Connect with us

News

FG receives Benin bronzes repatriated from US

Published

on

The Ministry of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy on Monday received two Benin bronzes, a bronze relief plaque and a commemorative head, from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, marking a significant milestone in Nigeria’s ongoing efforts to reclaim its cultural heritage.

The artifacts, looted during the 1897 British invasion of the Benin Kingdom, were repatriated from the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, United States.

The Minister of Arts, Culture, Tourism and Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa, thanked Foreign Affairs Minister Yusuf Tuggar for facilitating the return.

She described the moment as historic, saying, “This is a historic moment for Nigeria, the ministry, and the good people of the Benin Kingdom. We are still in conversation with several other institutions that hold these artifacts, and soon the process of returning them all to their rightful owners will begin.”

The Director-General of the National Commission for Museums and Monuments, Olugbile Holloway, also expressed gratitude to all facilitators, including NCMM staff and His Royal Highness Prince Aghatise Erediauwa, who led the struggle to recover the pieces.

He noted, “What we are witnessing today is the return of a huge part of Nigeria’s history. While this occasion is symbolic to Benin, it is also symbolic to Nigeria’s broader restitution struggle. We also have objects from Ife, so this event is historic, irrespective of the small gathering.”

The symbolic handover took place in the presence of three high chiefs representing the Oba of Benin, His Royal Majesty Omo N’Oba N’edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba Ewuare, according to a statement by the Special Adviser to the Minister of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy, Nneka Anibeze.

See also  Out-of-school children, fertile ground for B’Haram recruitment – Obasanjo

According to the Arts Newspapers in the United States, the MFA, Boston returned the stolen artifacts in a ceremony at the Nigeria House in New York in June 2025.

“I am pleased to deliver these two works of art to Prince Aghatise Erediuwa on behalf of His Royal Majesty Oba Ewuare II,” Matthew Teitelbaum, the MFA’s director, Matthew Teitelbaum, was quoted to have said in a statement by the newspaper.

“As custodians of these exceptional objects for the past 12 years, it is deeply gratifying to see them returned to their rightful owner,” he added.

The Benin bronzes—a collection of over 2,000 brass and bronze plaques and sculptures—were seized by British forces in 1897 and dispersed to museums worldwide.

In recent years, Nigeria has intensified diplomatic efforts to secure their return, entering agreements with institutions in the United States, United Kingdom, and Europe.

This latest repatriation follows a 2023 Memorandum of Understanding between Nigeria and the United States, aimed at returning looted artifacts and strengthening cultural cooperation.

The handover underscores Nigeria’s renewed push under President Bola Tinubu’s “Renewed Hope” agenda to restore cultural heritage and promote national identity.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Any police officer escorting VIP is on illegal duty and will be arrested- Force Spokesman

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Iran security chief vows continued support for Lebanon

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Defence headquarters warns former soldiers against protests
Continue Reading

Trending