Connect with us

Crime

Heavy ransom: Bandits demand N3bn to free Eruku churchgoers

Published

on

The bandits who abducted worshippers from the Christ Apostolic Church, Oke-Igan, Eruku, in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, have reportedly demanded N100m ransom per victim.

According to the pastor in charge of the church, Lawrence Bamidele, between 30 and 35 worshippers were abducted in the Tuesday evening violent attack during the church’s service.

Multiple family sources and community leaders confirmed to The PUNCH on Thursday that the kidnappers had commenced contacting relatives of the victims, using the phones of the abductees.

The Secretary of the CAC assembly, Elder Josiah Agbabiaka, told The PUNCH that some families had already been reached by the abductors.

“It is true that the bandits have started contacting family members using the victims’ phones to demand ransom,” Agbabiaka said.

“From what we were told, they grouped the victims. The first group of 11 people has been asked to pay N100m each.”
Also confirming the development, the Olori Eta of Eruku, Chief Olusegun Olukotun, whose four family members were among those abducted, said the kidnappers were reaching out systematically.

“Some people in the community have received calls from the kidnappers demanding N100m for each person. They said the victims were grouped, and they are calling each group’s relatives,” he told The PUNCH.

Olukotun, who narrated that he was inside the church with five members of his family during the attack, said he managed to escape through a window while others were taken away.

Meanwhile, the traditional ruler of the town, Owa of Eruku, Oba Busari Olarewaju, has appealed for urgent government intervention to ensure the safe rescue of the victims.

The monarch commended the swift deployment of military personnel to the community following the visit of the state governor, but stressed that more needed to be done.

See also  FBI places $10,000 bounty on Nigerian wanted for bank fraud

“Last night, soldiers entered our community minutes after the governor visited. Their presence gave us some assurance that the government is responding,” the monarch said.

“But we are still appealing that efforts should be intensified to rescue our people as quickly as possible.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Kwara State Command, SP Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, said the command had not received any official report of ransom demand.

“We are not aware of any demand for ransom or contact made to the family members of the victims,” she said when contacted on Thursday.

“Our tactical teams, alongside the military and other security agencies, are on ground and making concerted efforts to rescue the abducted victims.”

Ejire-Adeyemi added that the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, had urged community members and relatives of the abducted persons to provide timely information that could aid the operation.

“The CP assures residents that the police will continue to do everything possible to secure lives and property in Kwara State,” she added.

The attack on the Eruku church is the latest in a series of violent incidents that have rattled communities across Kwara State in recent months.

The recent incidents have heightened fears over the growing reach of banditry in Kwara, a state historically considered one of the safer in the North-Central region.

CAN condemns attack

On Thursday, the Christian Association of Nigeria condemned the Kwara church attack, describing it as “a heartbreaking reminder of the growing insecurity facing Christian communities across the country.”

In a statement on Thursday, CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, expressed “sadness over the violent attack on Christ Apostolic Church in Eruku, where worshippers were killed and several others abducted during a prayer service.”

See also  Mob burns woman alive over alleged blasphemy in Niger

“We stand in solidarity with the families who lost loved ones, with those injured, with the abducted, and with the entire Eruku community. Their pain is our collective pain,” Okoh said.

He urged security agencies to act swiftly to rescue the abducted worshippers, insisting that a transparent investigation is needed to uncover how the attack occurred, identify security lapses and bring the perpetrators to justice.

According to Okoh, the incident “adds to a pattern of repeated assaults on Christian populations in vulnerable regions,” noting that CAN has repeatedly warned the government and the international community about rising attacks, despite official attempts to downplay fears of targeted violence.

“We will continue to monitor developments closely and engage with authorities to ensure that victims of the Eruku attack receive justice and that Christian communities across Nigeria are better protected,” he added.

Residents, council chair clash

Residents, youths, vigilante members and some security operatives, on Thursday, openly traded words the Chairman of Eruku LGA, Awelewa Olawale Gabriel, over alleged negligence and weak support for local security operations.

Community members accused the chairman of abandoning the troubled area despite months of recurring abductions and attacks.

A youth leader, Shola Peters, alleged that the chairman “does not pick calls — not from residents, not from the monarch, not when we need to give security updates.”

“Since he was sworn in, he stays only in Osi,” Peters alleged. “He hardly visits other parts of the LGA despite all the kidnappings.”

Another resident, Funmi Anifowose, said dwindling support from the council had weakened the local vigilante network that once kept the community safe.

“Our vigilantes used to keep the town secure, but now they don’t have ammunition,” she said. “I’m a farmer, but I can’t go to my farm for fear of being kidnapped. The chairman we voted for is not accessible; he doesn’t even stay at the secretariat.”

See also  Fake customs officer arraigned after scamming victims N34m

Vigilante members and a security operative attached to a special squad in the area echoed similar concerns, accusing the council of ignoring repeated requests for operational support.

“Patrolling from Osi to Eruku is about 120 kilometres. They give us just 25 litres of fuel,” one operative said, adding that initial promises made to the team had not been fulfilled.

But responding on behalf of the council chairman, the Speaker of Ekiti LGA Legislative Assembly, Fatoyinbo Micheal, dismissed all claims as “a farce, untrue, and an attempt to malign the council chairman.”

According to him, the chairman acted promptly the moment the attack was reported.

“Immediately, the councillor representing the area called me, I informed the chief security officer of the council, and we mobilised vigilante members. They came to Eruku that Tuesday night,” he said.

Michael explained that the vehicle used to convey an injured victim to the Omu-Aran General Hospital belonged to the vigilante outfit, noting that the chairman had scheduled a follow-up visit the next day before learning that the Commissioner of Police and the DSS Director were also heading to the town.

He itemised several interventions by the council, including the refurbishment of a grounded police Hilux for N3.6m, the purchase of a Bajaj motorcycle for the DPO, the supply of pump-action rifles and ammunition, and the recent handover of two packs of cartridges to the Chief Akogun of Eruku.

“Anyone saying the chairman is doing nothing is either uninformed or playing politics,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

EFCC to grill Malami as probe may open Buhari-era asset recovery deals to fresh scrutiny

Published

on

Former Minister of Justice and Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), says he has been invited by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), a move that could reopen long-standing questions around asset recoveries, seized-asset disposals and contract approvals handled during the Buhari administration.

Malami revealed this in a statement he personally signed and shared on Facebook, reaffirming his readiness to honour the invitation. He maintained that his public service record has always been shaped by accountability and transparency.

“This is to confirm that I have been invited by the EFCC. As a law-abiding and patriotic citizen, I hereby reaffirm my commitment to honour the invitation,” Malami wrote.

He stressed that the ideals of openness and responsible governance have guided his conduct over the years. “I understand the spirit of accountability and transparency in public service, the principles that I both advocate and champion,” the ex-Justice Minister stated.

Malami explained that he had already informed his family and friends of the development, noting that the EFCC had asked him to clarify certain issues, and he was prepared to do so.

“I am informing my family and friends that EFCC has invited me to clarify on some issues, and as a citizen of law and order and patriot, I am willing to honor this invitation without any hesitation,” he declared.

He also emphasised that honesty and integrity had always shaped his approach to leadership during his years in government.

“I believe in the importance of honesty, integrity and honesty in leadership, these are principles I’ve long supported and uphold, over the years I’ve spent in public service,” he said.

See also  Mob burns woman alive over alleged blasphemy in Niger

Malami added that he would keep Nigerians informed as events unfold, saying transparency remains important in matters of public interest.

“On this note, I am informing Nigerians of any development that will follow, so that everyone will be aware,” he added.

As of the time of filing this report, Malami had not yet arrived at the EFCC headquarters. Officials of the Commission say they only intend to obtain “certain information” from him.

However, Saturday Vanguard learnt that the invitation may be linked to several controversial decisions taken during his tenure. These include high-profile asset recoveries, the sale or disposal of seized vessels and oil, and contract approvals that had earlier drawn public scrutiny.

According to sources, some of these actions raised concerns about the transparency and management of recovered national assets.

The EFCC has yet to release details on the full scope of its inquiry.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

37 Katsina kidnap victims regain freedom after negotiations with bandits -Lawmaker

Published

on

Bandits have released 37 villagers abducted from Bakori Local Government Area of Katsina State after weeks of negotiations that led to a peace agreement, a lawmaker, Abdulraham Kandarawa, has said.

Kandarawa, who represents Bakori Constituency in the state House of Assembly, said on Friday that the latest release brought the number of freed villagers to 82.

He had earlier disclosed that 45 captives were freed under the same peace arrangement.

Speaking to journalists in Katsina, Kandarawa said the villagers, held in Sabe Local Government Area of Zamfara State, were released without ransom following sustained negotiations with the bandits.

“Today, through the grace of God, we have finally received our people who were held captive. Insha Allah, they are back, and none is left in their hands,” he said.

The released hostages include 17 women, two infants, and 18 men.

Kandarawa emphasised that the bandits had promised to release the captives if the community maintained peace, a commitment they fulfilled.

“We want to call on all citizens to embrace peace. It is everybody’s business. If we have offended anyone, we will amend, just to live in peace,” Kandarawa appealed, highlighting the negotiation’s foundation on promises of non-violence.

The lawmaker thanked the bandits for adhering to their word, stressing that no ransom was paid.

“This is what they promised, and they fulfilled it today,” he said.

However, Katsina State Governor, Dikko Radda has earlier denied negotiations with bandits while on several fora said it was purely a community initiative while he applauded the initiative as well celebrated the return of peace to the state through the truce.

Continue Reading

Crime

50 Nigerians arrested in India drug busts

Published

on

No fewer than 50 Nigerians have been arrested in one of India’s largest coordinated crackdowns on a transnational narcotics network. They are believed to be linked to a sprawling drug-distribution and hawala laundering syndicate spread across several major cities in India.

According to a report on Thursday by NDTV, an Indian news agency, the operation was led by the Delhi Police in collaboration with the Telangana Police’s EAGLE unit.

It was reported that months of intelligence gathering culminated in days of simultaneous raids across Delhi, leading officers to dismantle key layers of a cartel moving methamphetamine and cocaine across India.

According to the report, investigations revealed that the cartel maintained an extensive customer base using encrypted communication and delivery methods modelled after food-delivery apps to execute drug “dead drops” and avoid face-to-face exchanges.

“The network was extremely sophisticated. They used layered communication channels and app-based delivery patterns to evade law-enforcement detection,” the report stated.

Officials also disclosed that the syndicate’s distribution chain was intertwined with a sex-trade ring, which provided both cover and logistics for drug circulation.

The report reads, “Investigators have identified approximately 2,000 individuals who were supplied drugs through courier and dead-drop methods.”

“Furthermore, the authorities uncovered that the sex trade was used as a cover for drug supply and distribution, extending the criminal reach of the cartel.”

The report further stated, “The operation, which involved months of intelligence gathering, culminated with the arrest of 50 Nigerian nationals in Delhi. This massive effort was executed in close collaboration with the Telangana Police’s Elite Action Group for Drug Law Enforcement, along with police teams from Noida, Vizag, and Gwalior.”

See also  20 trafficked Ghanaians found in Akwa Ibom

On the financial side, authorities said the cartel routed its proceeds through hawala operators. The illicit profits were converted into goods, including garments and human hair, which were exported to Lagos, Nigeria, disguising the drug earnings as legitimate trade.

“The proceeds from drug sales were funnelled through local hawala operators who converted the Indian Rupees into goods such as garments and human hair, shipped to Lagos, Nigeria, effectively cleaning the illicit earnings.”

“One identified kingpin is suspected to have laundered at least ₹15 crore through these hawala channels alone,” the report added.

The report, however, noted that the recent arrest of the 50 Nigerian nationals marked a pivotal moment in multi-agency efforts to root out these persistent drug cartels.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported multiple arrests of Nigerians in India over synthetic-drug trafficking, including seizures in Bengaluru, Delhi and Goa, where foreign nationals were linked to methamphetamine circuits.

The latest coordinated crackdown, which resulted in the arrest of 50 suspects of Nigerian nationality, is now regarded by Indian police as a major step toward disrupting what they described as an “entrenched and continually evolving” narcotics supply chain.

Police officials said the next phase of the investigation will focus on tightening immigration checks, tracking hawala facilitators, and identifying remaining cartel commanders believed to be operating from outside India.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending