Connect with us

News

Court frees 13 inmates unlawfully detained in Taraba, awards N448m damages

Published

on

Thirteen male inmates who had been unlawfully detained for periods ranging from one to six years without trial have regained their freedom.

This is following a landmark judgment of the Federal High Court, Jalingo, delivered on Monday.

The inmates, who expressed overwhelming joy as they stepped out of detention, were released through the intervention of human rights lawyer, Barrister John Okezie, who represented them pro bono.

Okezie, as gathered by our reporter, had filed separate fundamental rights enforcement suits against the Nigeria Police Force, NPF, and the Department of State Services, DSS, challenging their unlawful detention.

Delivering judgment, Justice Maskur Salisu described the prolonged incarceration of the men as a flagrant violation of their constitutional rights.

He ordered their immediate release and awarded a total of N48 million in damages against the security agencies.

“The prolonged detention of citizens without trial is not only unconstitutional but an affront to human dignity,” Justice Salisu declared.

He further warned that law enforcement agencies must operate strictly within the bounds of the law and respect the fundamental rights enshrined in the Constitution of the federal Republic of Nigeria..

The court found that the detainees had been held in various facilities across the state for years without being charged to court.

In each case, Justice Salisu ruled that their rights to liberty and fair hearing had been grossly violated, condemning the actions of the security agencies as “reprehensible and unlawful.”

The judgment was officially enforced on November 3, 2025.

Human rights advocates, who spoke with our reporter, hailed the ruling as a milestone for civil liberties and a strong statement against arbitrary detention in Nigeria.

See also  Insecurity: Nigerians urge swift action amid Trump’s threat

Speaking with journalists, Barrister Okezie said his motivation was to help decongest prisons and ensure that justice is accessible to all, regardless of financial status.

“This was a pro bono effort aimed at ensuring that justice is not reserved for only those who can afford it,” he said.

He urged the freed men to make the most of their second chance and avoid any conduct that could return them to prison.

Some of the released inmates, visibly emotional, expressed profound gratitude to Okezie for his intervention.

“We would still be rotting in jail if not for his help,” one of them said, adding: “we’ve learned our lessons and will live better lives.”

The ruling was observed to have been widely celebrated as a victory for human rights and a powerful reminder of the judiciary’s vital role in safeguarding citizens against abuse of power by law enforcement agencies.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Fubara pledges to continue serving people’s interests in Rivers

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Kano gov backs bill for full LG autonomy

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  FG prioritises infrastructure in N87.31bn aviation budget
Continue Reading

Trending