Connect with us

News

New year crash: Over speeding driver kills 6, injures two on Lagos-Ibadan expressway (PHOTOS)

Published

on

No fewer than six persons have been confirmed dead and two others severely injured in a road accident that occurred at

NASFAT junction, Lagos-Ibadan expressway.

The crash which involved a Mazda commercial bus and a Volvo truck occurred at about 2:36 p.m on Thursday.

The 18-seater bus was reportedly coming from Lagos when it ran underneath a truck traveling from Ibadan which was making a U-turn near NASFAT area.

The Public Relations Officer of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Ogun Sector Command, Afolabi Odunsi-Oyewole, confirmed the incident to newsmen in Abeokuta, saying eight persons were involved.

Odunsi-Oyewole ascribed the cause of the crash to over-speeding, adding that on the information, FRSC personnel from Mowe Unit, Ibafo Outpost, an ambulance team from Ojota Unit Command, MTD RCCG Police Division and TRACE Mowe division swiftly arrived the scene to rescue the victims

According to the PRO before arriving the scene, good samaritans took some injured victims to an unknown hospital while others were taken to Famobis Hospital, Lotto for medical attention.

He said , “At about 14:36hrs today first of January 2026, an auto crash occurred and frsc rescue team was informed at about 14:40hrs and the team reported at the scene at about 14:50hrs along

Lagos-Ibadan expressway at NASFAT junction.

“The crash involved two vehicles , a Mazda commercial bus and a Volvo truck .

Eight people were involved , six(6) were killed and two(2) sustained injuries.

“The cause of the crash was overspeeding.

“We were told that some good Samaritan took some injured victims to an unknown hospital before the arrival of the team. Some victims were taken to Famobis Hospital, Lotto for medical attention.

See also  Nnamdi Kanu appeals conviction, faults terrorism trial

“While the dead bodies were taken to the mogue.”

The FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun state, Corps Commander Akinwumi Fasakin has directed that a full investigation into the crash as carried out.

Recall that this comes barely four days after

Nigerian-British boxer, Anthony Joshua was involved in a road accident that left him injured and claimed the lives of his two friends.

The FRSC noted that Joshua’s driver who was over-speeding, wrongful overtook from the righthand side thereby ramming into the stationary vehicle.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  AMCON officials and lawyers face contempt charges for contravention of court orders

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Oldest Missionary To Nigeria, Ruth Elton Dies At 91

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  You can’t lie about your country and then we keep quiet - Dabiri-Erewa slams Kemi Badenoch over claim on Nigerian citizenship
Continue Reading

Trending