Connect with us

News

Gumi Speaks On Call To Arrest Him Over His Statements On Banditry

Published

on

Popular Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmad Gumi, has fired back at critics calling for his arrest over his long-standing engagement with bandits, describing them as “spineless, irresponsible and unpatriotic imbecilic people.”

It was reports that Gumi, who shared a statement on Facebook on Sunday, has for years positioned himself as a mediator between the government and armed bandit groups. This role has drawn both praise and condemnation from Nigerians.

His critics accuse him of shielding terrorists by urging government dialogue rather than a military crackdown.

The cleric insisted he has broken no law and said the loudest voices demanding his arrest are motivated by bigotry and ignorance.

He wrote, “ARREST HIM!!! These are the only words some spineless, irresponsible and unpatriotic imbecilic people can utter.”

According to him, these individuals prefer outrage to reasoned debate, choosing to politicise his peace initiatives rather than address Nigeria’s worsening insecurity.

Gumi recalled one of his major interventions in January 2021 in the Sabon Garin Yadi forest, Giwa Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

He said the mission was conducted with the full knowledge and approval of security agencies.

“I was at Sabon Garin Yadi forest, accompanied by the Kaduna State Commissioner of Police… This meeting was part of a peace initiative where we preached to over 600 bandits and their commanders, who agreed to lay down their arms in exchange for security and basic amenities,” he said.

He added that the negotiation was legitimate, transparent and aimed at de-escalating violence.

The cleric said the agreement collapsed after government authorities failed to honour the conditions presented by the armed groups, including access to basic amenities, assurances of safety and protection from arbitrary arrests.

See also  Six die, seven children rescued in Jigawa canoe crash

He argued that instead of holding officials accountable for the breakdown of the peace process, some Nigerians have targeted him unfairly.

Gumi said, “The outcome was that over 600 bandits agreed to lay down their arms. They presented conditions… None fulfilled.”

He questioned why efforts aimed at persuading bandits to surrender their weapons should provoke the kind of public anger now directed at him.

He asked, “So, what is there to arrest for? For calling them to lay arms or amenities for them, or to educate the nation on their side of the story?”

He further argued that the calls for his arrest amount to intolerance and disregard for free expression.

Gumi stated, “Is free speech no longer part of our constitutional right? Is their call for arrest not also prejudiced and an incitement to more violence?”

Gumi urged Nigerians to rise above emotional reactions and support practical, long-term solutions to insecurity.

He warned that silencing voices advocating dialogue will not address the deep-rooted socioeconomic and security failures driving banditry across the country.

The cleric concluded with a prayer for unity, saying, “May Allah protect our nation from bigotry, stubborn and complete intolerance of contrary views and opinions.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  62 kidnapped victims escape as air force strikes bandit camp in Katsina

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Retirement Benefits: Service Chiefs To Go Home With Bulletproof SUVs, Prado Jeeps, $60,000 For Medicals (PHOTOS)

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Benin Republic Govt Provides Fresh Update On Attempted Coup, Says Plotters On Run, Some Arrested
Continue Reading

Trending