Connect with us

News

Nigeria condemns G’Bissau coup, Jonathan evacuated by special flight

Published

on

Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is safe and has left Guinea-Bissau following a military coup that toppled the country’s government, the Federal Government confirmed on Thursday.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, told journalists in Abuja, “Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is very safe and out of Guinea-Bissau. He left with a special flight with members of his delegation, including Mohamed Chambas.”

Jonathan had been in Guinea-Bissau leading the West African Elders Forum Election Observation Mission during last Sunday’s presidential and legislative elections when the military announced it had seized power.

Earlier, the House of Representatives urged President Bola Tinubu’s government to take urgent diplomatic action to ensure Jonathan’s safety.

Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Kalu, highlighted the matter during plenary, describing it as an “important emergency.”

House Leader, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere, briefed lawmakers, noting Jonathan’s extensive experience as an election observer in countries including Zimbabwe, Liberia, Ghana, Mozambique, Pakistan, Tanzania, and South Africa.

He said, “Currently, he is trapped in Guinea-Bissau because of the coup. From my own investigations, the government is aware and they are doing everything possible to get him back as quickly and safely as possible. Our goal is to urge the government not to relent in that effort to use all diplomatic means to get a former president, a true democrat, back to Nigeria immediately.”

Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, also supported the call, describing Jonathan as “one of the best civilian presidents” Nigeria has produced.

He added, “The importance we attach to his life should also be attached to the life of every other Nigerian, whether a former president or not, whether at home or abroad.

See also  Why Nigerian Govt pardoned Ibom Air passenger – Falana

That said, I fully support that the government should do everything possible to ensure that former President Jonathan returns home safely.”

Following the discussion, the House unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Federal Government to activate all necessary diplomatic channels for Jonathan’s immediate evacuation.

On Wednesday, military officers in Guinea-Bissau declared they had seized “total control” of the country, arresting incumbent President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, suspending the electoral process, and shutting the country’s borders.

The military cited “national instability,” “electoral irregularities,” and the need to restore order.

Heavy gunfire was reported near the presidential palace, soldiers blocked major access routes, and a curfew was imposed.

The National Electoral Commission reported being attacked by unidentified armed men.

The coup came just before the official release of results from the 23 November presidential election, after both leading candidates had claimed victory.

The military also arrested opposition leader Domingos Simões Pereira, barred from the election by the Supreme Court, as well as several senior military and government officials, including the chief of staff and the minister of the interior.

The Federal Government condemned the coup in strong terms, describing it as a serious threat to democracy and regional stability.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated, “The Federal Government condemns this act of military insurrection, which undermines the democratic progress, constitutional order, and stability not only of Guinea-Bissau but of the entire West African sub-region. This represents a blatant violation of the fundamental principles of the Economic Community of West African States Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, which explicitly rejects any ascension to power through unconstitutional means.”

See also  Trump says he 'will not allow' Netanyahu to annex West Bank

Nigeria expressed solidarity with the people of Guinea-Bissau, calling for the “immediate and unconditional restoration of constitutional order, the safety and security of all those detained and the full respect for the sanctity of democratic institutions in Guinea-Bissau.”

Jonathan, together with former Mozambique President Filipe Nyusi, and Issifu Kamara, head of the ECOWAS Election Observation Mission, condemned the military’s actions in a joint statement, describing the coup as “a direct attempt to disrupt Guinea-Bissau’s democratic process.”

They appealed for calm among residents and reaffirmed their commitment to supporting Guinea-Bissau “during this sensitive period,” stressing “the importance of preserving peace, stability, and the well-being of the Bissau-Guinean people.”

On Thursday, the military appointed General Horta N’Tam, the army’s chief of staff, to lead the country for one year. N’Tam, who has served close to President Embaló, said at a press conference, “I have just been sworn in to lead the High Command. These actions are necessary to block operations that aimed to threaten our democracy. Evidence was sufficient to justify the operation, and necessary measures are urgent and important and require everyone’s participation.”

Guinea-Bissau, one of the world’s poorest nations and a major hub for drug trafficking between Latin America and Europe, has faced repeated political instability, with four successful coups and several attempted takeovers since independence in 1974.

The 2025 polls were conducted amid heightened tension, with over 6,700 security personnel, including ECOWAS Stabilisation Force members, deployed to maintain order.

The international community reacted with concern. UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “following the situation with deep concern,” while Portugal urged restraint and discouraged any acts of institutional or civic violence.

See also  Sack of service chiefs has sent mixed feelings to North – HRC Director, Adamu

Reporters Without Borders warned that the suspension of media operations amounted to “a serious violation of the right to information. The population must be able to be informed about what is happening in the country, especially in this context of political crisis.”

ECOWAS and the African Union condemned the coup, reaffirming their strict zero-tolerance policy for unconstitutional changes of government.

Nigeria reaffirmed its commitment to working with regional and international partners to restore stability.

Ebienfa said, “Nigeria, as a key member of ECOWAS and the African Union, will work closely with our regional and international partners to take all necessary measures to ensure the swift return to normalcy and constitutional governance in Guinea-Bissau. We reaffirm our unwavering commitment to the promotion of democracy, peace, and stability across the African continent.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Trump says he 'will not allow' Netanyahu to annex West Bank

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu brokers peace as Fubara, Wike exit Villa together

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Trump says he 'will not allow' Netanyahu to annex West Bank
Continue Reading

Trending