reject US threat on Nigeria — China

Mutfwang welcomed dignitaries in attendance, including Obasanjo; General Lawrence Onoja (rtd.); former Plateau Governors Joshua Dariye and Jonah Jang (with his wife, Ngo Talatu); former Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen; former Adamawa State Governor, Boni Haruna; former Chief of Defence Staff, General Martin Luther Agwai (rtd.); and the GOC 3 Division, Major General Folorunsho Oyinlola.

“Expressing delight in the diversity of worshippers, the governor said Plateau citizens had put aside denominational differences to worship under one banner.““With unity, we will shut the door against the enemy that troubles us,” he said.“The event featured ministrations from renowned gospel artistes including Buchi, Uche Etiaba, Pastor Chingtok, and choirs drawn from various denominations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

‘Moles sabotaging military war against banditry’

Published

on

Retired senior military officers have stated that internal compromises, infiltration, and weak enforcement of security laws are sabotaging the country’s war against banditry and terrorism.

The former military personnel said some officers in the armed forces were working against the system.

They spoke amid growing public concern that breaches within the security services may be driving a resurgence of terror attacks across the country in recent months.

On Wednesday, former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Idris Wase, revealed that suspected Boko Haram members and other criminal elements were once found on the recruitment lists of the Nigerian Army and the police.

In Kebbi State, bandits who abducted dozens of schoolgirls struck less than 30 minutes after troops were withdrawn from the school, a development that has prompted public outrage and demands to identify the officer who ordered the withdrawal.

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, former Troop Commander in the Nigerian Army and immediate past Director of ICT at the Army Signals Headquarters, Gen Peter Aro (retd.), said recent revelations showed that infiltration of the security forces had become an inevitable consequence of a weakened system.

“These developments strongly suggest that Nigeria’s security architecture is grappling with internal compromises that can no longer be dismissed as coincidence,” he said.

Aro added that recruitment should be governed by merit, profiling, and deep vetting, lamenting that political godfathers routinely push candidates forward, bypassing security checks and weakening the integrity of the forces.

Aro said the disclosure that Boko Haram suspects appeared on Army and police recruitment lists showed how deeply “Nigeria’s security gateways have been compromised.”

See also  Trump: Why we reject US threat on Nigeria — China

He also criticised the moral contradictions in the country’s handling of public figures, who downplay the crimes of armed groups, warning that such mixed messaging damages national cohesion.

Aro linked operational lapses to possible insider collusion, citing the Kebbi school abduction.

He said, “Nigerians understand timing, and they understand patterns. Such precision is rarely accidental. It raises legitimate questions about whether insiders leaked information or deliberately created a security vacuum.”

The ex-general added that troop withdrawals in conflict zones couldn’t be dismissed as routine mistakes, saying, “In a conflict zone, unexplained troop movement is never a clerical oversight; it is often a marker of internal compromise.”

While noting that moles thrive because the country has failed to treat national security as sacred, Aro said, “The deeper tragedy is that these moles are not appearing by chance; they are the result of a permissive political culture.

“Until Nigeria draws firm moral lines and seals the cracks inside its own institutions, the enemy outside will continue to find willing accomplices within.”

He also faulted the Federal Government’s increasing reliance on negotiations to secure the release of abducted victims.

“These things have become a business in Nigeria. Until we address the internal compromises and strengthen our security institutions, we will keep creating incentives for more abductions,” he added.

Similarly, former commander of the Osun State Amotekun Corps, Brig. Gen. Bashir Adewinbi (retd.), said recent arrests of security operatives collaborating with gunmen confirmed that saboteurs are undermining the country’s internal security efforts.

He said, “In any organisation, there are moles. You can’t rule out the possibility. I read that a Deputy Commissioner of Police was recently arrested along with some bandits when their enclaves were stormed.

See also  World Polio Day: Sokoto, UNICEF renew push to end polio in N’West

“That shows we need to do more in separating the wheat from the chaff in all the security agencies, not only in the military.”

Adewinbi described the trend as dangerous, recalling the 1980s case of armed robber Lawrence Anini, whose operations were aided by a senior police officer.

He added, “In the days of Anini, DSP Yamu was arrested and he confessed that he was the one backing the criminal. Let’s call a spade a spade. It was confirmed, and the man was eventually executed. How are we sure that many like him are still not in the service till today?”

