Connect with us

News

EFCC denies targeting opposition, insists on anti-graft mandate

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has dismissed claims by some political actors that it is being weaponised to target opposition politicians, insisting that its operations are guided strictly by law and its statutory mandate to combat corruption.

In a statement on its official X handle (Formerly Twitter) on Monday, the commission described allegations of “weaponisation of the EFCC,” “erosion of EFCC’s independence,” and “persecution of opposition politicians” as a misrepresentation of its role in investigating and prosecuting economic and financial crimes.

According to the EFCC, its authority is derived solely from its Establishment Act, which mandates it to investigate and prosecute all forms of economic and financial crimes, with the only exception being political office holders enjoying constitutional immunity during their tenure.

“The Commission’s weapon is its Establishment Act which provides the ground norm of its activities,” the statement said, adding that “suspects of corrupt practices from the ruling party, opposition party and non-partisan actors have no immunity and are being equally investigated and prosecuted by the EFCC.”

The anti-graft agency noted that arrests and prosecutions carried out in the last two years under the current leadership show that members of both the ruling and opposition parties have faced investigation.

“A checklist of arrests and prosecution by the Commission in the last two years under the current leadership shows that strong members of the ruling party such as former governors, ministers and others not publicly known are sharing tables with a motley number of opposition politicians as well and others,” it stated.

See also  Editors seek tax reliefs, journalists’ safety charter to strengthen democracy

The EFCC said insinuations that it was selectively targeting the opposition were “quite untenable,” arguing that accountability should not be politicised.

“Where is persecution in asking a suspect of corrupt practice to account for his sleaze?” the Commission asked, adding that “stealing, embezzlement of public funds, contract fraud, money laundering and other corrupt practices” were not excusable on political grounds.

It stressed that corruption “has no gender, religion, tribe, political party or other extraneous alignment,” warning that “selective outrage cannot be a defence against criminal investigation for graft.”

The commission further cautioned that attempts to intimidate or blackmail it into abandoning investigations posed a greater threat to democracy than its lawful actions.

“What threatens democracy is not the EFCC doing its job, but the attempt to intimidate or blackmail it into abandoning investigation allegations against corrupt opposition politicians,” the statement said.

The EFCC maintained that it would not “succumb to blackmail or be railroaded into inconclusive investigations just to be seen to be non-selective,” while calling on Nigerians to support its anti-corruption efforts.

“We enjoin all well-meaning, reform-minded and patriotic Nigerians to join hands with the EFCC in this dignity-restoring mandate,” it added.

The statement follows recent political debates over alleged pressure on opposition figures, amid claims that anti-corruption agencies were being used to weaken rivals.

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that the Presidency also rejected similar allegations, with Presidential Spokesperson Bayo Onanuga stating that President Bola Tinubu would never deploy the EFCC to harass opposition figures and that the agency operates independently within its statutory mandate.

See also  Customs intercept N48.5m cannabis, seize N220m contraband in Kaduna

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  FG pushes states to establish power firms as blackouts persist

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Minister reveals why FG hasn’t prosecuted terrorism financiers
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  PHOTOS: Tinubu to unveil N2.4tn Abuja City Walk project Thursday

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending