Connect with us

News

Aiyedatiwa resolves Ondo Assembly crisis, presents N492.8bn budget

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Mr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa, on Monday presented a N492.8bn appropriation bill to the state House of Assembly for the 2026 fiscal year.

The budget presentation comes as the governor resolved the lingering crisis in the 26-man Assembly, where 12 lawmakers were pushing to impeach the Speaker, Olamide Oladiji.

Tagged the “Budget of Economic Consolidation,” the proposal allocates N167.5bn  for recurrent expenditure and N281.9bn for capital projects.

Presenting the budget to the 26-member Assembly, Aiyedatiwa said the 2026 plan builds on the 2025 budget, marking a shift from recovery to sustained consolidation of economic gains.

He stated, “The 2025 budget, christened the Budget of Recovery, focused on stabilising critical sectors, restoring essential services, and reviving public confidence after a period of fiscal strain.

Having laid this solid foundation and achieved measurable gains—particularly in infrastructure rehabilitation, service delivery, and public financial management—the state is now positioned to deepen these achievements by strengthening revenue structures, accelerating growth-driven investments, and institutionalising reforms.

“The title of the 2026 Budget of Economic Consolidation is aptly justified as the natural progression from previous years’ activities. It reflects a deliberate shift from mere restoration to sustained consolidation of economic gains, ensuring that the progress recorded in 2025 matures into long-term prosperity, resilience, and inclusive development for the people of Ondo State.”

The governor thanked stakeholders for their contributions during the 2026 budget consultative meetings, noting that their inputs “greatly enriched this budget and enhanced its impact.”

He expressed hope that the Assembly would give the budget “careful consideration” and reaffirmed the executive’s commitment to its timely and effective implementation, adding that 2026 is expected to bring “significant progress, prosperity, and well-being” to citizens.

See also  Natasha resumes at Senate, calls Akpabio dictator

In his remarks, the Speaker of the House, Mr. Olamide Oladiji, promised that the budget would undergo thorough scrutiny.

“This 2026 budget is aimed at consolidating the 2025 budget and improving the standard of living of our people. It is a blueprint for the better future of Ondo State,” he said.

The PUNCH had earlier reported tensions within the House, with 12 of the 26 members allegedly staying away from proceedings amid disagreements, despite all being from the ruling All Progressives Congress.

The  Speaker, Oladiji, however, disclosed on Monday that the matter had been amicably resolved following Governor Aiyedatiwa’s intervention.

He said, “My distinguished colleagues, I thank you all for your unflinching support and cooperation at all times. Your willingness and ability to resolve disagreements amicably, especially the recent crisis, is a testament to our commitment to the progress of our state.

“I appreciate your trust and confidence in my leadership. As we are living in a cohabitant world, we are bound to disagree and agree. In all that happened, I know it was for the betterment of our dear state. The interest of the state is always paramount.

“May I use this opportunity to appreciate the governor, His Excellency Dr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa Aifor, his quick intervention and fatherly efforts in resolving the crisis. Mr. Governor, sir, I am grateful for your positive disposition towards saving the situation and returning lasting peace to this honorable House.”

The PUNCH reported that one of the lawmakers leading the revolt, Mr Olajide Oguntolu, representing Akure South Constituency 1, had accused Oladiji of misappropriation of funds and withholding financial records from members.

See also  48-hour curfew imposed after attack on bar in Plateau, Jos

“There is gross misappropriation of funds in that Assembly,” Oguntolu alleged. “This Speaker thinks he is running a kindergarten Assembly. All we are asking for is transparency and accountability. We have all signed the impeachment notice.”

However, Speaker Oladiji faulted the impeachment attempt, insisting the dissenting lawmakers were acting out of personal grievances and were attempting to hold the House hostage over demands they made to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.

“We have a Standing Order guiding our activities,” he said. “These honourable members who claim to have passed a vote of no confidence have not been coming to the House for legislative duties. Many of them are outside the country. They said they have certain demands from His Excellency, but we cannot tie legislative work—particularly the supplementary budget—to personal requests.”

On the allegation of misappropriation, the Speaker maintained that he neither handles nor accesses Assembly funds directly.

“We have an accounting officer in the House. I only give approvals; I do not handle money. Their accusations are tied to their demands, not to any misconduct,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Court orders interim takeover of Timipre Sylva’s nine properties

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Changing service chiefs won’t end insecurity in Nigeria – Getso
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Oil output slumps as Nigeria, Libya, Venezuela drag OPEC+ targets

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending