Connect with us

News

Truck crushes Lagos tricyclist to death, injures two

Published

on

A tricyclist has died after a truck crashed into three vehicles at the Ekoro Junction along the Abule-Egba/Command Road in Lagos on Wednesday.

PUNCH Metro gathered from an eyewitness identified simply as Abiodun that the crash occurred in the early hours of the day.

According to him, the trailer lost control and rammed into a tricycle and two other vehicles.

He said the impact of the collision crushed the tricyclist’s head and left two other drivers injured.

Abiodun said, “A ghastly accident occurred this morning, and it was a terrible sight. A trailer lost its brakes and rammed into a tricycle and two other vehicles at Ekoro Junction.

“The trailer crushed the tricyclist’s head, while about three others were severely injured. It was the police and LASTMA officers who came to evacuate the body and rescue the injured.”

Similarly, a police officer privy to the incident but not authorised to speak publicly told our correspondent that the injured persons were the drivers of the two other vehicles hit by the trailer.

The officer added that the tricyclist died instantly due to the impact of the collision.

Confirming the incident in a statement on Wednesday, the spokesperson for the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, Adebayo Taofiq, said the crash resulted from brake failure.

According to Taofiq, the vehicles involved were a six-tyre trailer with registration number AGL 514 XD, a Honda Pilot (FST 992 DV), a Toyota Camry (EKY 753 JA), and an unregistered tricycle.

He stated, “Preliminary investigations by security operatives revealed that the accident was triggered by a mechanical brake failure in the fully loaded trailer, whose driver consequently lost control of the vehicle.

See also  El-Rufai sues ICPC ₦1bn over unlawful Abuja home invasion

“The trailer, in its uncontrollable descent, crushed the tricycle beyond recognition before colliding with a Honda Pilot, vaulting over the median, and smashing into a Toyota Camry and nearby property on the opposite lane.

“Operatives of LASTMA arrived at the scene promptly, rescuing two severely trapped victims after confirming the instantaneous death of the tricycle operator. The scene was cordoned off to prevent secondary incidents and allow for emergency operations.”

Taofiq added that the crash caused temporary gridlock, which was later eased through diversion efforts by LASTMA officers.

Reacting to the incident, the General Manager of LASTMA, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed grief, describing the crash as tragic and preventable.

According to the statement, Bakare-Oki stated that the incident could have been avoided if there had been stricter adherence to speed limits.

“Mr. Bakare-Oki extends his heartfelt condolences to the bereaved family of the deceased tricycle operator and prays for the swift recovery of the injured victims.

“He further admonishes all motorists, particularly operators of articulated and heavy-duty vehicles, to exercise utmost caution, ensure frequent mechanical inspections, and observe all safety protocols, stressing that reckless driving and mechanical negligence remain leading causes of preventable road tragedies in Lagos State,” Taofiq concluded.

Also commenting on the incident, the Permanent Secretary of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, disclosed that the truck was conveying beverages and bottled water when it fell on the tricycle that was parked by the roadside.

He noted that the tricyclist lost his life while two occupants of the two vehicles sustained injuries.

See also  Nollywood actor, Solomon Akiyesi, d!es in his sleep

“Upon arrival of LRT at the incident scene, a Volkswagen truck registration number AGL 514 XD, laden with beverages and bottled water was found to have fallen on a tricycle AKA Keke NAPEP, at the above-mentioned location.

“Preliminary investigations conducted at the scene of the incident revealed that the truck suddenly suffered a mechanical error (brake failure) while descending the road, and all efforts by the driver to stop the truck proved abortive.

“Unfortunately, an adult male, driver of the tricycle, lost his life to the incident when the truck crashed into the parked tricycle and two other cars with unknown registration numbers,’ Oke-Osanyintolu stated.

Recurring incidents of trailer and truck crushing road users to death across different parts of the country have been on the rise in recent times.

PUNCH Metro reported on Monday that a cement truck crushed a minor to death while causing injuries to three others along the Ilaro-Ibese Expressway in Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State.

Similarly, PUNCH Metro reported on October 4 that five people lost their lives after a truck crushed a tricycle at the Alapoka axis of the Papalanto–Ilaro Road, Yewa South Local Government Area of Ogun State.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  El-Rufai sues ICPC ₦1bn over unlawful Abuja home invasion

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Lawyer petitions Chief of Air Staff over personnel’s invasion of disputed Abuja property
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Again, fire guts another Kano market

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending