Connect with us

News

Ndume lauds Tinubu over soldiers’ improved kitting, urges better pay

Published

on

The senator representing Borno South, Senator Ali Ndume, has applauded President Bola Tinubu’s latest security interventions, including improved kitting and salary for troops, saying the measures rolled out since the declaration of a national emergency on insecurity are beginning to yield tangible results.

Ndume, a former Chairman of the Senate Committee on Army and a long-time advocate of stronger frontline support for security personnel, made his remarks in a statement issued in Abuja.

His comments come weeks after Tinubu unveiled a renewed national security drive aimed at reclaiming ungoverned spaces and strengthening inter-agency operations.

One of the major steps taken by the President was the directive to the Department of State Services to immediately deploy its already-trained forest guards to flush out bandits entrenched in forests and other hard-to-reach locations.

The President also vowed that “there will be no more hiding places for agents of evil,” alongside ongoing plans to recruit additional personnel into both the Nigerian Police Force and the Army to reinforce overstretched units.

Reacting to these moves, Ndume praised the deployment order and the synergy it has created across security formations.

He said the forest guards’ involvement had significantly supported military operations, noting that “their training has gone a long way to complement the efforts of the Nigerian Army and they are happy with that too.”

The legislator also lauded the Federal Government for improvements in troop welfare,  acknowledging recent adjustments to military remuneration.

However, he maintained that more needed to be done to match regional standards.

According to him, while personnel salaries have been increased, “it is still not enough, compared to other Armed forces in the sub-region.”

See also  Nigeria grants asylum to Guinea-Bissau opposition candidate

He added: “I can see visible improvements in terms of cooperation between the Armed forces and other security agencies. That is very commendable.”

The lawmaker highlighted ongoing upgrades in military equipment and logistics, noting that “There is visible improvement in the kitting of the military in terms of new arms, uniform, protection helmets, boots and bulletproof vests.”

However, he emphasised that the government must intensify its support for active combat operations.

“But still, the government must do more by giving priority to arms and ammunition needed at the theatre of operations. They need to procure more attack helicopters, add more Armoured Personnel Carriers and gun trucks.”

Representing Borno South Senatorial District, one of the regions hardest hit by insurgency, Ndume also commended Governor Babagana Zulum for his sustained backing of military and security efforts in the state.

According to him, Zulum’s initiatives have reinforced federal operations and accelerated stabilisation efforts.

“He has invested over N100bn, supporting the Nigerian Army, the Civilian JTF, Police and other Security Agencies,” he said.

“That has complemented the efforts of the Nigerian Army. That’s very commendable. I urge other governors in the North to emulate him.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Fubara pledges to continue serving people’s interests in Rivers

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Nigeria grants asylum to Guinea-Bissau opposition candidate

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Update your C-of-O or lose property, Borno warns residents
Continue Reading

Trending