Connect with us

News

Stakeholders advocate local manufacturing of HIV medications

Published

on

Stakeholders on Thursday urged local ownership of HIV programmes, reducing dependence on foreign donors, and advocated for local manufacturing of HIV medications and supplies to ensure sustainability.

They emphasised the need for Nigeria to take control of its HIV response at a media engagement organised by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation ahead of the 2025 World AIDS Day commemoration in Abuja.

World AIDS Day, observed annually on December 1, raises awareness about HIV/AIDS, promotes global solidarity, and reviews progress in combating the epidemic.

The President, Network of People Living With HIV/AIDS in Nigeria, Abdulkadir Ibrahim, said, “It is high time for us to concentrate and take ownership. This is the time now to take ownership and ensure that our health system leaves no one behind, including people living with HIV.

“Even if funding assistance from these foreign donors declines, by the year 2030, we are not saying HIV is over, but the discussion around HIV may not be as huge as it used to be. For how long would we continue to be associated or dependent on a programme that is being dictated?”

Ibrahim highlighted the challenges posed by the recent reduction in international funding.

“Earlier this year, the U.S. government’s new policy shift drastically reduced funding for health interventions.

“Even though HIV interventions were given a waiver, some pieces hit us hard, especially on the prevention side,” he noted.

Despite these funding challenges, he stressed that progress must be sustained.

“What is important is for the country to ensure that all the achievements that we have recorded, all the gains that have been achieved, are sustained.

See also  Science minister Nnaji resigns over alleged certificate forgery

“HIV should not be treated as a standalone disease; it will help us to reduce the level of stigma, and that is people living with HIV are supposed to be recognised as recipients of care like every other person, and go to the hospital like every other person,” he said.

On treatment and care, Ibrahim emphasised the importance of retention and innovative treatment approaches.

“Even now that we are in a modern technology space, we are also advocating to have injectables for treatment, not only for prevention. It reduces a lot of tensions.

“Retention is very critical; we must continue to provide adherence support services, the psychosocial support they need, to those who are lost to follow-up, and those who miss their appointments. We must make sure that they are brought back and retained in care,” he said.

Ibrahim emphasised that the government cannot succeed alone and that community actors, including women, youth, and religious groups, must be empowered to drive faith-led responses while urging nationwide action because everyone is affected directly or indirectly.

The Senior Manager, Prevention Programme at AHF, Taofeek Adeleye, advocated for stronger media involvement in HIV prevention, consistent public education, and correct information to counter misinformation and keep HIV awareness alive.

He stressed that prevention messaging must be constant, just like religious reminders, and that the media must play a major role in educating the public.

“We need the media to keep providing this kind of information to the general public. If you can prevent one person from being infected with HIV, you are actually saving a whole lot of costs on treatment.

See also  Nnamdi Kanu: At last, IPOB cancels sit-at-home in South-East

“HIV prevention is also at the forefront, because if we prevent it, it means the number of people who are treated with HIV will also reduce. We need the media to be passing out the correct information, so that we can demystify some of that false information that spreads across,” Adeleye stated.

The Executive Secretary at the Nigeria Network of Religious Leaders Living with or Personally Affected by HIV/AIDS, Amber Erinmwinhe, called for stronger collaboration between the media, faith leaders, and communities to combat stigma and misinformation around HIV.

She stressed the need for unity, saying, “It is our time to sit on the same table, the media, the community, the faiths, the stakeholders. We need to be on the same table.”

Meanwhile, AHF stated that it has opened youth-focused Wellness Centres in Abuja and Benue to expand Sexually Transmitted Infections prevention, testing, and treatment services as infections rise among adolescents and young people.

The AHF Nigeria Country Programme Director, Dr. Echey Ijezie, said the establishment of centres aims at intensifying response to the rising tide of infections, aiming to provide safe, youth-friendly spaces where young Nigerians can receive timely care, counselling, and comprehensive sexual health support.

“AHF Nigeria recently opened a Wellness Centre in both Abuja and Benue, as a response to the rising waves of STIs among adolescents and young people.

“Our decision to program for this population is the reason we are partnering with the Keffi State University to expand access for students and empower other youths to take charge of their health”, he said.

See also  Retirement Benefits: Service Chiefs To Go Home With Bulletproof SUVs, Prado Jeeps, $60,000 For Medicals (PHOTOS)

According to him, the organisation will hold sensitisation exercises and campaign across states, free HIV testing, distribute condoms and other items to the public, especially youths, as part of the WAD celebration.

“The work to end HIV/AIDS is not over, which is evident by the 1.3 million new infections occurring globally each year.

“The commemoration will promote awareness, prevention, testing, and care while showing solidarity with those impacted by HIV/AIDS in the community and beyond. World AIDS Day is observed annually on December 1,” he said.

“This World AIDS Day event will highlight these ongoing challenges and reinforce the importance of keeping HIV/AIDS at the forefront of national and global public health efforts,” he added.

He emphasised the pivotal role media plays in disseminating information and forming opinions in any society, urging them to amplify issues around HIV/AIDS, STIs, and other health challenges in the media space.

Also, the AHF Africa Bureau Chief, Martin Matabishi, said, “Africa has made great strides against HIV, but rising infections, especially among adolescents and young women, remind us that the fight isn’t over.

“To overcome disruption and truly transform the AIDS response, we must embrace inclusive health policies, promote combination prevention, and empower and meaningfully collaborate with communities to lead the fight against stigma and inequality,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  ‘We mixed raw flour with water to stay alive'- Kaduna Christian rescued from kidnappers den recount ordeal

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Troops rescue 14 kidnapped victims in Benue forest

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  NHIA partners Roche to slash cancer treatment costs by 80%
Continue Reading

Trending