Connect with us

News

FG seeks speedy trial of terrorists

Published

on

The Attorney General of the Federation and Minster of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has urged the judiciary to expedite hearings in cases involving terrorism, human trafficking, kidnapping and other violent crimes, stressing that the judiciary must support national efforts to combat insecurity.

The AGF made the appeal on Monday in Abuja during the ceremony marking the commencement of the Court of Appeal 2025/2026 Legal Year.

The event was also attended by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, who promised improved accommodationfor judges to allow them discharge their duties without distractions associated with poor living conditions.

In his remarks, the AGF said all hands must be on desk to tackle the country’s insecurity challenges, calling on judges to support the government by fast-tracking the trial of terrorists.

Fagbemi said, “At this solemn juncture in our national life, it is also impossible to ignore the grave challenge of insecurity that confronts our country. From insurgency and terrorism to banditry, kidnapping and violent crimes, these threats imperil not only the safety of our citizens but also the very fabric of our constitutional democracy.

“The judiciary, as the guardian of justice and the custodian of the rule of law, must lend its weight to national efforts to combat insecurity through firm, consistent and courageous adjudication, the courts can ensure that those who threaten peace and stability are held accountable, that impunity is dismantled, and that the sanctity of human life and property is protected.”

He stressed that the judiciary is more effective when terrorism cases are swiftly heard.

See also  Tariff war; FG intervenes as states, Discos’ rift deepens

“The judicial system’s effectiveness strengthens when terrorism cases receive swift hearings and resolutions, which demonstrates that terrorism faces immediate and decisive legal action.

“The Federal Government remains deeply committed to combating terrorism through a combination of kinetic and non-kinetic strategies. It recognises that the swift administration of justice is a vital complement to military and intelligence operations.

“Accordingly, rather than resorting to indiscriminate detention or relying solely on battlefield engagements, the government is focused on the timely prosecution of suspects implicated in mass-casualty attacks, kidnap-for-ransom networks, extremist recruitment, and terror-financing activities,” Fagbemi said.

While acknowledging that the courts needed more personnel, he said the present administration was committed to strengthening the judiciary.

“The government is equally mindful that this can only be achieved by enhancing the capacity of the judges who would handle these cases and other cases in the docket of our courts.

“The government of President Bola Tinubu, is therefore committed to the immediate appointment of additional judges of the Federal High Court to reinforce and boost our national counter-terrorism efforts and ensure that terrorism-related cases and other cases are handled promptly and effectively.

“Let me also seize this opportunity to call on all citizens to unite in confronting the scourge of terrorism. This is a time for collective resolve – not distraction – as we work together to secure our nation.”

In his speech, the FCT Minister, Wke,  assured judges of the FCT High Court that budgetary provisions had been made for the construction of additional residential houses to address accommodation challenges facing judicial officers.

See also  Lagos bans installation of Eze Ndigbo, Seriki, threatens arrest

He said the housing project formed part of the Federal Government’s broader efforts to strengthen the judiciary by improving the welfare, security and working conditions of judicial officers.

A statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication and Social Media, Lere Olayinka, quoted Wike as saying, “The reasoning of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration is that providing comfortable and secure accommodation allows judges to focus entirely on the timely and efficient administration of justice, free from the distractions of inadequate living conditions.”

He disclosed that, under the President’s directive, the FCT Administration had formally handed over the Certificate of Occupancy for the Supreme Court’s land and commenced full perimeter fencing of the complex to safeguard the nation’s apex court against encroachment and security threats.

According to him, the intervention was long overdue and would serve as a confidence-building measure for the entire judiciary.

“This swift intervention gives the apex court the much-needed confidence that had been lacking in past administrations. This confidence-building action trickles down to every arm of the judiciary,” Wike added.

The FCTA had previously flagged off several judicial infrastructure projects, including the construction of residences for Heads of Courts, a new Magistrate Court complex in the Jabi District, and staff quarters at the Nigerian Law School.

Others include the design and construction of the Court of Appeal complex in Abuja, as well as residential quarters for judges of the National Industrial Court and the Federal High Court.

In his address, Wike reaffirmed the commitment of the FCTA to supporting comprehensive justice sector reforms, stressing that his administration would consolidate existing gains and expand support where necessary.

See also  NAFDAC resumes enforcement of sachet alcohol ban, dismisses shutdown claims

“The FCT Administration remains resolute in its determination to further support the implementation of justice reforms. Our priorities for the 2025/2026 Legal Year are focused on consolidating the gains made and expanding support where it is needed.

“Justice must never be compromised under any circumstances, for it is the bedrock of our democracy and the safeguard of public trust,” the minister said.

Wike expressed optimism that the new legal year would usher in greater efficiency and improved justice delivery for the Court of Appeal.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Officers behind foiled coup knew consequences of their action – Defense Minister

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Lagos bans installation of Eze Ndigbo, Seriki, threatens arrest

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Lagos bans installation of Eze Ndigbo, Seriki, threatens arrest
Continue Reading

Trending