Connect with us

News

Manpower shortfall may delay NSCDC’s VIP protection rollout

Published

on

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps is grappling with manpower gap as it prepares to take on an expanded role in Very Important Persons protection following the withdrawal of 11,566 police officers from escort duties, The PUNCH has learnt.

Senior officials of the corps confirmed that the agency is under pressure to meet the new demand, despite having a specialised VIP Protection Unit.

An insider told our correspondent that the NSCDC had begun reviewing its internal structure to determine how it could absorb the surge in VIP security responsibilities.

“We are trying to come up with a policy document. Before now, in addition to our mandate of safeguarding critical national assets and infrastructure across the nation, we also had the NSCDC VIP Unit, which has undergone rigorous training.

“Having gone through a series of training and retraining exercises, there are indications that they will do well,” the official said.

Another officer, conversant with the corps’ tactics, acknowledged the strain on the agency’s workforce, noting that personnel shortages remained a key concern.

“It is public knowledge that the corps currently boasts a dedicated strength of over 63,000 personnel across the country.

“While this significant number forms a strong base, the leadership recognises that the new and critical tasks require a proportionate increase in specialised manpower,” he said.

The pressure on the NSCDC follows President Bola Tinubu’s approval of the withdrawal of police officers attached to VIPs, a decision aimed at redeploying personnel to communities struggling with rising insecurity.

Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, who announced the recall on Thursday, insisted the move was not politically motivated.

See also  $600m monthly diaspora remittances proof of reforms – FG

According to him, the recall of police from VIP duties was neither punitive nor political, but intended to refocus policing on communities ravaged by crime.

He cited recent spikes in kidnappings in Kwara, Kebbi and Niger states as justification for redirecting officers to high-risk areas rather than VIP protection.

Egbetokun also warned that the transition period must be carefully supervised to prevent criminals from impersonating law enforcement officers.

As security agencies adjust to the shift, private security practitioners have intensified calls for reforms to Nigeria’s private security legislation.

The Association of Licensed Private Security Practitioners of Nigeria stated that the withdrawal of police from VIP duties highlighted the urgency of updating the 38-year-old Private Guard Companies Act.

Speaking to journalists on Thursday, the Chairman of the association’s Interim Caretaker Management Committee, Maj. Gen. Elvis Njoku (retd.), said the law was outdated and ill-suited to modern security threats.

“We are pushing for amendments to the Private Guard Companies Act to incorporate modern security paradigms, such as data protection and environmental security.

“Our united front will make these demands irresistible, benefiting not just our members but the entire nation,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  $600m monthly diaspora remittances proof of reforms – FG

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu Grants Notorious Kidnapper Who Abducted Mike Ozekhome In 2013 Presidential Pardon

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  ‘We mixed raw flour with water to stay alive'- Kaduna Christian rescued from kidnappers den recount ordeal
Continue Reading

Trending