Connect with us

News

See why Ooni of Ife praised Zulum

Published

on

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has commended the beautiful landscape in Borno State, assuring the people that he will invite investors into the state

The monarch made the commendation on Friday evening in Maiduguri, the state capital, during a private meeting with Zulum at the Government House.

Speaking at the meeting, the Ooni described Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, as a true reformer and a beacon of transformative leadership.

Governor Zulum while welcoming the Ooni of Ife in Maiduguri. Credit. Borno govt

He expressed deep admiration for Zulum’s commitment to rebuilding Borno State, saying “I like what you are doing, I am very proud of you. I want to come closer to you. I have been a fan of yours for a long time, and you are a role model to many young people in this country.

“I am an advocate now, I will tell people to come and invest, I saw a vast amount of land, arable for any kind of farming, this state can indeed feed the entire country.

“You have proven to everybody that you are truly a reformer. A lot of us are watching you; we support everything you do,” he said

He also commended the governor’s drive towards towards development, describing it as a reason why the state is beautiful

“You have always been passionate about Maiduguri, and I always say to myself, ‘what is in Maiduguri that you are so passionate about?’ But today I came to Maiduguri, and I now see why you are always running back. I felt it when I came here. Honestly speaking, Borno is a beautiful state,” he said.

The Ooni cited deep-rooted historical and blood lineages connecting the Yorubas and the Kanuris.

See also  FG opens applications for 2026 overseas scholarship

1767422239856

He narrated “for me, as a traditional ruler from Ife, the Kanuris are our cousins, we are blood relatives, very strongly as in very, very strongly. I am a student of history, and I met our link and our affiliation.

Governor Zulum while welcoming the Ooni of Ife in Maiduguri. Credit. Borno govt

Zulum, in his response, expressed profound gratitude for the Ooni’s visit and for accepting the appointment to serve as the Chancellor of Kashim Ibrahim University.

He described the monarch as a unifying figure and a dedicated champion of national unity and cultural preservation.

The governor pledged to continue his administration’s work towards sustainable development and peace in Borno State.

The Ooni, who is the Chairman, Southern Nigeria Traditional Rulers Council (SNTRC) was in the Borno State capital to attend the combined convocation ceremony of the state-owned Kashim Ibrahim University, Maiduguri.

The Chairman, Southern Nigeria Traditional Rulers Council (SNTRC) was accompanied by the Ajero of Ijero- Ekiti Oba Joseph Adewole Adebayo, the ALAAGBA of Aagba, Oba Rufus Olayinka Ogunwole, ONIGBAYE of Igbaye, Oba Joseph Okunlola Oni, Salu of Edunabon, Oba, Kehinde Adesoji Oladepo, and the Vice Chancellor of the OJAJA University, Ilorin, Professor Jeleel Ojuade.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  New year: 2026 will be turning point for Nigeria – Tinubu

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  INEC seeks nearly N1tn for 2027 elections
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  New year: 2026 will be turning point for Nigeria – Tinubu

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  FULL LIST: Nigeria ranked 36th world’s most corrupt country in 2025

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending