Connect with us

News

Nigeria fails to learn from repeated school kidnappings – Human Rights group

Published

on

Human Rights Watch has berated the federal and state governments for consistently failing to learn from past school kidnappings, leaving students and teachers vulnerable to repeated abductions.

The group, therefore, called on the government to act urgently to secure the safe release of those recently kidnapped and to implement concrete measures to protect schools and communities from further attacks.

Recall that the 2014 Chibok schoolgirls’ abduction in Borno State by Boko Haram sparked global outrage, as did the December 2020 kidnapping of more than 300 boys from a boarding school in Kankara, Katsina State.

HRW, in research led by Anietie Ewang, lamented that the repeated kidnappings highlighted a worrying pattern of negligence.

“Nigerian authorities have failed to apply lessons from previous attacks to create early warning systems and other measures that could prevent these atrocities.

“The deepening crisis underscores the government’s failure to protect vulnerable communities,” the statement said.

Nigeria has in recent years been plagued by violent attacks and kidnappings by criminal gangs colloquially called ‘bandits.’

On November 18, 2025, 25 schoolgirls were abducted by unidentified armed men from the Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School in Maga, Kebbi State.

Three days later, on November 21, 303 students and 12 teachers were kidnapped at St. Mary’s Catholic Primary and Secondary School in Papiri, Niger State. Fifty of the Niger students have been freed thus far.

HRW described it as worrisome that no group had claimed responsibility for the recent attacks.

The group also highlighted the distress of parents of two of the girls abducted in Kebbi State.

See also  UNICEF, Bauchi govt match N600m to fight malnutrition

Isa Nazifi, whose 13-year-old daughter Khadija Nazifi, a junior secondary school student, was taken, said: “I immediately took a motorbike and rushed to the school, where I found my second daughter, also a student at the school. She told me Khadija had been taken. We are extremely worried. My wife is in tears. I will stay here at the school until my daughter returns. If I go home without her, what will I tell my family?”

Another parent, Sani Zimri, whose daughter, Salima Zimri, a senior secondary school student, was also abducted, added that they had heard rumours of a possible attack by bandits the week before.

“We developed confidence after seeing military operatives doing surveillance in the area, only to realise that there were no security operatives on the premises for the entire three hours that the incident occurred,” he said.

In response to the recent kidnappings, the government has promised to rescue the students and hold those responsible accountable.

President Bola Tinubu directed security agencies to act swiftly to bring the children back while urging local communities to share intelligence.

Authorities have also closed 47 federal secondary schools, known as Federal Unity Colleges, while some states, including Katsina, Taraba, and Niger, have restricted school activities, particularly in boarding institutions.

While these measures are intended to protect students, HRW lamented that the closures have disrupted learning for thousands, denying children access to education and the social and psychological support schools provide.

“Without concrete alternatives for learning, students risk falling behind academically and facing long-term setbacks,” the statement said.

See also  Science minister Nnaji resigns over alleged certificate forgery

“Nigeria is a signatory to the Safe Schools Declaration, committing the government to take steps to protect education during conflict and insecurity. Yet, kidnappings continue at a relentless pace.”

On November 19, the Nigerian Senate ordered a full-scale investigation into the implementation of the Safe School Fund, questioning why money earmarked for protecting schools has failed to prevent recurring attacks.

“The government must urgently advance legislation to implement the Safe Schools Declaration,” HRW said.

“Children in Nigeria have the right to go to school without fearing for their lives. Nigerian authorities should prioritise the safe release of the kidnapped children and their teachers and bring those responsible for their abduction to justice.”

HRW recalled that in 2016, Boko Haram abducted over 300 children from the Zanna Mobarti Primary School in Damasak, Borno State.

In December 2020, more than 300 boys were kidnapped from a boarding school in Kankara, Katsina state.

In early 2021, students were taken in major incidents in Kagara, Niger State, and Jangebe, Zamfara State, followed by the abduction of over 100 students from Bethel Baptist High School in Kaduna State.

The spate continued in 2024, with students abducted from Kuriga, Kaduna State, and Gidan Bakuso, Sokoto State.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  EFCC Denies Violating Rights Of Atiku’s Son-In-law

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Science minister Nnaji resigns over alleged certificate forgery

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  EFCC Denies Violating Rights Of Atiku’s Son-In-law
Continue Reading

Trending