Connect with us

News

Ogun CJ deploys magistrates to clear 201 cases, decongest prisons

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Ogun State, Justice Mosunmola Dipeolu, has deployed a special magistrates’ panel to preside over 201 cases in a 14-day accelerated hearing as part of the state judiciary’s intervention week.

The intervention week has been scheduled to carry out a comprehensive decongestion exercise at the Sagamu Correctional Centre between Monday, November 24, 2025, and Friday, December 5, 2025.

This was contained in a statement by the Chief Registrar, High Court of Ogun State, Olakulehin Oke, on Thursday.

Oke disclosed that eight magistrates will preside over 201 cases drawn from Magistrates’ Courts at Sagamu, Mowe, Ojodu Abiodun and Isara Magisterial Districts.

According to the statement, the intervention week will focus on accelerated hearings, review of eligible cases, and consideration of matters suitable for non-custodial measures in accordance with relevant laws.

“This initiative forms part of the Honourable Chief Judge of Ogun State, Hon. Justice M. A. Dipeolu, FICMC, FHNR continued efforts to enhance the administration of criminal justice, promote human rights, and ensure the efficient management of custodial facilities across the State,” Oke said in the statement.

The Chief Registrar said all the cases will be heard within the Sagamu Magisterial District over the two-week period, adding that the list of affected cases had been disseminated across the concerned Magisterial Districts.

“The exercise will be undertaken by the designated magistrates in collaboration with the Nigerian Correctional Service, the Nigeria Police, the Nigerian Bar Association, security agencies, and other critical partners in the justice sector.

“All procedures will strictly adhere to legal standards and safeguard the rights of all persons concerned, most especially those in custody,” he said.

See also  Iran hit US oil tanker in Gulf – Report

He assured the public that the Judiciary Intervention Week is “aimed at strengthening justice delivery, reducing unnecessary delays, and addressing congestion challenges without compromising public safety or legal due process.”

He added, “The Ogun State Judiciary appreciates the cooperation of all stakeholders and encourages the public to support this important justice-sector initiative.”

In September, Justice Dipeolu said that more than 8,000 defendants have been granted bail and released under the Ogun Bondsmen Scheme since its inception five years ago.

She noted that the scheme has played a pivotal role in curbing congestion in the state’s correctional facilities, while cleansing a bail system long plagued by corruption and inefficiency.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  16 escape death in Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway crash

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  You are one of the shining stars in my cabinet – Tinubu celebrates Wike on birthday
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Pipeline vandals deploy CCTV, advanced tactics to evade arrest – Expert

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending