Connect with us

News

Truck crushes Lagos tricyclist to death, injures two

Published

on

A tricyclist has died after a truck crashed into three vehicles at the Ekoro Junction along the Abule-Egba/Command Road in Lagos on Wednesday.

PUNCH Metro gathered from an eyewitness identified simply as Abiodun that the crash occurred in the early hours of the day.

According to him, the trailer lost control and rammed into a tricycle and two other vehicles.

He said the impact of the collision crushed the tricyclist’s head and left two other drivers injured.

Abiodun said, “A ghastly accident occurred this morning, and it was a terrible sight. A trailer lost its brakes and rammed into a tricycle and two other vehicles at Ekoro Junction.

“The trailer crushed the tricyclist’s head, while about three others were severely injured. It was the police and LASTMA officers who came to evacuate the body and rescue the injured.”

Similarly, a police officer privy to the incident but not authorised to speak publicly told our correspondent that the injured persons were the drivers of the two other vehicles hit by the trailer.

The officer added that the tricyclist died instantly due to the impact of the collision.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, Adebayo Taofiq, said the crash resulted from brake failure.

According to Taofiq, the vehicles involved were a six-tyre trailer with registration number AGL 514 XD, a Honda Pilot (FST 992 DV), a Toyota Camry (EKY 753 JA), and an unregistered tricycle.

He stated, “Preliminary investigations by security operatives revealed that the accident was triggered by a mechanical brake failure in the fully loaded trailer, whose driver consequently lost control of the vehicle.

See also  Nigeria, US Strike Targeted Terrorists, Not Religion — Presidency

“The trailer, in its uncontrollable descent, crushed the tricycle beyond recognition before colliding with a Honda Pilot, vaulting over the median, and smashing into a Toyota Camry and nearby property on the opposite lane.

“Operatives of LASTMA arrived at the scene promptly, rescuing two severely trapped victims after confirming the instantaneous death of the tricycle operator. The scene was cordoned off to prevent secondary incidents and allow for emergency operations.”

Taofiq added that the crash caused temporary gridlock, which was later eased through diversion efforts by LASTMA officers.

Reacting to the incident, the General Manager of LASTMA, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed grief, describing the crash as tragic and preventable.

According to the statement, Bakare-Oki stated that the incident could have been avoided if there had been stricter adherence to speed limits.

“Mr. Bakare-Oki extends his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family of the deceased tricycle operator and prays for the swift recovery of the injured victims.

“He further admonishes all motorists, particularly operators of articulated and heavy-duty vehicles, to exercise utmost caution, ensure frequent mechanical inspections, and observe all safety protocols, stressing that reckless driving and mechanical negligence remain leading causes of preventable road tragedies in Lagos State,” Taofiq concluded.

Also commenting on the incident, the Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, disclosed that the truck was conveying beverages and bottled water when it fell on the tricycle that was parked by the roadside.

He noted that the tricyclist lost his life while two occupants of the two vehicles sustained injuries.

See also  Ex-envoy urges Tinubu to tackle insecurity

“Upon arrival of LRT at the incident scene, a Volkswagen truck registration number AGL 514 XD, laden with beverages and bottled water was found to have fallen on a tricycle AKA Keke NAPEP, at the above-mentioned location.

“Preliminary investigations conducted at the scene of the incident revealed that the truck suddenly suffered a mechanical error (brake failure) while descending the road, and all efforts by the driver to stop the truck proved abortive.

“Unfortunately, an adult male, driver of the tricycle, lost his life to the incident when the truck crashed into the parked tricycle and two other cars with unknown registration numbers,’ Oke-Osanyintolu stated.

Recurring incidents of trailer and truck crushing road users to death across different parts of the country have been on the rise in recent times.

PUNCH Metro reported on Monday that a cement truck crushed a minor to death while causing injuries to three others along the Ilaro-Ibese Expressway in Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State.

Similarly, PUNCH Metro reported on October 4 that five people lost their lives after a truck crushed a tricycle at the Alapoka axis of the Papalanto–Ilaro Road, Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Ibrahim Bello, Emir of Gusau, dies at 71

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  I don’t bear grudges against people, Jonathan preaches forgiveness

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Boko Haram members found on army, police recruitment lists – Wase
Continue Reading

Trending