Connect with us

News

LASU professor reveals how to stabilize governance in Nigeria

Published

on

Professor of International Relations and Strategic Studies at Lagos State University, Adewunmi Falode, has called for a review of Nigeria’s constitution to allow a single, non-renewable term of seven years for elected public office holders.

Falode made the call on Tuesday while delivering LASU’s 115th inaugural lecture titled, “Bespoke Solutions: Reimagining, Reifying and Realigning the Wheels of the Nigerian State,” at the Buba Marwa Auditorium of the university.

His call aligned with those of Governor Seyi Makinde, former Governor Peter Obi, economist Pat Utomi, ex-President of the Nigerian Bar Association Wole Olanipekun (SAN), and ex-Deputy President of the Senate Ike Ekweremadu, who have advocated for a single term of between five and six years.

The scholar argued that Nigeria’s current two-term, four-year arrangement is “wasteful” and contributes to an “unstable, combustible and misaligned” political environment.

According to him, the system had consistently failed to deliver the dividends of democracy because elected officials barely enjoyed five months of undistracted governance before becoming entangled in post-election litigation and preparations for another election cycle.

Falode drew parallels with countries such as Mexico and the Philippines, which operate a single six-year term.

With a seven-year single tenure, he said, Nigerian political office holders would have at least four years of stable governance, while the remaining three years could accommodate campaigns and the resolution of election petitions.

He described Nigeria’s democracy as “elitist, exclusionary and divisive,” noting the huge sums budgeted for elections, aside from expenditure on post-election litigations.

He said, “Democracy has always been expensive in Nigeria. That of the 1983 federal elections frittered away N2bn, and at the end of the day, the military derailed the whole process! In 1999, Nigeria budgeted N1.5bn; N42bn for 2011; N108.8bn in 2015; and N242.2bn in 2022. The monies for post-election litigations and other incidentals are not factored into this.

“The shocking thing was that at the end of such elections, where humongous money had been expended, with countless lives lost and businesses destroyed, it would still take the intervention of the judiciary for the wheel of democracy to be realigned and readjusted”

See also  No Going Back, New Tax Laws Will Commence On January 1, 2026 – Tinubu

According to him, the current cycle leaves office holders with two years spent fending off petitions, about five months for effective governance, and the rest of the term preparing for re-election.

“This has been the unhappy circle of every federal election in Nigeria since 1960.

“Nigeria will have to tweak its constitution to allow for a single term of seven years. A variant of this is what is obtainable in Israel, the Philippines, Singapore, Armenia, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, Burundi, Ethiopia, Egypt and Liberia. Those of Liberia, Egypt and Burundi are instructive. They also had nearly identical colonial baggage as Nigeria, but went ahead to domesticate or customise their democracy.”

Falode argued that Nigeria could not continue to borrow wholesale from the United States, insisting that the country lacked the resources to sustain the same model.

“The two four-year term limit is wasteful and makes the country’s political development unstable, volatile, combustible and misaligned,” he said.

“Nigeria should make it a single six- or seven-year term: I have already removed two years to resolve post-elections petitions, four stable years for governance, and the remaining one year to campaign for the next election cycle,” he said.

The professor also canvassed for what he described as “competitive federalism,” urging Nigeria to domesticate its federal structure to correct long-standing fractures in the nation’s governance system.

Citing former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s inclusion of the Federal Character Principle in the 1979 Constitution as an example of innovation, Falode said the country needed similar creativity to strengthen its federal structure.

He said, “Nigeria must customise or domesticate its federalism if it hopes to correct the obvious fractures in the nation’s seams. And what form will this take? I call this competitive federalism. This means a weak or decentralised centre with strong states.”

He stressed that his proposal was not regionalism, adding, “I am against anything that will fracture Nigeria into different parts or that champions the idea that states should be developed in silos and independently with minimal interactions with other units in the federation.

See also  Insurgency: FG, US company plan delivery of 12 attack helicopters

“States in the country should be allowed to co-exist, but based on clearly spelt-out and agreed terms. Historically, the different constitutional conferences and constituent assemblies had done the job of creating a White Paper of those things that can promote unity, peace and equitable development among the disparate groups in Nigeria.

“What is needed is the political will to implement those decisions. The Nigerian Constitution is the best wheel to correct all the punctures, wear and tear Nigeria is experiencing.”

Falode applauded President Bola Tinubu for steps toward fiscal federalism through the 2025 Tax Reforms Bill, which he said would “promote equitable and competitive distribution of revenue and allow states to think outside the box on revenue generation, deepen taxation and have funds for construction, maintenance and rehabilitation of public facilities.”

On persistent ethnic and religious agitations, Falode recommended education as a central tool for national integration and political development.

He argued that compulsory education up to secondary level would create enlightened citizens resistant to extremist ideologies.

“I consider education to be the most important wheel,” he said. “Education is key to national integration and political development. I specifically picked China because it has a large Muslim minority – the Uyghurs – unknown to most people. Yet, we hardly ever hear of religious extremism or large-scale terrorist attacks in the country. Education made this possible.”

According to him, China’s deployment of a unified national language and tailored education model has fostered literacy, national identity and economic competitiveness.

Nigeria, he said, must adopt a similar approach.

“It is not just education but tailored or domesticated education. This is the way to go for Nigeria to realign its economy, reduce unemployment, promote unity and peace and spur development.

“Nigeria must make universal primary and secondary education free. Sending children to school must be made compulsory up to the secondary level. This will allow the state to shape the students into responsible citizens who will contribute to the development of the state. “Importantly, it will be difficult for religious and ethnic extremism to flourish in a society that has deployed adequate resources to combat ignorance through quality education,” he said.

See also  Naira, stocks drop after Trump’s military threat

Falode traced the disruption of Nigeria’s social harmony and political development to British colonialism and the indirect rule system.

He noted that despite various attempts since independence, the nation continued to grapple with governance challenges, ethnic and religious tensions, minority rights issues, political instability and uneven economic growth.

He argued that Nigeria might have made substantial progress had it continued on the path laid by its nationalists, who opted for federalism, regionalism, parliamentarianism, multiparty politics and a written constitution.

“At the point of independence, the state was confronted with multiple challenges: governance, ethnic and religious tensions, minority rights, political participation, and economic development,” he said.

“With three dominant ethnic groups: the Hausa/Fulani (North), Yoruba (West), and Igbo (East), alongside over 250 other minorities such as the Ijaw, Nupe, and Tiv, Nigerian nationalists opted for federalism, regionalism, parliamentarianism, a multi-party political system and a written constitution as mechanisms to steer the country toward economic growth, political stability and democratic development.

“In hindsight, this arrangement would have provided the perfect framework for realigning the already faltering tyres of the state. Federalism, in particular, is well-suited to multi-ethnic societies like Nigeria.”

“Had Nigeria’s post-independence leaders adhered to the principles of federalism, adjusting and refining the system to meet local realities, the malalignments and maladjustments that later derailed the country’s journey toward democratic stability might well have been avoided,” he argued.

Among dignitaries at the lecture were the Olota of Ota, Oba Abdulkabir Obalanlege; LASU Vice-Chancellor, Prof Ibiyemi Olatunji-Bello, represented by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academics), Prof Taiwo Afisi; LASU Registrar, Emmanuel Fanu; and the Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of PUNCH Newspapers, Mr Joseph Adeyeye.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  APC, opposition list expectations for next INEC chair ahead of 2027

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Insurgency: FG, US company plan delivery of 12 attack helicopters
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  UPDATED: ECOWAS declares state of emergency in West Africa

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Guinea-Bissau’s Prime Minister Collapses, Hospitalised

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending