Connect with us

News

MSF strengthens diphtheria intervention amid surge in suspected cases  

Published

on

The Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders, said it has been scaling up its diphtheria emergency response in collaboration with several state Ministries of Health since August, due to a growing increase in diphtheria cases in Borno, Kano, and Bauchi.

This was disclosed in a press statement issued by MSF on Friday and made available to our correspondent.

It stated that hundreds of suspected cases identified and reported by Disease Surveillance and Notification Officers (DNSOs) over the last three months have strained health facilities, exposing critical gaps in treatment capacity and vaccine coverage.

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, diphtheria is a serious bacterial infection that affects the nose, throat, and sometimes the skin of an individual. It is caused by the bacterium Corynebacterium species, mainly by toxin-producing Corynebacterium diphtheriae and rarely by toxin-producing strains of C. ulcerans and C. pseudotuberculosis.

The public health institute said diphtheria manifests as laryngitis, pharyngitis, or tonsillitis, and is associated with the presence of an adherent membrane covering the tonsils, pharynx, and/or nose. Beyond the respiratory symptoms, approximately a quarter of cases may develop heart problems (myocarditis). The mainstay of Diphtheria treatment is antibiotics and Diphtheria Antitoxin (DAT).

The latest data by NCDC as of May 3, 2025, revealed that Nigeria recorded a total of 43,743 suspected diphtheria cases from 37 states across 360 Local Government Areas, between May 2022 and May 2025.

“Without treatment, it can kill half of the people infected, underscoring the urgent need for early medical intervention,” said MSF Medical Coordinator Dr Halarou Assoumana.

See also  Ondo labour accuses teaching hospital of union victimisation

“Even with access to care, the disease remains dangerous, and it is still fatal in five per cent of patients. These figures highlight the critical importance of timely diagnosis, availability of antitoxin, and robust vaccination coverage to prevent severe outcomes and reduce mortality.”

The statement noted that MSF has identified several challenges affecting the response, including low routine vaccination coverage, limited access to lifesaving DAT, and chronic shortages of health staff.

It added that improved routine surveillance and data collection could also play a key role in mitigating the spread.

“In Bauchi State, MSF-supported activities at the Diphtheria Treatment Centre (DTC) in Abubakar Tafawa-Balewa University Teaching Hospital (ATBUTH) were 295 admissions between August 21 and November 9, 2025. The large number of patients has prompted the opening of a treatment centre at a specialist hospital.

“In Kano State, MSF teams began supporting an intervention of suspected cases beginning in October. (MSF previously responded to a previous outbreak in the state from January 2023 until April 2024.)

“By the first week of November 2025, more than 2,300 patients suffering from diphtheria had been hospitalised in Kano, with the highest surge—over 400 admissions—recorded between 6 October and 2 November 2025.

“Due to the high number of people coming to the DTC at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Kano, the MSF team is prioritising the severe cases and referring cases that require specialised treatment to Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano,” it explained.

The MSF’s Emergency Project Medical Referent, Dr Jerome Ntarima, said most of the patients coming for treatment arrive late with complications.

See also  Court sustains arrest warrant against ex-minister Sadiya Farouq

“And the stories we are getting from these patients are that there are several mortalities from the communities they are coming from already,” he noted.

“And in Borno State, MSF teams continue to do routine sensitisation, community-based surveillance, risk communication, and referrals. Between early July and late October 2025, they managed 2,553 patients with suspected cases: 1,651 patients were seen through home-based care, and 902 were admitted to the isolation wards in the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) in collaboration with the state MOH.

“Diphtheria continues to be a recurring disease in Nigeria,” MSF further said.

MSF, however, called for urgent action from national authorities, partners, and donors to increase and sustain vaccination coverage and ensure reliable access to DAT, antibiotics, and essential supplies.

“Strengthening routine surveillance and data systems, as well as investing in the health workforce by recruiting, training, and retaining staff, are also key to curbing the spread and preventing future infections,” it added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  See the real story behind failed police communications system

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  SERAP demands NNPCL’s explanation on alleged missing N22.3bn, $49.7m, others
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Customs seek legislative overhaul of waivers, Customs Act provisions

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending