Connect with us

Crime

My father left behind 20 houses, 30 children – Abba Kyari

Published

on

Suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, on Wednesday told the Federal High Court in Abuja that several properties linked to him by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency belonged to his late father and were jointly owned by his 30 siblings.

Kyari, who opened his defence before Justice James Omotosho, said his late father left behind more than 20 houses in Maiduguri, Borno State.

He added that some of the properties were sold to fund his father’s medical bills before his death.

He maintained that he could not have declared the properties in his assets form since he had not received his portion.

Under cross-examination by NDLEA counsel, Sunday Joseph, Kyari said,

“My Lord, I cannot put my interest about the property in the form because the 20 houses belong to my father and not me. If I get my percentage of share, I can put it, but until when I get my own percentage. All the properties left behind by my father belong to all his children and we are about 30 in number.”

Kyari is facing 23 counts filed against hum by the NDLEA, which alleged that he and two co-defendants, Mohammed Kyari and Ali Kyari, failed to fully declare their assets, disguised ownership of properties and converted funds contrary to the law.

The charges, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/408/2022, allegedly contravene Section 35(3)(a) of the NDLEA Act and Section 15(3)(a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011. The prosecution has so far called 10 witnesses and tendered 20 exhibits before closing its case.

See also  PHOTOS: Three Nigerian women arrested as police bust drug manufacturing and distribution network in India

The defendants had filed a no-case submission, but the court dismissed it on October 28, ruling that a prima facie case had been established.

Justice Omotosho noted that the ruling did not imply guilt but allowed the defendants to enter their defence, stressing that they remain presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

Meanwhile, Kyari argued that the NDLEA failed to prove ownership of the properties tied to him, citing Section 128 of the Evidence Act, which he said requires certified true copies of title documents to prove transactions over state lands.

“About four of the properties were sold then,” he noted.

Kyari, who holds a BSc in Geography and joined the Nigeria Police Force on May 1, 2000, said he was conversant with the asset-declaration process.

Asked whether he declared his interest in the inherited properties, he responded that he could not since the assets were collectively owned.

“I cannot include my father’s properties in my asset-declaration form because they belong to the entire family, not me. If I get my percentage share, I can declare it, but not before then,” he said.

He added that proceeds from some sales were distributed among relatives in need.

Kyari also admitted that he initially declined to complete the asset-declaration form when invited by NDLEA operatives, insisting that his lawyers must be present.

“Yes, I said I would not make a statement until my lawyers were around,” he said, adding that one officer informed him that refusal to fill the form was a criminal offence.

Kyari further testified that the millions of naira traced to his bank accounts came from operational funds released by the police and some governors for security operations.

See also  NSCDC arrests six suspected ritualists for exhuming two-day-old corpse in Gombe

He said that as former Commander of the Anti-Robbery Squad and later head of the Intelligence Response Team, he supervised over 1,000 operations, with funds often routed through his account for disbursement.

When asked why funds channelled through the Central Bank of Nigeria were sent to his relatives, Kyari said the money was used to repay loans he obtained from them to fund urgent operations due to bureaucratic delays in official releases.

Justice Omotosho noted that whether family properties should be declared would be addressed in the parties’ final written addresses.

The NDLEA tendered several bank documents, which Kyari confirmed bore his name. The prosecution then sought an adjournment to obtain additional documents for further cross-examination.

Justice Omotosho adjourned the matter until November 12 for continuation of the hearing.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

EFCC to grill Malami as probe may open Buhari-era asset recovery deals to fresh scrutiny

Published

on

Former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), says he has been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), a move that could reopen long-standing questions around asset recoveries, seized-asset disposals and contract approvals handled during the Buhari administration.

Malami revealed this in a statement he personally signed and shared on Facebook, reaffirming his readiness to honour the invitation. He maintained that his public service record has always been shaped by accountability and transparency.

“This is to confirm that I have been invited by the EFCC. As a law-abiding and patriotic citizen, I hereby reaffirm my commitment to honour the invitation,” Malami wrote.

He stressed that the ideals of openness and responsible governance have guided his conduct over the years. “I understand the spirit of accountability and transparency in public service, the principles that I both advocate and champion,” the ex-Justice Minister stated.

Malami explained that he had already informed his family and friends of the development, noting that the EFCC had asked him to clarify certain issues, and he was prepared to do so.

“I am informing my family and friends that EFCC has invited me to clarify on some issues, and as a citizen of law and order and patriot, I am willing to honor this invitation without any hesitation,” he declared.

He also emphasised that honesty and integrity had always shaped his approach to leadership during his years in government.

“I believe in the importance of honesty, integrity and honesty in leadership, these are principles I’ve long supported and uphold, over the years I’ve spent in public service,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: NDLEA Detain Drug Kingpin, Others Over Arrest Of Three Nigerians In Saudi Arabia

Malami added that he would keep Nigerians informed as events unfold, saying transparency remains important in matters of public interest.

“On this note, I am informing Nigerians of any development that will follow, so that everyone will be aware,” he added.

As of the time of filing this report, Malami had not yet arrived at the EFCC headquarters. Officials of the Commission say they only intend to obtain “certain information” from him.

However, Saturday Vanguard learnt that the invitation may be linked to several controversial decisions taken during his tenure. These include high-profile asset recoveries, the sale or disposal of seized vessels and oil, and contract approvals that had earlier drawn public scrutiny.

According to sources, some of these actions raised concerns about the transparency and management of recovered national assets.

The EFCC has yet to release details on the full scope of its inquiry.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

37 Katsina kidnap victims regain freedom after negotiations with bandits -Lawmaker

Published

on

Bandits have released 37 villagers abducted from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State after weeks of negotiations that led to a peace agreement, a lawmaker, Abdulraham Kandarawa, has said.

Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the state House of Assembly, said on Friday that the latest release brought the number of freed villagers to 82.

He had earlier disclosed that 45 captives were freed under the same peace arrangement.

Speaking to journalists in Katsina, Kandarawa said the villagers, held in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, were released without ransom following sustained negotiations with the bandits.

“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.

The released hostages include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.

Kandarawa emphasised that the bandits had promised to release the captives if the community maintained peace, a commitment they fulfilled.

“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” Kandarawa appealed, highlighting the negotiation’s foundation on promises of non-violence.

The lawmaker thanked the bandits for adhering to their word, stressing that no ransom was paid.

“This is what they promised, and they fulfilled it today,” he said.

However, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda has earlier denied negotiations with bandits while on several fora said it was purely a community initiative while he applauded the initiative as well celebrated the return of peace to the state through the truce.

Continue Reading

Crime

50 Nigerians arrested in India drug busts

Published

on

No fewer than 50 Nigerians have been arrested in one of India’s largest coordinated crackdowns on a transnational narcotics network. They are believed to be linked to a sprawling drug-distribution and hawala laundering syndicate spread across several major cities in India.

According to a report on Thursday by NDTV, an Indian news agency, the operation was led by the Delhi Police in collaboration with the Telangana Police’s EAGLE unit.

It was reported that months of intelligence gathering culminated in days of simultaneous raids across Delhi, leading officers to dismantle key layers of a cartel moving methamphetamine and cocaine across India.

According to the report, investigations revealed that the cartel maintained an extensive customer base using encrypted communication and delivery methods modelled after food-delivery apps to execute drug “dead drops” and avoid face-to-face exchanges.

“The network was extremely sophisticated. They used layered communication channels and app-based delivery patterns to evade law-enforcement detection,” the report stated.

Officials also disclosed that the syndicate’s distribution chain was intertwined with a sex-trade ring, which provided both cover and logistics for drug circulation.

The report reads, “Investigators have identified approximately 2,000 individuals who were supplied drugs through courier and dead-drop methods.”

“Furthermore, the authorities uncovered that the sex trade was used as a cover for drug supply and distribution, extending the criminal reach of the cartel.”

The report further stated, “The operation, which involved months of intelligence gathering, culminated with the arrest of 50 Nigerian nationals in Delhi. This massive effort was executed in close collaboration with the Telangana Police’s Elite Action Group for Drug Law Enforcement, along with police teams from Noida, Vizag, and Gwalior.”

See also  Police arrest robbery, drugs suspects in Niger raids

On the financial side, authorities said the cartel routed its proceeds through hawala operators. The illicit profits were converted into goods, including garments and human hair, which were exported to Lagos, Nigeria, disguising the drug earnings as legitimate trade.

“The proceeds from drug sales were funnelled through local hawala operators who converted the Indian Rupees into goods such as garments and human hair, shipped to Lagos, Nigeria, effectively cleaning the illicit earnings.”

“One identified kingpin is suspected to have laundered at least ₹15 crore through these hawala channels alone,” the report added.

The report, however, noted that the recent arrest of the 50 Nigerian nationals marked a pivotal moment in multi-agency efforts to root out these persistent drug cartels.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported multiple arrests of Nigerians in India over synthetic-drug trafficking, including seizures in Bengaluru, Delhi and Goa, where foreign nationals were linked to methamphetamine circuits.

The latest coordinated crackdown, which resulted in the arrest of 50 suspects of Nigerian nationality, is now regarded by Indian police as a major step toward disrupting what they described as an “entrenched and continually evolving” narcotics supply chain.

Police officials said the next phase of the investigation will focus on tightening immigration checks, tracking hawala facilitators, and identifying remaining cartel commanders believed to be operating from outside India.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending