Connect with us

News

FCT doctors’ strike continues despite partial payment of arrears

Published

on

The Association of Resident Doctors in the Federal Capital Territory Administration (ARD-FCTA) on Wednesday confirmed the partial payment of salary arrears and the Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) by the FCT Administration. Still, it maintained that its indefinite strike would continue until all outstanding demands are met.

In a statement signed by its President, Dr. George Ebong, the association said the payments mark the beginning of the implementation of its demands, though several doctors were still left out of the recent disbursements.

The statement noted that 28 doctors who had been owed salary arrears for periods ranging from one month to one year were paid two nights ago.

The association, however, explained that the Medical Residency Training Fund payment was not made to all affected doctors, leaving 47 others still awaiting their entitlements.

It added that salaries for October were also paid on Tuesday.

The ARD-FCTA is an association of doctors practising in the 14 district and general hospitals, including the Department of Public Health under the FCTA.

The ARD-FCTA began its strike on Saturday following the announcement by its national body, the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, to commence an indefinite and total strike on the same date.

The doctors embarked on the industrial action to press home their demands for better working conditions, improved welfare, fair remuneration, and others.

Giving details of the government’s response to their demands, the doctors said, “Two nights ago, the 28 doctors who had been owed their salary arrears for more than two years, ranging from one month to six months to one year, were paid.

See also  Zamfara Governor - I can end banditry in two months

“Also, the MRTF of some doctors was also paid. Out of 150 doctors owed the MRTF, only 103 were paid; there is a remainder of 47 doctors not yet paid. Salaries were also paid yesterday (Tuesday), starting from the morning.”

While the association expressed gratitude to the Minister of the FCT, Nyesom Wike, for what it described as the beginning of the implementation of demands, it insisted that the indefinite strike would continue until all outstanding issues are resolved.

“Our demands are not exclusive of the immediate payment of the rest 47 doctors of their MRTF as time is running out for their trainings and exams; the immediate payment of the external resident doctors owed six to seven months since they got employed as some have resigned and left due to lack of funds to commute themselves to work; the skipping of arrears that have lingered for years, the promotion arrears that have left lingered for years.

“The Post-Part 2 conversion arrears that have lingered for years; the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure 25-35 per cent adjustment that the Federal Institutions have implemented since; wage award; hazard allowance arrears of 13 months since 2021; the immediate employment; and favourable working conditions, among others.

“These demands are very pertinent to this strike and are also the prerequisite to the suspension of this strike, both at the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors’ level and also at ARD-FCTA.

“While we are grateful for the dialogues that we have been involved in at the National Assembly and the FCTA management, we hope to find a lasting solution to the lamentable situation of our healthcare system,” the statement highlighted.

See also  Lagos announces eight-month traffic diversion on Lekki-Ajah corridor

The doctors urged the government not to always wait for a strike before addressing workers’ grievances.

“Finally, the management and the government should not always wait for a strike to occur before scampering to listen to our yearnings.

“Our sincere appreciation once more to the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, for his leadership and commitment to our country as we continue to work together to ensure that we continue our commitment to the welfare of our patients, while we, as health professionals, are not neglected again.

“However, the indefinite strike continues until other of our demands are met,” it added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Bloody ballot: Inside deadly battles for SUG leadership in varsities

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Another fuel tanker explosion hits Jigawa

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  New year crash: Over speeding driver kills 6, injures two on Lagos-Ibadan expressway (PHOTOS)
Continue Reading

Trending