Adewinbi said such internal sabotage was weakening Nigeria’s anti-terror fight.

“We need to face reality and do the needful to make sure we don’t deceive ourselves in this country. People should be held responsible and accountable,” he said.

The former general also faulted the government for failing to enforce laws meant to reform the security system.

He argued that even though there are laws in the country, not all of them are efficiently enforced in a way that can deter criminality.

During the plenary on Wednesday, members of the House of Representatives had faulted the Federal Government for negotiating with bandits to secure the release of 24 students abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

The lawmakers, under the coalition “House to the Rescue,” said the government’s engagement with kidnappers, disclosed by President Bola Tinubu’s aide, Mr Bayo Onanuga, amounted to a betrayal of Nigerians and undermined national security.

Backing the Federal Government’s non-kinetic strategy, Adewinbi said ransom-driven negotiations have turned kidnapping into a lucrative criminal business.

See also  We created water marshals to enforce safety – Ex NIWA MD

“These things would have stopped in Nigeria, but people see it as a way of making money. It is now a business,” he said.

While acknowledging the emotional pressure on families of abducted victims, he insisted that prevention remains the only sustainable solution.

“The only thing is to prevent kidnapping. Once a kidnap occurs, we have no choice but to dance to their tune,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Army elevates 105 to Maj Gen, Brig Gen

Published

on

A total of 105 senior officers of the Nigerian Army have been elevated to the ranks of Major General and Brigadier General, following the approval of the Army Council.

Of the figure, 28 Brigadier Generals were promoted to Major General, while 77 Colonels were elevated to Brigadier General.

Those promoted to Major General, according to a statement on Friday by the service’s spokesperson, Lt. Col. Appolonia Anele, include Brig Gen O. Adegbe of the Defence Intelligence Agency; Brig Gen S.M. Uba, Director of Defence Information; Brig Gen R.E. Hedima, Acting Chief of Military Intelligence (Army); and Brig Gen R.T. Utsaha, Deputy Director of Defence Operations.

Others are Brig Gen A.M. Umar, Commandant of the Warrant Officer Academy; Brig Gen S. Sulaiman, Deputy Military Secretary (Army); Brig Gen I.O. Bassey, Director of the Nigerian Army Operations Centre; and Brig Gen C.A. Ekeator of the Nigerian Army School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

Also promoted are Brig Gen S.Y. Yakasai, Acting Director of Procurement in the Office of the Chief of Army Staff; Brig Gen W.L. Nzidee of the Army Headquarters Department of Logistics; Brig Gen S.A. Emmanuel of the Nigerian Army Signals; Brig Gen S.S. Tilawan, Acting Commander, Sector 3 Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai; Brig Gen M.O. Agi, Desk Officer, Tertiary Education Trust Fund at the Nigerian Defence Academy; and Brig Gen I.M. Abbas, Commander, 34 Brigade. Brig Gen Z.A. Saidu was promoted posthumously.

Those promoted from Colonel to Brigadier General include Col Y. Ibrahim of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Abuja; Col N.N. Gambo of the Army Headquarters Department of Civil-Military Affairs; and Col A. Saidu of the Nigerian Army Finance Corps.

See also  Preacher who falsely predicted the Rapture awkwardly asks viewers to be patient

Others are Col A. Ali of Army Headquarters Garrison; Col I. Waziri of the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff; Col M.M. Sani of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji; Col A.A. Alkali of the Nigerian Army Dog Centre; Col A.O. Ndah of the Army Headquarters Department of Training; Col I.B. Sheriff of Headquarters 9 Brigade; Col K.R. Apata of the Army Headquarters Provost Group; Col M.K. Akpuogwu of Operation Whirl Stroke; and Col P.U. Nnaji of the Nigerian Army Operations Monitoring Support Team.

Additional officers promoted include Col M.T. Nagudu of the Nigerian Army Armour School; Col K.O. Bukoye, Commander, 401 Special Forces Brigade; Col O. Adole of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps; Col J.A. Ikagba of the 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col D.C. Ibeh of the 8 Division Medical Services and Hospital; Col G.S. Chohwore of the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col O.G. Okoye of the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; and Col Y.K. Audu of the Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai.

Anele said the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, congratulated the newly promoted officers and urged them to sustain professionalism and demonstrate effective leadership.

He directed them to inspire their subordinates through personal conduct and pursue innovative approaches to emerging security challenges.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending