Connect with us

News

MSF strengthens diphtheria intervention amid surge in suspected cases  

Published

on

The Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders, said it has been scaling up its diphtheria emergency response in collaboration with several state Ministries of Health since August, due to a growing increase in diphtheria cases in Borno, Kano, and Bauchi.

This was disclosed in a press statement issued by MSF on Friday and made available to our correspondent.

It stated that hundreds of suspected cases identified and reported by Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DNSOs) over the last three months have strained health facilities, exposing critical gaps in treatment capacity and vaccine coverage.

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, diphtheria is a serious bacterial infection that affects the nose, throat, and sometimes the skin of an individual. It is caused by the bacterium Corynebacterium species, mainly by toxin-producing Corynebacterium diphtheriae and rarely by toxin-producing strains of C. ulcerans and C. pseudotuberculosis.

The public health institute said diphtheria manifests as laryngitis, pharyngitis, or tonsillitis, and is associated with the presence of an adherent membrane covering the tonsils, pharynx, and/or nose. Beyond the respiratory symptoms, approximately a quarter of cases may develop heart problems (myocarditis). The mainstay of Diphtheria treatment is antibiotics and Diphtheria Antitoxin (DAT).

The latest data by NCDC as of May 3, 2025, revealed that Nigeria recorded a total of 43,743 suspected diphtheria cases from 37 states across 360 Local Government Areas, between May 2022 and May 2025.

“Without treatment, it can kill half of the people infected, underscoring the urgent need for early medical intervention,” said MSF Medical Coordinator Dr Halarou Assoumana.

See also  Stranded hikers rescued near Mount Everest

“Even with access to care, the disease remains dangerous, and it is still fatal in five per cent of patients. These figures highlight the critical importance of timely diagnosis, availability of antitoxin, and robust vaccination coverage to prevent severe outcomes and reduce mortality.”

The statement noted that MSF has identified several challenges affecting the response, including low routine vaccination coverage, limited access to lifesaving DAT, and chronic shortages of health staff.

It added that improved routine surveillance and data collection could also play a key role in mitigating the spread.

“In Bauchi State, MSF-supported activities at the Diphtheria Treatment Centre (DTC) in Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH) were 295 admissions between August 21 and November 9, 2025. The large number of patients has prompted the opening of a treatment centre at a specialist hospital.

“In Kano State, MSF teams began supporting an intervention of suspected cases beginning in October. (MSF previously responded to a previous outbreak in the state from January 2023 until April 2024.)

“By the first week of November 2025, more than 2,300 patients suffering from diphtheria had been hospitalised in Kano, with the highest surge—over 400 admissions—recorded between 6 October and 2 November 2025.

“Due to the high number of people coming to the DTC at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Kano, the MSF team is prioritising the severe cases and referring cases that require specialised treatment to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano,” it explained.

The MSF’s Emergency Project Medical Referent, Dr Jerome Ntarima, said most of the patients coming for treatment arrive late with complications.

See also  PHOTOS: Four children d!e, others injured as vehicle plunges into stream in Benue

“And the stories we are getting from these patients are that there are several mortalities from the communities they are coming from already,” he noted.

“And in Borno State, MSF teams continue to do routine sensitisation, community-based surveillance, risk communication, and referrals. Between early July and late October 2025, they managed 2,553 patients with suspected cases: 1,651 patients were seen through home-based care, and 902 were admitted to the isolation wards in the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) in collaboration with the state MOH.

“Diphtheria continues to be a recurring disease in Nigeria,” MSF further said.

MSF, however, called for urgent action from national authorities, partners, and donors to increase and sustain vaccination coverage and ensure reliable access to DAT, antibiotics, and essential supplies.

“Strengthening routine surveillance and data systems, as well as investing in the health workforce by recruiting, training, and retaining staff, are also key to curbing the spread and preventing future infections,” it added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Natasha sympathises with Anthony Joshua, demands highway reforms

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Lagos begins demolition of illegal buildings at trade fair complex
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Nigeria’s Worst Days Are Over, Tinubu’s Reforms Yielding Results – Gbenga Daniel

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Natasha sympathises with Anthony Joshua, demands highway reforms

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending